Do any of you use your Nintendo DS to geocache?

elmuyloco5

We have a Wii......love the idea of thing....but we've had it for 6 months and had it replaced twice and repaired twice and now it's broken again after 2 weeks. So, we asked them to send us some DS lite units instead for our kids. They had the first DS systems a few years back, but we hadn't seen anything on the newer lite systems. I just read that with Opera you can browse the internet wi-fi at hotspots. I was thinking it might be handy for us to geocache as our PDA is nice, but not wi-fi capable. I was curious if any of you use your DS system for this purpose and how you like it? Do you find it helpful in caching, or is it unnecessary? We already paperlessly cache with our PDA, but there are times that we wish we could see a bit more of the info that's online. I was thinking mapwise it might be helpful too.

Thanks. Yeah, won't work in the woods, but when we travel we like to hit some easy caches along the way. I usually prepare stuff ahead of time, but there have been occasions when we haven't liked the area that a bunch of the ones I chose were located. It would've been nice to be able to look for a few more in the area while we were out there. We have a laptop that we take along on longer trips, but even laptops can get a bit bulky and my stupid computer is temperamental and half the time won't connect. Something handheld would be nice. The opera thing for the DS is cheap so I thought, hey why not? Now the trick is figuring out how to get my kids to stop playing so I can use it! :)

Does anyone actually have the opera software though and uses it on their DS? Just wondering what the quality is like?

Funny you should mention the NDS because I was wondering if anyone had written any homebrew for paperless caching with it? I dont have a PDA but I have a NDS with a M3 Simply card. I figured not many people would think of using their NDS for this purpose, but I think it would be great.

I have a 2GB microSD for the M3 Simply and according to wiki the NDS has 4MB of ram. This should be plenty of room for a program to access an XML file and to parse through it.

Are there any programs out there for paperless caching and the NDS? If not I will probably see if I can just write it myself.

Thanks

Elicate

Sorry for writing in German, google translation below.

We don't want to search for a geocache with a Nintendo DS but have a small geocaching game for the Nintendo DS.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vi27m1sjvtg6ot/20220213-091753-720x1540%20%28online-video-cutter.com%29.mp4?raw=1

https://img.geocaching.com/dc3a89dc-2109-4d88-8f3a-8be2b160e8ad.jpg

It runs on the Nintendo DS, Desmume (Windows) and Lemuroid (Android) and many more.

Unfortunately we have no idea how to submit it as a listing in compliance with the guidelines.

Quote:

"Downloads

A cache page that requires one or more of the following will generally not be published:

Using memory sticks and similar devices
Installing files or executing programs"

and

"Allowed

PDF files
    Text files (examples: .txt, .doc)
    Music files (examples: .mp3, .wav)
    Video files (examples: .avi, .mp4, .mov)"

It is also not possible to store the hyperlink to the Nintendo DS cartridge in a Wherigo's inventory as an alternative.

We also don't want to deposit a Nintendo DS with this game in a library, cafe, etc.

Unfortunately, we don't know of any online Nintendo DS emulators that allow you to upload your own cartridges.

Ideas for a listing using this Nintendo DS cartridge without violating the guidelines are welcome. Thank you very much. :-)
  • Funny 2