Define Maintaining of my Cache

rick54

My wife and I are very new (4 finds) to this sport and enjoy it very much. We'd like to return the fun we've been having by putting out our first cache. Since she works at a bar, we were thinking about a small gift certificate, or lottery tickets, etc. which would go to the FTF. Are we obligated to replacing the same items thereafter? I could always duplicate those items from time to time, but I'd hate to think I'm going to have to do it every week. Especially if you FTF folks are way too good or I'm way too poor at hiding a cache! I could go broke!

So is maintaining one's cache limited to the condition of the container or the quality contents or both?

It's entirely up to you. Typically, one (if any) FTF prize is left in the cache for the first finder. As for routine maintenance I simply watch the logs and see whats going into / out of the container. You can also get a good feel as to how your container is holding up. An occasional maintenance visit helps keep things neat and in order. Welcome!

Typically, a FTF prize is just that: A prize for the first person to find the cache. If you put something in the cache for a FTF prize, once it is gone it is gone. You don't have to replace it. A FTF prize, by the way is completely optional.

As far as other swag goes, that really depends on how you want your cache to be. Ideally people will trade up or trade even and you'll never have to add more stuff to the cache. In all likelihood, you'll occasionally want to go add some stuff & take out junk every once in a while. How often "once in a while" is will completely depend on how often it is visited, where the cache is, and a number of other factors. Keep in mind that many cachers don't actually trade items anyways.

Basically, to answer you question: Yes, you are responsible for both, but most importantly for the condition of the container, IMO. Swag will mostly take care of itself, but if it gets really bad, trade it out.

My wife and I are very new (4 finds) to this sport and enjoy it very much. We'd like to return the fun we've been having by putting out our first cache. Since she works at a bar, we were thinking about a small gift certificate, or lottery tickets, etc. which would go to the FTF. Are we obligated to replacing the same items thereafter? I could always duplicate those items from time to time, but I'd hate to think I'm going to have to do it every week. Especially if you FTF folks are way too good or I'm way too poor at hiding a cache! I could go broke!

So is maintaining one's cache limited to the condition of the container or the quality contents or both?

Just make sure there is a dry logbook with room to sign in at the bare minimum. The container should be watertight also. Other than removing anything that may be inappropriate, you dont need to maintain the trade items, but it would be nice.

Cache maintenance is all about responding timely to problems or potential problems. While it is nice to restock your cache. You are under no obligation to do so. An you certainly are not expected to restock it with the same items.

A FTF prize is a one time prize for the first cacher to get there.

Cache maintenance is all about responding timely to problems or potential problems. While it is nice to restock your cache. You are under no obligation to do so. An you certainly are not expected to restock it with the same items.

I wouldent mind going back each week and finding a lottery tickit in there... :D

~.~Scare Force One

The responding timely aspect should include disabling your cache if there's a reasonable chance that something is wrong, such as having been muggled. Reasonable chance is something you'll have to figure out for yourself as you go along. I wouldn't be concerned about one or two DNFs by newbie cachers, but more than one DNF by experienced cachers would get me to disable one of mine until I took a look myself. Of course a note from a previous finder saying it's not there would probably do it too! :D

Maintaining your cache.

Drying it out.

Replacing broken containers.

Replacing full log books.

When needed as time and real life permit.

That kind of stuff.

Keeping the swag of a high quality is above and beyond the call of duty. I use the Darwin approach and let natural selection take it's course.

Emphasis mine.

Go ahead and place your cache and don't worry about it. This is a GAME. When maintenance needs to be done, get to it as quickly as your busy schedule allows and don't sweat it if your cache has to sit out there in a "less than optimal" state for a few weeks. Take care of IMPORTANT lifey kinda things and when you get free time, go fix the cache.

Swag is TOTALLY your option. If you wish, you can keep the cache stocked with real hundred dollar bills. But most people rarely do more than just check occasionally for inappropriate items in the cache and perhaps add a few (new) worthless trinkets from time to time.

Many (perhaps MOST) caches nowadays have no swag at all anyway. TOTALLY optional.

That is your choice. Unfortunately the contents do degrade over time so I like to re-stock my caches when I visit. It's not a requirement though. As long as you keep a dry logbook with blank pages I think 90 percent of geocachers will be thrilled.

Start with a quality container. It will more than pay for itself in lack of needed maintenance. Ammo cans and lock and locks have stood the test of time.

"Log is wet" is likely the commonest reason to need to do cache maintenance.

You won't be getting that if you start with a good sealing container that most people know how to open and close.

Start with a quality container. It will more than pay for itself in lack of needed maintenance. Ammo cans and lock and locks have stood the test of time.

"Log is wet" is likely the commonest reason to need to do cache maintenance.

You won't be getting that if you start with a good sealing container that most people know how to open and close.

I agree, and would also add, place everything in freezer ziplocs (they're thicker and will last longer). Ziplocs will help keep everything dry and also clean. A lot of people will gently dump the contents on the ground incase there is something sharp inside. Your swag can get dirty this way, so ziplocs will keep them nice and clean.

We go periodically and replenish with nice swag. It doesn't have to be ridiculous. Keep your eyes open when you're out running errands. You'll find great stuff on sale at times. We found really nice wood toy kits at Michaels for $1 on sale. They came complete with all the parts to build it and paint it. You just have to be on "swag patrol" so to speak. Walmart puts stuff on sale all the time, and you can find some neat things at a good dollar store. Don't forget your sporting goods store, or other outdoor stores like Cabelas and Bass Pro. Really look at items that are on sale just out of season. And check out Ebay. You can find good items, for a decent price.....look especially in the lots. Another good item is to place new cache containers for swag. The pop preform tubes are popular. There's also waterproof match tubes, and you can get a good deal on those waterproof beach containers at Oriental Trading Company. Good luck!