Multiple people under one account

anakerose

Just curious on this one. I think our local high school has the students geocaching. I started noticing multiple log entries by the same username, but on the logs themselves have different first names. Example cache (one of mine) GC13NC6. Is this allowed? I emailed the account to ask about what they're doing. What do you guys think? I'm all for the kids getting involved, but shouldn't they each have their own account? or at least have one account between 2-3 people (teams). So far I've seen more than 25 different names attached to the log entries all under the same username.

Just curious on this one. I think our local high school has the students geocaching. I started noticing multiple log entries by the same username, but on the logs themselves have different first names. Example cache (one of mine) GC13NC6. Is this allowed? I emailed the account to ask about what they're doing. What do you guys think? I'm all for the kids getting involved, but shouldn't they each have their own account? or at least have one account between 2-3 people (teams). So far I've seen more than 25 different names attached to the log entries all under the same username.

Heyyy, at LEAST they are logging them. Lotsa folks don't.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

As long as there is no abuse, I don't think they're doing anything wrong. :D

I've heard of dozens of folks using a cache machine account.

Maybe GC.c can create an new type of account for schools that have classes into caching. The main account will keep track of the total finds, but sub accounts can post individual logs. I'm sure it is all about privacy for the students. Would also be nice for family accounts like this as sometimes the whole family may not cache together all the time and they could keep track of individual finds per family member.

Heyyy, at LEAST they are logging them. Lotsa folks don't.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

As long as there is no abuse, I don't think they're doing anything wrong. :D

I've heard of dozens of folks using a cache machine account.

I'll agree with that.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

...I started noticing multiple log entries by the same username, but on the logs themselves have different first names .... but shouldn't they each have their own account? or at least have one account between 2-3 people (teams). So far I've seen more than 25 different names attached ....

1st... it's not about the numbers.

But I agree with you: 1 account for maybe up to 4 people should be ok; but 25!? :D

But how to control this? In the end... they're geocaching and have fun :D

Martin

I think if it's a group find then it should be a group log. After all everyone didn't find it. Someone found it and the rest just signed the log.I would not want to see the same user name over and over again in my logs. I also would not like to see one find take up two pages in the log book for all of the names in the group.

Dont get me wrong guys, I'm not upset about this, I was just curious if you're allowed to do it. I think it's great if the high school is getting the kids involved. As long as they respect the caches and don't destroy anything I'm fine with it. Thanks for your input.

Good question. Are we talking about sharing a paid (as in $) membership account? It sounds like these kids are organized and geocaching as a group. So it is not like they are sharing an account/pw via myspace or facebook with other teenagers they don't know?

Anyway, what is the purpose of posting a geo-cache as a paid member only? Are member only caches stuffed with money?

Just curious.

M, N and G

Edited by gamewiz1104

Anyway, what is the purpose of posting a geo-cache as a paid member only? Are member only caches stuffed with money?

Making a cache an MOC means that its page viewing is restrictted to premium members. If the cache is any better, worse, or stuffed with money is all up the person(s) that set up the cache. There's not any sort of extra requirements for making a cache a MOC, just the same stuff that applies to all other caches here.

I don't believe they are premium members. I'll see what I get back from the email I sent to the username. I almost deleted the multiple log entries until I noticed there were several names under each log that were different.

They do NOT have a Premium Membership. If I thought someone was using my caches to inflate their numbers, I would delete them. As you have also noticed, this does not seem to be the case here. I would offer to educate them about other options, but I would not delete these either.

Looking at the logs for that one I think you're right, it is from a class of some kind. looks like someone is teaching them not only about geocaching, but responsibility and courteousness in responding as well. Even though what they've done is a bit unorthodox, I'd leave it, or tell them how much you enjoy their comments and encourage them to open accounts of their own once the class ends.

As long as they are learning the proper respect for the outdoors & the cache owners property I think it is great. Anything to get kids outside & away from video games & television. They get out & still get to play with electronics. They are learning skills that may prove invaluable someday. I salute the school/educators who are doing this. I hope they are doing caches with some good hikes &/or ones where they are learning something about the history, flora/fauna or geology of the area.

Screw the numbers, don't do anything to discourage these kids!

I don't believe they are premium members. I'll see what I get back from the email I sent to the username. I almost deleted the multiple log entries until I noticed there were several names under each log that were different.

If you get a reply, I would suggest to the teacher/advisor (assuming it may be him/her) to have the kids open their own team or individual accounts. Or, as has been suggested, ask them to log one group find if they are indeed all going together. I would find it annoying to come across those most recent 5 logs on the page to see the same ID saying nothing constructive about the cache. But more power to them for enjoying the cache!

And boy do I wish they had that class/club when I was in school! :D

Let's say there is the team "PPM" (Peter, Paul & Mary)...

If they found one of my caches and log it once as PPM - I'm happy :-)

If Peter will log it as PPM and Paul will log it as PPM and also Mary will log it as PPM,

I (as cache owner) would delete the last two logs.

So I don't care how many people will use a "team account"

but I would not like that all of them will log individually with the same account!

Anyhow.. I know a few "team accounts" but the worsed case never happened to me :-)

Martin

The abuse here is that when they surpass your 'finds count' you will be pissed that your ranking is not on top anymore.

I'm sure that some of the people who do not live by itsnotaboutthenumbers and instead live by itsallaboutthenumbers have passed 20,000 or more using just such a despicable method.

Surrender your caches and GPSr. Resistance is futile. Your hide style and GPSr will be added to our own. borg.gif

Better that they go as one large team than waste 25 different good account names on teens who may or may not take to the sport. We don't really need more names locked up by former participants with only a handful of finds.

I mean, pretty soon every new member is going to have to choose some ridiculous name like nonaeroterraqueous, when all of the good names are taken.

Dont get me wrong guys, I'm not upset about this, I was just curious if you're allowed to do it. I think it's great if the high school is getting the kids involved. As long as they respect the caches and don't destroy anything I'm fine with it. Thanks for your input.

It's too bad that they didn't split the class up into "teams" of 3 student each with 8 or so accounts.

Regarding members only caches.

IMO, geocaching.com could handle these better. Presumably, one of the reasons for creating a MOC is that it provides an incentive for non-premium members to become paying customers, thus continuing toward the improvement and maintenance of the site. I would hope that owners of MOC caches would try to have some value added feature to MOC caches beyond a cache open to basic members. However, when a basic member attempts to view a MOC the listing gives a somewhat cryptic error message rather than just display the short and long description. Thus, a basic member has no way of knowing that the cache may be "full of money" and not just another micro in a light pole. As the site is currently implemented it doesn't provide any incentive to basic members to become premium members since it doesn't provide a mechanism for informing basic members that they may be missing out on a "better" cache.

I don't see any problem with that. I know of a cache team of 6 people- childhood friends. They have their own account and also the 6 people have a team account... they stated on the profile that it was a TEAM account. So they logs their own and the team account. To me... why not, if they are having fun doing it that what, that is what I care about.