GPSMAP 60CSX

What are some ways I can check the accuracy of my unit?

As far as coordinates and the compass? Those both seem to be off (yes I calibrated the compass). I have had it around a year now and I love it. I think it's a fine unit and has some great features. Specifically I am having trouble finding caches. More than likely it is me and my lack of experience. But it seems like when I have it set to go to a cache, it seems to be off track. Then on the other hand when I set it to say "go home" coordinates, it's right on the money. Thinking maybe I need to upgrade my mao from the base map it came with?

Any tips on using the GPS 60cxs much appreciated!

What are some ways I can check the accuracy of my unit?

As far as coordinates and the compass? Those both seem to be off (yes I calibrated the compass). I have had it around a year now and I love it. I think it's a fine unit and has some great features. Specifically I am having trouble finding caches. More than likely it is me and my lack of experience. But it seems like when I have it set to go to a cache, it seems to be off track. Then on the other hand when I set it to say "go home" coordinates, it's right on the money. Thinking maybe I need to upgrade my mao from the base map it came with?

Any tips on using the GPS 60cxs much appreciated!

The biggest thing you can do to maximize accuracy is:

1) Make sure you have fresh batteries

2) Make sure you have calibrated your compass after changing the batteries.

3) Let your GPS settle for several minutes before taking a reading.

As long as you have a clear view of 3-4 satellites, this process will pretty consistently get you within 10-20 feet of the true ground zero. ;)

Is there anyway to download the hints into the GPS unit? I get the description and coordinates fine. The hints would be helpfull.
You can use GSAK for load %Smartname=10 %hint into the Cache Description field of a PQ that you download.

Crakerjacks; You have to remember the unit you have has one of te hstrongest receivers. It is only as accruate at the one the person hid the cache. I find a lot of caches are off but it is not my unit it is the persons unit thZAt hid the cache. If the hidder does not get a good signal it will appear that your unit is the one off but in reality it is theres hjope thisa clears some of yopur problem up

Crackerjacks,

I see that you have one cache to your name. My guess is that you just don't know what to look for yet. When I first started caching I missed a lot of them and it was no fault of the GPS unit. They say that when you get to about 20 feet from the cache you should put your GPS'r away and start looking. I find this to be very good advice.

I agree with other posts that your GPS is probably right on the money, just don'r rely on it so much.

Today was my first day to play with my new 60Csx. I have been using an Etrex legend for the past year. I was a little confused by one aspect. In comparing then side-by-side, my legend showed and accuracy af 7ft. My 60 showed an accuracy of 17ft. Yet they shoed an identical Lat reading and the Lon was off by .001, and that was probably from sitting beside the other unit. I was just perplexed by it showing a lower accuracy level. has anyone else noticed anyhting similar? Has my unit not baked in long enough?

scuba

The 60C(S)x reports a very, very conservative accuracy. The reported accuracy is only a calculated guess and should not be taken very seriously. You can only use it to compare relative accuracy. What I mean by that is you can say “I’m getting better accuracy here than I was getting over there.” I’ve found that every time I’ve checked my actual accuracy against an adjusted benchmark the reported accuracy was 2 to 3 times higher. Example, actual accuracy was 4’ – 6’ and reported accuracy was 17’.

I have to chime in here, we use the 60CSx at work locating manholes. The field guy had "lost" a manhole and ask me if I could find it for them. I have collected the locations for all the manholes in our system and they knew the number of the one in question. I pullled up that waypoint, clicked GOTO and gave it to the guy. "What so I do with THIS?" Follow the arrow and tell me if you find it...well 2 hours later I got a phone call. When they were looking where they thought the manhole was it was telling them to go another 75'. I told them to just FOLLOW the arrow, after a few minutes of discussion they tool the path of the gps. I got another call. When the gps said stop they were on a burn pile with a few tires and junk all around, including a manhole! After that the guys were hooked on the accuracy of the units and they have quickly gained a new respect of what I do!

as they should..........that's what sets GPS devices apart, their interpretation of the signals and then converting that to the user standpoint (routing)

you could have all the bells and whistles (flashlight, radio, touchscreen, camera)....but if a handheld doesnt get you within 30-50ft of the needed destination on reasonable battery usage, then it just is not doing what the device is meant to do