SALE ALERT!

And I bought an Explorist 100 for $35 in August at a close out price.

Yup, I'd say the 500 at $150 is a close out price, too; making room for new models;

Roll Back Prices are a theme they use for about any reason :rolleyes: Instead of calling it a close out, they use Roll Back to make you think they're really being nice to you :o

That isnt their Christmas sale...that is in a few weeks. That means they are blowing out those GPS receivers to make way for the new lineup

Look around, many stores are already having "Christmas sales" this year....I mean it's not even Veterans Day (OK it will be in a couple of hours : :rolleyes: ) or Thanksgiving yet, sheesh :o

That isnt their Christmas sale...that is in a few weeks. That means they are blowing out those GPS receivers to make way for the new lineup

Look around, many stores are already having "Christmas sales" this year....I mean it's not even Veterans Day (OK it will be in a couple of hours : :blink: ) or Thanksgiving yet, sheesh :ph34r:

my local Walmart didn't even have any hand held GPS units :P I ended up buying an eXplorist 210 online as a starter with TOPO map and car accessories for $179 :blink:

Edited by KJcachers

Maybe they're all the units packed with the wrong USB cables and they are dumping them - No matter what I'd check it before I left the store! Because if you have to call CS or Tech Support you are in for an unpleasent surprise and major let down...

I'm getting several units for gifts to family members and I will not consider Magellan for anyone I like. I did find Garmin 60 CXS for 279.00 I think it's well worth it!

Don't get me wrong it's a great unit - I like it but....

I purchased the 500LE in August this year - I'm still waiting for the USB cable that will be here within 5 business days - 6 times they have told me that - I'm fed up and so are many others (see other threads).

This was a New Unit with Mapsend etc. Topo maps (yeah another joke/trick - doesn't work with normal CD/DVD reader - must be DVD RW + doesn't even load on VISTA using newer DVD rw) The good news is you can load it from the Magellan web site and it runs on My XP computers okay.

As far as loading and uploading - well someday I hope to find out when I get or make my own USB cable. :blink:

Thus I can't make full use out of it - I have to use a SD card reader/writer to utilize EasyGPS / GSAK (still haven't decided which one I like) I do think Mapsendlite Stinks at least so far / extremely hard to figure out...

We use a 400 with a sd card. I don't hassle with the cable since my laptop has a sd slot. My computer also has an sd slot. GSAK is configured to dump straight to it every time with the push of one button. No problems here at all.

The funniest part about the people I've seen that hate the 500 that own one is they won't cut lose of it for less than $150-$175. Must not hate it too much.

At the REI store in Santa Ana, CA today, I saw the 500LE for $129.83, and the 210 for $59.83. These look like clearance prices. In the USA, they have locations in 28 states.

I have had the 500 since it came out 2.5 years ago and it works perfectly.

If you get the LE, I recommend also getting the Li-ion battery and the swivel mount (craddle.)

How many times do I have to say it? DO NOT buy Magellan products!

You're driving me nuts! (I say that in a loving way.) You've posted several messages like this one but you won't say what the problem was! There are folks here who might actually be able to help you!

If I have to come up to Maine to look at your gps you had better have some hot chocolate ready! :ph34r:

Maybe they're all the units packed with the wrong USB cables and they are dumping them - No matter what I'd check it before I left the store! Because if you have to call CS or Tech Support you are in for an unpleasent surprise and major let down...

I'm getting several units for gifts to family members and I will not consider Magellan for anyone I like. I did find Garmin 60 CXS for 279.00 I think it's well worth it!

Don't get me wrong it's a great unit - I like it but....

I purchased the 500LE in August this year - I'm still waiting for the USB cable that will be here within 5 business days - 6 times they have told me that - I'm fed up and so are many others (see other threads).

This was a New Unit with Mapsend etc. Topo maps (yeah another joke/trick - doesn't work with normal CD/DVD reader - must be DVD RW + doesn't even load on VISTA using newer DVD rw) The good news is you can load it from the Magellan web site and it runs on My XP computers okay.

As far as loading and uploading - well someday I hope to find out when I get or make my own USB cable. :ph34r:

Thus I can't make full use out of it - I have to use a SD card reader/writer to utilize EasyGPS / GSAK (still haven't decided which one I like) I do think Mapsendlite Stinks at least so far / extremely hard to figure out...

wait... is this a cut and paste from another thread? You never responded to my question about trying one of the several sources I found for a 500 usb cable. If I just bring you one, will you stop it?

While my local Wal-Mart doesn't have this sale, I have noticed over the last couple months that they have been clearing out the old Magellan units. First the 100s were sold and not restocked, then the 200s. They have one 210 left, but nothing has been restocked.

When I asked the staff, they didn't (or wouldn't) answer why (what a surprise, ha! ha! ha!).

Personally, I wouldn't buy the 500 unit as it uses AAA batteries and has poor battery performance.

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would hi-jack this one... :laughing:

I am looking at buying a new Explorist 400 on ebay for about 80 bucks plus 10 bucks for an extended warranty through SquareTrade. Apparently there is no Magellan warranty because they are surplus.

I am a newbie geocacher and don't want to break the bank on a gps.

Is this a good price? Any problems with the 400?

Yeah, that is a good price.

I've been using a 400 for a year now and love it. If you're running Windows XP, you're fine. If you have Vista, you'll have to download a new driver. The geocache manager program still doesn't work yet with Vista, but there are workarounds for that.

As far as the unit itself, it is a great rugged little unit. Mine has been gravity tested several times, and I'm not the most gentle person with my gps.

Back to software, like all brands, the unit only comes with a limited basemap. So plan on spending more for a Topo or Street map program. But that's the same no matter what gps you buy.

After spending 30 years in the outdoor industry, including being a buyer for a GPS dealer, the one request I heard over and over was for

USGS quality topo maps

As far as the number of accessories stocked by Sportsman’s Warehouse, You have to look at the reason they have so many accessories. Garmin has a larger selection of GPS models in their line up. (To many in my opinion as well as the in the opinion of some to the Garmin reps I have worked with over the years) For each series in the Garmin line there is a separated group of accessories that the dealer needs to keep in inventory in order to support each model. From the perspective of a retail buyer, tying up a large amount of money on accessories that you may or may not sell is a huge waste of resources.

As far as the price of the National Geographic maps, well that is not a Magellan issue.

I can see Garmin offering the same capability in the future. There is a segment of the GPS market that wants a 7.5 minute topo map in a hand held GPS. I would agree that a

Topo map on a small screen leaves much to be desired, a large number of customers will shell out the money for those maps.

If youre lucky you can find the National Geographics Backroads Explorer 17 CD's for the whole USA for $5, well I was that lucky at a ham radio flee market.

But even those Topo's leave a bit to be desired. So I then found the 20K scale ones for New Hampshire and Massachusetts at the MIT flee market for a couple bucks. These seemlessly integrate with those others and are exactly what you see on a topo map, while the NGBE are at 50 of 100K scale, about what you see on an aeronautical chart without the good bits that those bring to the picture.

My local walmart has the magellan explorist 210 for $119.96 and the magellan explorist 500LE for $149. Which would be the better choice for the dollar? Color vs. BW, SD card vs. 22 mb, AA vs. AAA. Does the 500LE offer any other advantages than color screen and sd?

For this little difference in price, the 500 is a much better choice. You will like the color screen. The storage of the SD card will allow much larger areas of maps. You can get a Li-Ion battery for the 500 and charge it like your cell phone and PDA.

The file system with the SD card allows copying files from internal memory to SD and SD to internal mem. One time at an Event Cache, before going out caching with someone else (who also had the 500) I took my SD card (with the geocache file with local caches), put the SD card in the other 500 and copied the geocache file to that unit's internal memory. The cacher was then able to use the geocache file.