I need topo information.

phern47

I want to buy a gps with mapping however I'm confused as to what to buy. So far, I have decided to buy a used Garmin Vista. I want to be able to work with detailed topo maps (Quebec) on my gps. What confuses me is the fact that the GPS comes with a basemap of N.America. Is this basemap good enough to be used alone? If I buy a Garmin, do I have to buy a program called "Mapcreate" to be able to add a couple of topo maps of the area around my home where I do all of my hunting and fishing or is there a way of be able to use detailed maps without buying "Mapcreate" for 180 dollars?

Edited by phern47

Just a follow up to my PM. The basemap it comes with has all the major roads, major lakes, rivers etc. It doesn't come with any topo information though (that I'm aware of). To get Topo data, you either need TopoCanada (~$140), or you can download my topo maps (I've got pretty good Quebec coverage), but it will be a little awkward without some kind of mapsource product (even trip and waypoint manager will do just fine ($35)), but its doable.

I want to buy a gps with mapping however I'm confused as to what to buy. So far, I have decided to buy a used Garmin Vista. I want to be able to work with detailed topo maps (Quebec) on my gps. What confuses me is the fact that the GPS comes with a basemap of N.America. Is this basemap good enough to be used alone? If I buy a Garmin, do I have to buy a program called "Mapcreate" to be able to add a couple of topo maps of the area around my home where I do all of my hunting and fishing or is there a way of be able to use detailed maps without buying "Mapcreate" for 180 dollars?

The free maps ibycus is making available will do just fine.

You'll want to get Trip and Waypoint Manager.

How much is the used Vista your looking to buy?

And Mapcreate is for Lowrance, Mapsource is for Garmin.

From what I have seen so far, a used or refurbished Vista sells for a bit more than 100 dollars plus shipping on Ebay.

The price for Trip and Waypoint Manager is quite reasonable so that's no problem.

I'm sure that ibycus wouldn't mind a donation for his trouble.

I have a few paper maps (20,000 : 1) of the areas that I play around in. Lots of places I go to do not even have trails. So far, I have been using a mapless GPS, compass and the paper maps but it sure would feel more comfortable to be able to see where I am right on my GPS screen when I am surrounded by trees and can't see more than 100 feet in any direction. My old Lowrance GlobalNav 200 did not lose contact very often. In any event, I don't have the budget for an H series GPS. Maybe in a couple of years.

I don't have topo maps on my GPS (an old garmin legend), because I think they are not all that clear in monochrome. I do plan to buy some once I finally get a color GPS and I found that company that makes great looking topo maps for Quebec, you might want to take a look:

GPS Quebec

Their maps are not based on the federal maps but on the more detailed provincial maps. Rather expensive, but I'm hoping the price may go down by the time I finally need those maps :D

I don't have topo maps on my GPS (an old garmin legend), because I think they are not all that clear in monochrome. I do plan to buy some once I finally get a color GPS and I found that company that makes great looking topo maps for Quebec, you might want to take a look:

GPS Quebec

Their maps are not based on the federal maps but on the more detailed provincial maps. Rather expensive, but I'm hoping the price may go down by the time I finally need those maps :(

These are very goods maps. i have the 21m tile. but for the whole province its $400.00 with taxes. and they come with an unlock code for ONE gps only.

I just can't imagine wanting to change my gps unit for a newer model and having to buy a second unlock code

for another $400.00.

I live in the Saguenay region of Quebec. Some local guys made highly detailed topo maps of my region and on top of that, all of the roads built by the lumber companies are included. All of the roads....even the old ones no longer used. The CD sells for 75 dollars. So instead of paying 150 dollars for my region, I may opt to buy the maps sold here in the region if the Mapsource topo maps are not to my liking.

I live in the Saguenay region of Quebec. Some local guys made highly detailed topo maps of my region and on top of that, all of the roads built by the lumber companies are included. All of the roads....even the old ones no longer used. The CD sells for 75 dollars. So instead of paying 150 dollars for my region, I may opt to buy the maps sold here in the region if the Mapsource topo maps are not to my liking.

To you have the link to where i can see or buy these maps?

[quote name='richsnake' date='Nov 19 2007, 05:54 PM' post=

To you have the link to where i can see or buy these maps?

Sorry....no link. However I saw them at "Chicoutimi Chasse et Pêche" blvd Talbot, Chicoutimi. This boutique has a web site.

I really hate going to this place. The only reason I go there is to justify the reason I go elsewhere...lol. As soon as you get through the door, the salespeople are forced by their boss to greet you with their famous "do you need help" phrase. The owner of the store's first impression of everyone who comes into the store is that they do not know anything about hunting, fishing, gpsing etc.

The other day, I went there to look at the GPS units and the prices they were selling for. The main reason I was there was to see what the base N.America map looks like on the mapping units. I asked the owner to see one of the gps units so that I could look at the N.America base map. After the owner splurted out all what a GPS does while he fiddled with a bunch of buttons, he reluctantly let me hold the unit. He actually whinced when I dared touch the toggle switch. I mentioned that from what I could see on the screen was some nowhere place in the U.S. I asked if I could see what the province of Quebec looked like. He told me that he had never gone outside with his demo gps units and that he would have to go outside, let the units find their home in Quebec and from then on have the starting screen somewhere close to Chicoutimi. He also told me that he had topo maps of Canada....but I could already see the CDs stacked in the corner of the display case. After some careful investigation, I saw that there were CDs of all the roads and trails in my area so I said "very interesting" then "how much?".

Anyway, this boutique is the only official Garmin dealer in our area. He is a complete jerk. He has the only hunting and fishing boutique in town so I doubt he will go broke.

I know for one thing, if I owned such a store, my GPS demo units will have been taken outdoors to initialize them, they would have detailed topo maps installed etc etc. And, I wouldn't treat people as if they ignorants.

BTW, he sells his GPS units for twice the amount I can get them from the U.S.....shipping included.

In my e-mail today, I got news that there are CDs of all the "quad" trails in Ontario and Quebec for Garmin GPS units and that there will be some for Lowrance units soon.

Hi Phern,

Don't worry, if that weird store isn't on the way to Le Parc des Monts-Valins, there's little chance that i'll drop in.

I already have all the quads trails of Quebec, a friend gave me all the tracks and i made a transparent map for my gps out of them. The only problem is that i have never owned a quad and don't really plan too. I just did it for fun.

What i'm interested in is having a map of the most "chemin de terres"there is so i can explore them when i travel the region. I know pretty much le Parc des Laurentides but not much of the Sag,"Chicoutimi region. If ever you find out what the cd is called, let me know so i can get my own copy somewhere in Quebec city.

Thanks Phern