Would it be tacky...

PlantAKiss

Is it tacky to make someone double back and walk an area they've already walked on a multi-stage cache?

I went out today scouting to place a multi-stage in a park. My purpose is to take someone on a beautiful walk in the woods (along a path) with the stages being placed at interesting sites. I had hoped to make it a loop but that didn't work out. I found several good spots for the stages but... one spot is "out of alignment" with the others and would mean someone would have to walk to the left...then double back and return to the original spot to continue on the walk. So the walk would be sort of like a "T"...with the bottom of the T being the starting point. I don't know if that would be irritating to someone make someone walk back down a path where they've already been to continue the hunt.

Does anyone understand what I mean? :)

It's not something I'd want to do for a multi (prefering a single path with no "detours" to the final stage) but I really like a particular spot and can't get a person there without taking them away from the main line to the final.

I know EXACTLY what you mean, and I hope someone with lots of experience and a good reputation in geocaching answers you. I'm facing a similar dilemma with a cache that I am planning(still in spotting and testing for muggle-proofness).Is muggle-proofness a word? It should be.

Gonna have to watch this thread in hopes someone gives us the green light on this.

I have seen multi's like this, I think they are acceptable because it is the final target, and the path is irrelevant really!

If YOU think that it would be suitable then place it, if you dont then dont place it, or make it a few standard caches and then look for a more suitable location for a multi.

Our newest cache requires a cacher to walk the same path from the starting point to the 2nd point, then to get to the 3rd point they have to backtrack about 200mtrs.

We're doing the same sort of thing in one of our new caches because the view is incredible and the last point has the best view, but you have to backtrack to it. Of course, you want to end with the best view, and it has the perfect hiding spot for a large container.......I think it would be weird to get the big part of the cache in the middle of the multi. For ours, I don't think it matters as the trip is to a point and you have to back track to get back to your car anyway.

I was seeking a multi once......It was near a lake and everything could be accessed by boat (if you had one). Walking was another matter. 1/2 mile down old railroad bed for 1st set of coordinates. Enter the set for the 2nd stage and find it is about 100 feet on the other side of where the railroad bridge USED TO BE. Ok, swim or go around to the other side. Hauling a bunch of kids answers that. So we walk back out the 1/2 mile, get in the car and go to the other parking lot. Oh! ANOTHER 1/2 mile walk! :blink: we walk down and search for the cache but are unable to find it. Kids are whining and tired and hot. We sit down under a tree to rest and then head back to the car. I go at another time alone and find second micro and the coords to the final. Imagine my surprise when I put the coords in and find myself at the tree we were resting under. The final cache was under the pinestraw behind us the whole time! :) It was fun though!

I say that you are to be commended for your effort to make the cache interesting, and that a bit of backtracking doesn't matter one little bit. I'd MUCH rather walk twice through an interesting area than once to get to a cache which was located "because there's space for a cache here".

I do a lot of hiking. Sometimes I look for loop hikes. But the truth is that I never get bored on an out-and-back, because I see different things on the way back, when I'm looking in a different direction.

Edward

I'd say it sorta depends on the length, too. In this "T" shape... if it's y'know... a regular walking path... not like crossing half the city or something, I'd say it's fine. If you have to backtrack a kilometer of hiking or something, I could see THAT as being in the grey zone of kinda "ehhh... I dunno" when placing it.

But yeah, as long as you're not backtracking them a few hours hiking or something, I'd definitely still go for it :blink:.

Heck, if I had to backtrack several kilometers, I'd STILL go for it, but that's besides the point... others might not :)

Is it tacky to make someone double back and walk an area they've already walked on a multi-stage cache?

I went out today scouting to place a multi-stage in a park. My purpose is to take someone on a beautiful walk in the woods (along a path) with the stages being placed at interesting sites. I had hoped to make it a loop but that didn't work out. I found several good spots for the stages but... one spot is "out of alignment" with the others and would mean someone would have to walk to the left...then double back and return to the original spot to continue on the walk. So the walk would be sort of like a "T"...with the bottom of the T being the starting point. I don't know if that would be irritating to someone make someone walk back down a path where they've already been to continue the hunt.

Does anyone understand what I mean? :)

It's not something I'd want to do for a multi (prefering a single path with no "detours" to the final stage) but I really like a particular spot and can't get a person there without taking them away from the main line to the final.

Another option is to make it a two part multi with the coords to a bonus cache (the out of the way point) at the final. The bonus cache would be listed as a mystery cache with fake coords on the cache page.

It's perfectly fine. I prefer to use a loop when setting up a multi, but it's not always possible. If it's an enjoyable walk I don't think anyone would mind doubling back. In fact things look a bit different when you are in a different direction and you may notice things you didn't on the way out.

Thanks for all the replies. That helps. ;)

I'd MUCH prefer to do a loop as well. I really wanted to call it "Owl Loop"...as there are owls in this area. But I can't make a loop and hit these interesting things I've found. (Plus I already have a cache in the area to avoid.)

And, as for me, if I'm in the woods, it doesn't matter if I'm coming or going, I'm happy! I always see fascinating things. However, I know for some people, they just want to get to the cache. Not everyone feels about hikes through the woods like I do. The walk is not too long and will involve a minor climb and some obstacles to go over or around. I am looking forward to going back to start the grit work--getting coords, working out the hides. ;)

Once I get this second cache placed, if a cacher does both of mine, they will spend some good time in the woods. You never know what you are going to see when surrounded by nature. I got a great hawk photo from this location. I'm hoping one day to find the owls. ;)

Does anyone understand what I mean? ;)

Given what you have said, I'd do One multi cache that gives the walk you are after, then list the odd cache as it's own thing. People will go to all the caches and see all the sights.

Given what you have said, I'd do One multi cache that gives the walk you are after, then list the odd cache as it's own thing. People will go to all the caches and see all the sights.

I did actually consider that. However, that would mean making the off-spot a micro and...well...I swore I would not place a micro...at least not for a good while and not unless it was something amazing. I stopped bothering to read the new cache listings--inevitably micros. I like some micros...really enjoyed many of them...but we need some regular caches around here and I'm gonna get some out there. So far I've gotten good comments on my first cache. I vow not to spew micros nor throw a Gladware container under a bush.

Wow...12 point multi! That must have been something. ;)

You could allude to the backtrack nature of the walk in the cache name or description. Mr. T, Backtrack, I've been this way before, etc.

Do you want a lot of visits? It's sad but true that multis just don't get the visits that single stage caches do. If these were set up as singles, you'll get a lot more visits.

Personally, I'm more likely to head for an area with three single caches than one solitary multi, especially when geocaching with my wife who hates multis. This is especially true because she hates most micros, which usually are used as the intermediate stages.

But, it's YOUR cache, so do it the way you'll be happy with.

I see no problem with that particular set up for a multi (I've done a "back and forth" type multi where I ended up walking the same bit of trail 5 times... but at least each leg was a bit shorter than the previous one :( something like 800 meters east, tag, 600 meters west, tag, 400 meters east, tag, 300 meters west, tag, 200 meters east, tag, 100 meters north, cache!)

I have a suggestion though, that I think is good for any multicache : please indicate approximately how long it is. Something like "expect to walk about 1 mile" or "expect to walk about 10 miles" or "you will have to drive between waypoints" will help geocachers decide if that particular cache is one they want to do or not. The number of waypoints is also nice to know, but not as important than the distance, I believe. I hate when I get to a waypoint in a multi cache and see that the next waypoint is so far it would take an hour to drive there... really, I've seen that :P

It's sad but true that multis just don't get the visits that single stage caches do.

You know...I found that out--and I'm really surprised. :P My first multi find was in a park (that I was familiar with) and I had a great time walking a loop in a pretty park with the bonus of some cache hunting. Thoroughly enjoyed it because of the walk. Exercise! Pretty day!

When I placed my first cache (in this same area that I want to place the 2nd), I was very surprised to see that people didn't flock to the new cache listing. I worked really hard on it and was so excited. The logs came in slowly. All complimentary but... I guess I'm finding out that not that many people like a good hike in the woods. :( I can't understand that personally.

I'd say my first cache takes about a half an hour to find all 3 stages and get back to your car. Maybe more if you get stuck and have to look a while. My second one, if I get it placed, will take about the same or a little more. There is one single cache in this area. My goal was to have enough caches in this recreation area that someone could go to there and get several caches over a period of a couple of hours. Wouldn't have to keep getting in and out of a car driving around for short hunts.

I guess its just me loving being in the woods. It was SOOO beautiful there last weekend with fall starting to kick in. I can't imagine someone not enjoying a hunt like that. But...everyone has what is cachelicious to them I guess.

I'll keep making hiking multis and regulars as my defense against micro spew for as long as I can find available space. :(

It's sad but true that multis just don't get the visits that single stage caches do.

You know...I found that out--and I'm really surprised. B) My first multi find was in a park (that I was familiar with) and I had a great time walking a loop in a pretty park with the bonus of some cache hunting. Thoroughly enjoyed it because of the walk. Exercise! Pretty day!

When I placed my first cache (in this same area that I want to place the 2nd), I was very surprised to see that people didn't flock to the new cache listing. I worked really hard on it and was so excited. The logs came in slowly. All complimentary but... I guess I'm finding out that not that many people like a good hike in the woods. B) I can't understand that personally.

I'd say my first cache takes about a half an hour to find all 3 stages and get back to your car. Maybe more if you get stuck and have to look a while. My second one, if I get it placed, will take about the same or a little more. There is one single cache in this area. My goal was to have enough caches in this recreation area that someone could go to there and get several caches over a period of a couple of hours. Wouldn't have to keep getting in and out of a car driving around for short hunts.

I guess its just me loving being in the woods. It was SOOO beautiful there last weekend with fall starting to kick in. I can't imagine someone not enjoying a hunt like that. But...everyone has what is cachelicious to them I guess.

I'll keep making hiking multis and regulars as my defense against micro spew for as long as I can find available space. :huh:

Please don't be deterred by the lack of "finds". I wish more people would place caches along nice hikes in the woods. If you look at my profile, you'll see that I've done a lot of drive up type caches, but that's because we chose to focus on our state challenge from the beginning (we're newbies) and we did quick caches along the way. But, as an avid hiker, I can tell you that a nice hike to a cache is so much more rewarding than the quick drive up type. Yeah, less people will go and it's a shame, but those who do go will really be glad you took the time. There's such a large saturation of mindless caches in most large cities. They're fine and have their place in the game, but lack much of a point other than "just because". There are cachers out there that look for a purpose in caching. Keep doing it for them.

You know...I found that out--and I'm really surprised. B) My first multi find was in a park (that I was familiar with) and I had a great time walking a loop in a pretty park with the bonus of some cache hunting. Thoroughly enjoyed it because of the walk. Exercise! Pretty day!

When I placed my first cache (in this same area that I want to place the 2nd), I was very surprised to see that people didn't flock to the new cache listing. I worked really hard on it and was so excited. The logs came in slowly. All complimentary but... I guess I'm finding out that not that many people like a good hike in the woods. B) I can't understand that personally.

I'll keep making hiking multis and regulars as my defense against micro spew for as long as I can find available space. :huh:

Definitely keep placing the kind you like to seek. There are lots of people that the purpose of the "hunt" is to sign the log and move on to the next one as quickly as possible. I always go for a nice long walk in the woods as my first choice of caching....however, there are lots of days that I just don't have the time, so I need to grab something more quickly....as I did in your fair city last week! B)

Hopefully I'll have some more time on my next trip and I can go hike and find some of your gorgeous cache locations!

I find it helpful if the cache description gives the total approx distance I have to walk so I can decide whether its too far, or need more time because its close to sunset, etc. Since most cachers don't give this info, I usually skip multi's. I'm sure I;m not the only one, so if you hiders want more activity, you ought to consider adding the total distance. Thanks

Edited by Alan2

I appreciate the comments. Thanks y'all. :laughing: And maybe I will make mention of the approximate time for the walk. I guess because I love hiking in the woods so much I can't understand someone opting to spend a half hour running from shopping center to shopping center instead of a half an hour in a beautiful forest. Maybe because you get more find numbers than a multi. BUT...I do understand "to each his or her own." Its all in what floats your boat. It takes all kinds to make the cache go 'round. :)

I did do a "survey" this weekend and was disappointed to find my planned first stage is too close to my other cache. However, I am going to make it just a "hey look at this" waypoint. So, I have some thinking to do and some revisions and another visit to work it all out. Working on a cache and being creative with the stages and hides is really fun. :D

I did do a "survey" this weekend and was disappointed to find my planned first stage is too close to my other cache. However, I am going to make it just a "hey look at this" waypoint. So, I have some thinking to do and some revisions and another visit to work it all out.

The proximity guideline is no longer enforced if that stage of a multi is a virtual stage, meaning that there is no container there. If it's just a sign that the searcher needs to pick numbers off, it could be within .1 mile of another cache.

Does anyone understand what I mean? :anibad:

IMHO, I would place it and ask for comments on the cache page. You will find out what people think...

LOL

Personally speaking, I did a multi-cache last week where I walked a mile down a path to the micro-cache, got the cache co-ords and came back down the same path to find the "big cache". I find it very humorous that I have actually just passed the objective, especially if it is pretty obvious once you know what you are looking for. Providing that the walk is nice and worth it I see no problem. In fact, on this occasion it was good because it was getting late in the day and I did not want to walk miles from the car so it worked well.

The only down side for me is that when I walk on a multi-cache trail now I instinctively look left and right along the trail to see if I can see a likely cache location. If I was to spot one en-route I've no doubt that I could not help myself and investigate. If I discovered the "big cache" before other parts of the multi that would defeat the object. I know that a certain degree of "self-policing" to stop this is required, but I hope you understand what I mean. :)