Vista HCx Accuracy

Hi, I just bought a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx recently and have been caching with a few people with some older magellan b&w units without any kind of high sensitivity receiver or WAAS yet when we go my WAAS is on and when we are at the cache theres will say 6 or 8 feet away and mine will say 15-20 feet at least from the cache. Even when it says my GPS accuracy is 10 feet!

Any hints?

Hi, I just bought a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx recently and have been caching with a few people with some older magellan b&w units without any kind of high sensitivity receiver or WAAS yet when we go my WAAS is on and when we are at the cache theres will say 6 or 8 feet away and mine will say 15-20 feet at least from the cache. Even when it says my GPS accuracy is 10 feet!

Any hints?

How do you know that your GPSr is not the correct one?

Or, maybe the hider of the cache used a Magellan.

There is inherent inaccuracy in both your GPSr and the GPSr of the person who wrote the coordinates.

I agree with that completely.......that's the difficult thing about geocaching there are no set standards, someone could place the catch with a meridian platinum series GPS, and someone with a rhino 530hcx could be doing the cache and find it not to be accurate at all

plus many other variables like someone thinking they are being cute and moving the cache to another place, which wouldn't explain completely why the other GPS's were more accurate......but it gives me a positive reinforcement feeling on why I spend the money I do on GPS's