People logging "finds" when they were present when the cache was placed

GeoMeerkats

What do you think of these people logging "finds" where they note that they were there when the cache was placed. How is that a "find"? Should it qualify as a "find"? Did they have to actually hunt for it like every other "finder"?

What do the rest of you think?

How would they "find" it later when they already know where it is?

They probably do it because they don't know about the ignore feature, and don't want to see it on their closest list forever. Or maybe they define "Find" different than most of us do.

I'm with BD. I wouldn't do it either, but then again I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I don't worry about other peoples numbers and what they might mean. Its just not that important to me.

They probably do it because they don't know about the ignore feature, and don't want to see it on their closest list forever. Or maybe they define "Find" different than most of us do.

There was a time when there was no ignore feature. So I think most people found them to get them out of their PQs. ;)

Another good point. If only someone had already said that. ;)

Here is an interesting situation. I was on vacation in Australia and decided to assist my nephew in placing his first ever cache (he lives in Australia) We went and got the coordinates at about 7:00 P.M. we then went to his home, put the cache together then at about 11:00 P.M. we posted the new cache to be approved and went to bed. At about 6:30 or 7:00 A.M. the next morning we went out to place the cache and found someone already looking for the cache. The reviewer had already looked it over and posted the new cache. The neat thing was that we got to meet an Australian cacher, I handed him the cache, he gave us a geocoin and we went on our way. I had no problem whatsoever with him posting this cache as a find because I shouldn't have published it until it was in place.

Hayndog

There was a time when there was no ignore feature. So I think most people found them to get them out of their PQs. ;)

Nobody did. Looking for trouble again? ;)

Anyhow, a lot of caching habits were formed in the olden days of caching. Out here when people hide a cache with a group, we walk away and let them hide it. Then they give us the coords and then we find it. We call this "beta-testing." We always log our beta test logs after the FTF as a courtesy to the FTFer. ;)

Edited by TrailGators

It's as cheesy as logging your own cache, but this does serve a purpose.

This site doesn't let two people own a cache. You can plug in any description you want as to who ownes the cache but only one account gets any credit for owning the cache. So you get stuck with the cache on your nearest list.

If you like to keep your cache count right, but can't own it, the next best thing is to "find it". Now your find count is off and your own count is off, but your total finds and hides is accurate.

In the days of old that was the only option to get rid of the thing from your nearest cache list. Now you do have the option to ignore the cache which removes it from your nearest unfound list. By using ignore but also watching it you can see who's logging the cache but not have to look at it. Your cache count will be off though.

"Beta Testing" is another way to do the exact same thing while "technically" having found the cache.

I helped each of my g'kids build and hide their own caches yesterday. They are so excited to get published!

I didn't favor them taking FTF from each other. To me, that's a cheat. JMO.

Out here the FTF goes to the first finder after the cache has been officially listed. It's the only way to ensure a fair FTF competition. ;)

Let me throw this at you. I have a separate account for my geodog. I will claim finds on caches under her account, but only when I re-visit the cache on another day. I know what you're thinking, minus well claim finds on my caches when I go conduct maintenance or revisit them for any other reason. I (we all could) could but I don't.

Addressing the original question. I don't see anything wrong with it. What does it matter how you obtained the coords to the cache so long as you sign the log. What about cachers that find caches accidentally, should they not be allowed to log a cache unless they obtained the coords from the website? How about cachers calling in a lifeline?

Those of you saying you don't care cause the numbers don't matter and everyone plays the game differently - that, to me, is a cop-out more than an opinion. Let's hear some valid arguments or don't post at all. ;)

Nobody did. Looking for trouble again? ;)

Anyhow, a lot of caching habits were formed in the olden days of caching. Out here when people hide a cache with a group, we walk away and let them hide it. Then they give us the coords and then we find it. We call this "beta-testing." We always log our beta test logs after the FTF as a courtesy to the FTFer. ;)

That's good, but I'm a bit more strict.

I appreciate those who help me place a cache, but a 'found it' will be just as hard for them as anyone else. (perhaps even harder)

If you help me place a cache, you are not permitted to sign the log (or claim a find) until the cache is approved.

Once the cache is approved, you are not permitted to return to the cache and sign the log (and claim a find) until after the FTF, or three months after the approval date...whichever comes first.

And yes, I subscribe to the same protocol for the caches I help hide.

Those of you saying you don't care cause the numbers don't matter and everyone plays the game differently - that, to me, is a cop-out more than an opinion. Let's hear some valid arguments or don't post at all. ;)
What is invalid about saying "It doesn't matter?"

If this were a discussion about "Which is better, having six cookies or half a dozen?" and someone came in and said "What's it matter? They're the same number?" would you tell 'em to not post at all because they weren't taking a side?

My analogy isn't meant to stand on the six/half dozen legs, but on the pertinence of a view that doesn't take one side or the other. ;)

Just because it isn't the view you hold or the view you oppose doesn't mean it's not true.

Edited by Too Tall John
Let me throw this at you. I have a separate account for my geodog. I will claim finds on caches under her account, but only when I re-visit the cache on another day. I know what you're thinking, minus well claim finds on my caches when I go conduct maintenance or revisit them for any other reason. I (we all could) could but I don't.

Addressing the original question. I don't see anything wrong with it. What does it matter how you obtained the coords to the cache so long as you sign the log. What about cachers that find caches accidentally, should they not be allowed to log a cache unless they obtained the coords from the website? How about cachers calling in a lifeline?

I don't think you'll get a decent argument Chuy!. It all boils down to the word "find." What constitutes a "find?" Everyone in here sees it differently. By the strict definition none of us should ever log a "find" for an LPC because you don't really "find" those. Finding implies that there was a "search." Anyhow, a lot of us view geocaching as visiting a set of coordinates and logging that we were there. It's a fun way to play the game. ;)
I helped each of my g'kids build and hide their own caches yesterday. They are so excited to get published!

Out here the FTF goes to the first finder after the cache has been officially listed. It's the only way to ensure a fair FTF competition. ;)

That's what I told the kids. They weren't very happy about it, but to me there should be some personal integrity involved.

I am curious why some folks get so angry over these types of topics? It's an exchange of ideas and philosophies. I always found such exchanges to be enriching. Someone enlighten me!

That's what I told the kids. They weren't very happy about it, but to me there should be some personal integrity involved.

I am curious why some folks get so angry over these types of topics? It's an exchange of ideas and philosophies. I always found such exchanges to be enriching. Someone enlighten me!

Tell the kids to put the show on the other foot and they might understand better.

I agree with you. I know that my opinion has changed whenever someone presents some nugget in a non-badgering manner. I think most people are pretty friendly in here. There is an ignore feature in the Control Panel to hide comments from those that are badgering or not friendly. ;)

Tell the kids to put the show on the other foot and they might understand better.

I agree with you. I know that my opinion has changed whenever someone presents some nugget in a non-badgering manner. I think most people are pretty friendly in here. There is an ignore feature in the Control Panel to hide comments from those that are badgering or not friendly. ;)

The other shoe part requires a level of maturity not yet attained. We're getting there, though! They're super great kids!

I don't feel the need to "ignore" anyone at all. I was simply curious about what I was seeing there.

The other shoe part requires a level of maturity not yet attained. We're getting there, though! They're super great kids!

It might help if you get an FTF with them. Then ask them how they would feel at that moment. It's all timing. Nothing really makes sense until you are there. My three kids (16, 18 and 20) are still "getting there" too! ;)

Doesn't seem right, does it? I mean, how much looking did they do? Why not just save time and gasoline, sign the log in the hider's living room a week or two before? Hey! Let's just do this right, sign a whole stack of logsheets at the hider's house, and you can be FTF for every cache they put out, even if you kick the bucket tomorrow!! The possibilities are endless.

Gee, I sure hope I don't come across as a little sarcastic!! ;););)

I think that if you are with the hider when it gets hidden then you should wait until the real FTF comes in one GC.c. I did go with my friend to find her first hide, but the day after it was posted and just to check the coords, but I was not there when she placed it.

I have caches I have adpoted out to other cachers and I now realize that numbers are more important to them than me as they wanted the caches that where archived in addition to the active ones. They claimed that they wanted them so they could possibly reactivate them, but now I know it was just for the numbers. That really bugs me. As for those caches I will just ignore them. I do wish they had a spot in your sig showing the number of caches you have adopted and have been adopted from you. I think it goes to show how responsible you are. If they did that they could also filter out those caches from your searches.

Maldar

Doesn't seem right, does it? I mean, how much looking did they do? Why not just save time and gasoline, sign the log in the hider's living room a week or two before? Hey! Let's just do this right, sign a whole stack of logsheets at the hider's house, and you can be FTF for every cache they put out, even if you kick the bucket tomorrow!! The possibilities are endless.

Gee, I sure hope I don't come across as a little sarcastic!! ;););)

TL have you ever been with someone else when they found a cache and you didn't? Did you sign the logbook when you didn't actually find it? ;)

It might help if you get an FTF with them. Then ask them how they would feel at that moment. It's all timing. Nothing really makes sense until you are there. My three kids (16, 18 and 20) are still "getting there" too! ;)

We only go caching one or two weekends per month, and we've not been lucky enough to FTF yet. Is there a "newly published cache list for my area list" that I can subscribe to? I'd love to take the kids for a FTF!!

Hey, I'm still "getting there" myself sometimes. ;):):);)

We only go caching one or two weekends per month, and we've not been lucky enough to FTF yet. Is there a "newly published cache list for my area list" that I can subscribe to? I'd love to take the kids for a FTF!!

Hey, I'm still "getting there" myself sometimes. ;):):);)

There are new cache notifications, but you have to be a premium member to get those.

It might help if you get an FTF with them. Then ask them how they would feel at that moment. It's all timing. Nothing really makes sense until you are there. My three kids (16, 18 and 20) are still "getting there" too! :)

Hey, I'm still "getting there" myself sometimes. ;):):D;)

There are new cache notifications, but you have to be a premium member to get those.

I reckon that alone makes the membership fee worth it... when I'm approved and learn that secret handshake thang. ;)

It might help if you get an FTF with them. Then ask them how they would feel at that moment. It's all timing. Nothing really makes sense until you are there. My three kids (16, 18 and 20) are still "getting there" too! :)

I reckon that alone makes the membership fee worth it... when I'm approved and learn that secret handshake thang. ;)

You'll also get to download Pocket Queries which is the best part! :D

You'll also get to download Pocket Queries which is the best part! :D

Can you explain what that is? Like I can choose a concentrated area and it'll give me everything for that area?

Maybe they waited around a corner in the trail until the hider was done and said they could go find it. Or searched for another cache, when the hider was done was given coords and asked to check the hiders work. Or they just play the game a bit differently than you or I. IMHO not worth loosing sleep over.

1 What is invalid about saying "It doesn't matter?"

2 If this were a discussion about "Which is better, having six cookies or half a dozen?" and someone came in and said "What's it matter? They're the same number?" would you tell 'em to not post at all because they weren't taking a side?

3 My analogy isn't meant to stand on the six/half dozen legs, but on the pertinence of a view that doesn't take one side or the other. ;)

4 Just because it isn't the view you hold or the view you oppose doesn't mean it's not true.

1 I don't like it. ;)

2 That's what I said, duh. :)

3 I know already, I heard you the first time, and the second, and the third. ;)

4 or false. ;)

I, of course, have no power to stop anyone from posting their views, or a whats-it-matter-attitude in your case, but I can pull out my voodoo doll and curse you to an eternity of lamp post finds for not agreeing with me.

I always thought it was cheesy. How can you "find" it when you already know where it is? This nonsense of turning your back or closing your eyes when the person hides it, is just that, nonsense. Most of the fun and challenge in geocaching is in getting there. Where do you park? How do you approach it? Which fork inthat trail should you take? Do you bushwack from here or is there an easier way? If you're with the hider all that has been spoon fed to you.

Having someone say "OK you can open your eyes now" and checking the few spots where I know the owner was would be very unsatisfying to me.

Having said that, if people want to claim "finds" on caches that way, it's their beeswax. It really doesn't hurt anything, other than perhaps ticking off those FTF hounds who are expecting a clean logbook.

Seems to me this is a matter of personal choice.

First of all, I can assume that the cache hider says it's ok to log the find to people who helped with the hide. If the cache owner doesn't want people to log or wants people to wait till after someone else has logged (FTF after publication) he can simple state this at the time - and can enforce this by deleting logs.

Given the cache owners permission it now becomes a matter of what you feel comfortable claiming as a find. Some will say, "How can you find something if you know where it is?" Others will have a much looser interpretation of find. The idea of finding a cache is that you have gone out either by yourself or with a group to have some fun looking for and perhaps hiding some caches. If someone in the group found a cache, you may take the approach that everyone in the group can claim a find. Likewise, if one in the group hides a cache, you may feel that the rest may claim a find on the new cache. They're not likely to go back to find it another time and besides, and even then they would have some idea of where it is was hidden.

Some people want to insists that the "find count" is something that we can use to compare one cacher to another. If some cachers will claim a find for being there when the cache was hidden, happening on another cacher who already has the cache in hand and is signing the log, finding the remains of a cache and claiming a find, finding nothing and claiming a find when the owner says to change their DNF, or logging a virtual on the other side of the earth when they find the "answers" on Google; how can we compare the count? The answer is you can't compare counts. Logging finds is base on the honor system. Cache owners have some discretion in deleting or allowing finds. There are limits on what the website can do and TPTB have decided it is not the role of Geocaching.com to be the judge of what constitutes a find. One can only control their own logging practice.

You can come to the forums and try to embarrass or shame the people you catch doing things you won't do, but you'll probably won't have much effect. Sure I see where people have posted, "I used to do such and such, but after reading what people have posted here I've seen the light and no longer do this." Frankly, I think its silly to try to proselytize here in the forum. It would be better to leave tracts in caches where more people are likely to see them :D

I think its bogus and I don't do it. Some folks make a habit of though.

January 13 by Didn'tGetFTF (816 found)

FTF Looks like the only we can beat WasThereWhentheCacheWasHidden and HidTheCache to a FTF is for them to hide the cache. Good one with lots of Jack rabbits to watch. TFTF SL Dropped off 2 TB's.

January 13 by WasThereWhentheCacheWasHidden (749 found)

There are two that go together...and mine is My Heart Belongs to Daddy...

This container is very Valentiny!!!!!

I'm testing the hearts with a drop and pickup

Edited by 9Key
What do the rest of you think?

It doesn't really affect me in any way so I don't know why it bugs me, but it does.

I haven't been out with a lot of cachers who have hidden caches, but when I have I don't claim a find on that cache until I return at a later date. The hiders I have been with have had the same mentality -- until it is published it is not a "real" cache so I shouldn't log it as a Find.

The last time I ran into this worked really well. It was on a fairly long hike, he told us on the way in that he had a cache in his backpack that he intended to hide. When we got to the general area he sent us on ahead while he stayed back to find a location. We never saw where he hid it -- heck, we didn't even see what it was he hid.

Next summer if I make the hike again I can search for it just like any other cacher. I can claim that Find as "legitimate". I don't think I would feel the same way about my Find count if he had hadn't us the logbook and said "Here, sign this."

I know other people I have talked to about this topic say "It depends." They feel if someone hides one at the top of a mountain it is different than someone sticking a micro to a garbage can on the side of the road. I can understand that but I figure there is nothing that says you have to Find every cache out there.

I think if you at least come back at a later date there is a chance the cache will have migrated slightly or other factors may have changed the location or nature of the hide. There might still be some challenge.

As I say, it shouldn't bug me because it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game...but it does.

Those of you saying you don't care cause the numbers don't matter and everyone plays the game differently - that, to me, is a cop-out more than an opinion. Let's hear some valid arguments or don't post at all. :anibad:
First off, it has occurred to me that the opposing view to "People shouldn't be allowed to log caches in this way" is, in fact, "It Doesn't Matter." Your request that the "It Doesn't Matter" crowd stay out would effectively turn the thread into a place for whiners to crank up the angst, and nothing more.

Secondly:

Too Tall John What is invalid about saying "It doesn't matter?"

Chuy! I don't like it. :ph34r:

Too Tall John Too bad. :D Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it isn't valid.

Too Tall John If this were a discussion about "Which is better, having six cookies or half a dozen?" and someone came in and said "What's it matter? They're the same number?" would you tell 'em to not post at all because they weren't taking a side?

Chuy! That's what I said, duh. :cool:

Too Tall John So, if that's what you said, you are saying you'd tell someone who had a valid point to shut up? :rolleyes:

And lastly:
I, of course, have no power to stop anyone from posting their views, or a whats-it-matter-attitude in your case, but I can pull out my voodoo doll and curse you to an eternity of lamp post finds for not agreeing with me.
The way LPC's are becoming more and more common, why bother? We're all doomed anyways. :rolleyes:

Post on, you "It Doesn't Matter"-ers! Your opinion is, in fact, an opinion, despite what Chuy! says, and it does count!

They probably do it because they don't know about the ignore feature ...

I disagree. They do it to boost their find count.

I only had the privilege of helping a friend place one cache. He did give me the opportunity to opt out after a cache run earlier that afternoon. We had a good time exploring a great park I had never visited. We debated hiding spots and compared coordinates. I was able to influence the final product. It's his cache, but I smile when I read the find logs. I wrote nothing in the cache logbook, but I posted the first online log. A NOTE. I will never get credit for hiding or finding it, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Have any of you naysayers ever been with caching someone else when they found the cache and you didn't? Did you sign the logbook when you didn't actually "find" the cache? So let he who has never logged a cache, that he hasn't actually found all by himself, cast the first stone! :D

If you step back and look at the big picture, it seems really silly to be right next to someone when you watch them drop a cache at a cool spot and not sign the back of logbook as a beta-tester. My signature simply means that "I was there" at that spot! Caching has always been about visiting cool spots around the country for me. So if I "was there" I will sign the log! :rolleyes:

Get over it.

There are no rules. We all play the game the way we want to. You'll only cause yourself untold frustration if you try and impose your rules on everyone else.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

I'm moving a little closer to this camp the more I cache. You only have so much energy. Expending it worrying about how others play is really a bad use of it.