My first hide - Need input

MaplessInSeattle

Ok, here is the scenario.

I will soon be populating a 625 Acre park with caches. Yup, don't you wish you lived here.

Anyways, the problem I've run into with my first cache is this.

The hide location is under dense cover. PointB

I have located a spot, that is 130 feet away. PointA

Can I send users to PointA, telling them to walk 130 ft heading 168° true, at which point, a pun, will reveal they have arrived at the correct location.

If this doesn't make sense, I'll actually post what I plan to use for the comments/notes in full, leaving out coordinates of course.

Also. My microcache is custom made.

It is actually a section of a Black Locust tree that has been spaded out to 1 1/8 inches on the bottom, and the 35mm film canister loaded inside of it. The container is a 35mm this would make it Micro, but the section of tree is bigger than hand-sized, this is still a micro right, because of the size of the log container?

I can link to a picture of it, but it would be a spoiler for someone going after my find.

Hope this made sense, and hope someone has advice/input.

Peace,

MaplessInSeattle

I will soon be populating a 625 Acre park with caches.

If there is a park of that size in the area with no caches, you might want to check. There might be a reason there are no caches. Could be a park policy.

Can I send users to PointA, telling them to walk 130 ft heading 168° true, at which point, a pun, will reveal they have arrived at the correct location.

If this doesn't make sense, I'll actually post what I plan to use for the comments/notes in full, leaving out coordinates of course.

Yes you can. This is called an offset cache, which is a form of a multi cache.

Also. My microcache is custom made.

It is actually a section of a Black Locust tree that has been spaded out to 1 1/8 inches on the bottom, and the 35mm film canister loaded inside of it.

I hope that isn't an existing tree in the park. The guidelines expressly prohibit damaging or altering trees or any property in order to place a cache.

The container is a 35mm this would make it Micro, but the section of tree is bigger than hand-sized, this is still a micro right, because of the size of the log container?

I think that if the container is actually part of the larger object, rather than something that is removed from it, that you list the size of the larger object. Others disagree with me.

Oh and please don't use a film canister. They are not waterproof. And as Starbrand mentioned, read the guidelines. I mean really read them. Really.

Edited by briansnat

If there is a park of that size in the area with no caches, you might want to check. There might be a reason there are no caches. Could be a park policy.

There are two in the park, but I've already checked the distances. Other users used the "popular" areas of the park, I'm using the more "rugged" areas. There is no park policy, nor municipal code governing geocaches, and i'm in good with the parks dept supervisor, since I alert them to problems in the park before they usually know they exist, like the 6 ft deep abandoned well I found by falling into it :D

Yes you can. This is called an offset cache, which is a form of a multi cache.

Cool, I wondered what the name was

I hope that isn't an existing tree in the park. The guidelines expressly prohibit damaging or altering trees or any property in order to place a cache.

Ack! what kind of heathen would kill a perfectly good park tree. No, these trees are from my own property. However the wonderfully invasive Black locust tree, is on our statewide seek and destroy list, so thats why I kill them on my own property. Besides, they grow back like weeds.

Oh and please don't use a film canister. They are not waterproof. And as Starbrand mentioned, read the guidelines. I mean really read them. Really.

I've read the guidelines multiple times. As for the waterproof issue. I am including a silica gel packet, to keep moisture in check. As well, the cache will be monitored weekly by myself and rest of my team. Since the cache is extremely close to my house and family members homes as well.

I live in Washington state, on the wet side, and let me tell you what I have learned the hard way... unless your container is water tight, with a gasket. It will leak and all the insides of the cache will turn into a science project. Did you ever do that experiment in science class when you put a little water into a ziploc bag with bread and you get orange and black mold. That will happen to your cache. Silca packets will not work, unless you want to do maintenance all the time, do you really want cachers to report on your cache page that the log is wet? Even if you replace it weekly, it will get damp, it doesn't have to be exposed to rain, just condensation. Ziploc bag on the outside of your logbook will not work. People don't take 15 minutes to make sure they are closed properly. You will probably ignore this warning. I did too.. Until I learned that containers without gaskets and properly fitting lids just don't work in this part of the country. Maybe you can get away with it in the desert.

In addition to the match containers and lock-n-locks.......soda preform tubes work really well and you can also get water proof beach containers (the kind you'd put some money and keys in) that are small and you can get them pretty cheap as well. Good luck on your hide!!! We're looking in to moving up there and if we do, we'll be sure to take the hike to see yours!

Soda preform tubes working really well must be a regional thing. They would not survive the winter, aka rainy season here. They look like a larger version of cryo tubes. I have never found a dry one. It reminds me of one time I was listening to pod cacher. He was saying that he found these great knock off lock and locks at a dollar store, that work just as well as the real ones. I laughed to myself thinking, maybe in California but in the rest of the world where there is rain and snow they wouldn't last a winter!

Soda preform tubes working really well must be a regional thing. They would not survive the winter, aka rainy season here. They look like a larger version of cryo tubes. I have never found a dry one. It reminds me of one time I was listening to pod cacher. He was saying that he found these great knock off lock and locks at a dollar store, that work just as well as the real ones. I laughed to myself thinking, maybe in California but in the rest of the world where there is rain and snow they wouldn't last a winter!

I must be thinking of the wrong thing but there's no doubt in my mind that the soda preform tubes that i've used are completely waterproof. Think about it, it's more than adequate to hold soda, even under pressure.

While condensation might be an issue, the container itself is very unlikely to leak. Well, unless it was damaged of course!

Hmmm.....strange you're having issues with them. I live in the high desert in NM in the mountains. We get TONS of snow.....I live at a popular ski area. Infact, we had our first snowfall a few weeks ago. All the ones we've found fare very well. Infact, we were planning on using some for our snowshoeing series this winter.

I've never seen a problem with them in my area.

The silica gel pack is to tide it over until i can get to walmart :D

Silica Gel will not work. If fact, it will act like a sponge, and start giving off water at night. It only works in sealed containers, and then must be changed frequently. Every time the container is opened, more moisture enters the container. Forget about silican gel.