"Lock on Road" feature

Hi, I have the Garmin etrex Vista HCx and I read in some other forums that the "lock on road" feature in the map settings can significantly change the accuracy of the compass while hunting for a cache. I read that it can throw off the "pointer"?

What does this setting do even?? Should I leave it on while I am using city navigator and using turn by turn directions? Should I turn it on while using it for driving directions and on while caching??

Any help would be great!!

Thanks

Lock on road has nothing to do with the compass. As you know the GPS has a small margin of error, so it might show you fractionally off the road that you are on. Lock on road just makes your position pointer 'snap' to the nearest road.

You can leave it on all the time. Some people suggest that it may be the cause of erratic cache finding behaviour but that would only be the case if a cache was very close to a road which is not generally the case.

I have done some tests with my VistaHCx to see how it would track me walking near a road with 'lock on road' on. It didn't seem to make much difference.

I turned mine off because it was screwing me up, which was also happening to my neighbor as well. When I had it turned on, the map would not re-draw as I got close to the cache. I was having to turn the unit off and then back on to get the map to zoom in correctly. I personally recommend turning it off.

On my MAP76S with Metroguide running, I found the difference significant, and I always turned it off.

On my new Vista HCx, I haven't been able to install Metroguide yet (I got the GPS, but not yet the chip), and on the base map there aren't many roads I can snap to, so I don't know.

I was wondering if snapping on is a requirement for turn-by-turn autorouting. Is it?

On my new Vista HCx, I haven't been able to install Metroguide yet (I got the GPS, but not yet the chip)

If you have a computer get the disk not the chip

I have the disk - I meant I hadn't received the empty chip yet, on which I could install Metroguide.

By now I got it, and have...

Thanks!