Received Travel bug with non matching numbers

salz69

I recently purchased a travel bug dog tag from a member on Ebay. The tracking number on the bags label matches the number on the "copy" tag (which is #JKxxxx), but not the other tag (the "real" one- that number is #XNxxxx). When I went to enter the number and activation code it says that number is owned by someone else. What do I do now? :)

Not sure how you can switch tags in a sealed baggie. Send them back.

he's giving me trouble, says I need to deal with Groundspeak....he is the one who sold it to me. :)

What's the seller's rating?

99.1%...you'd think he'd be OK....What do I do next, publish his companies name here? His company is advertised on Groundspeak as a "Distributor"

With a 99.x% I would have thought the seller would have been much more helpful.

Well, you have four options.

1) Negative feedback - last resort

2) Mediation - usually available through Ebay

3) Contact TPTB and see what they have to say about it

4) Track down the person and ... nevermind, that's a bad option

So I guess you have three options. =)

With a 99.x% I would have thought the seller would have been much more helpful.

Well, you have four options.

1) Negative feedback - last resort

2) Mediation - usually available through Ebay

3) Contact TPTB and see what they have to say about it

4) Track down the person and ... nevermind, that's a bad option

So I guess you have three options. =)

sorry if I sound stupid but, TPTB? :)

Okay, this is take the numbers you provided me. The XN number as you stated, is already being used by another cacher. The JK could be activated and work as normal. It stinks only having one tag and that one being the copy but it will still work. Should it go missing you can always make up a new copy tag. It's what we all have to do when both tags end up lost.

Groundspeak is not going to send you a new metal tag. They don't make them. So depending how much you you want to fight you can either keep it or send it back telling this guy you are less than satisfied with the product and want a refund. The fact that the tags are wrong is not your fault and you do not have accept them.

That's totally unacceptable. You should firmly request a total refund (including shipping costs, since it's the seller's error). If the seller refuses, you probably don't have any further mediation options on eBay since the cost is probably less than $25. At that point it's definitely worth leaving negative feedback. I don't recommend negative feedback lightly, but this seller has sold you a clearly defective product, and failure to rectify the situation means you need to warn future buyers. But send at least three emails first, remaining calm and clearly and firmly stating that the product is defective. That way you have the emails to back up your feedback.

Edward

That's totally unacceptable. ..At that point it's definitely worth leaving negative feedback. I don't recommend negative feedback lightly, but this seller has sold you a clearly defective product, and failure to rectify the situation means you need to warn future buyers. But send at least three emails first, remaining calm and clearly and firmly stating that the product is defective. That way you have the emails to back up your feedback.

Edward

Great points Edward

Not sure how you can switch tags in a sealed baggie. Send them back.

he's giving me trouble, says I need to deal with Groundspeak....he is the one who sold it to me. ;)

Its not just an errant number - if the tag is registered to someone else, it's most likely off of an active travelbug. Is there a TB page associated with it?

Yes there is, activated by a cacher back in October. Regardless, he shouldn't have two tags with two different numbers. Send'em back.