Arizona Cachers?

andakin

Hi, I'm a NY cacher heading to Phoenix/Scottsdale in a few days. What are some interesting caches on a nice trail near Scottsdale? I will probably only have about half a day to cache and will have non-cacher friends with me, so I'm sure they'll be more interested in a nice view. I'm hoping that after they see what geocaching is about, they will get hooked. Thanks!

Hi, I'm a NY cacher heading to Phoenix/Scottsdale in a few days. What are some interesting caches on a nice trail near Scottsdale? I will probably only have about half a day to cache and will have non-cacher friends with me, so I'm sure they'll be more interested in a nice view. I'm hoping that after they see what geocaching is about, they will get hooked. Thanks!

I did 7 caches in about 4 hours along a hiking trail in the Phoenix Mountains. Park at or near these coords:

N 33° 34.306

W 112° 00.252

Then do these 7 caches in succesion and they will take you inside the Phoenix Mountains. The 6th of 7 will take you high up on the peak of a mountain so it will give you great views of the valley.

GCN7NQ

GCHPJT

GC10RJ1

GCHQWT

GCHEC9

GC14BP8

GC14WFF

i am in phoenix, new to geocaching found my first yesterday,

outofdoors

Welcome to the group, and welcome to geocaching. :P

Tim

I am in the sw phx area. AZgeocaching.com is pretty lame. no recent updated material that i found.

That website is well old. People only use it for the listserv. A while ago there was some talk of someone updating it, but it don't look like it's gunna happen. :)

Hello everyone. I am a Nub to geocaching in Arizona. I live in Tucson. I was wondering if there was anyone who might be able to give me some pointers. I think I have all the basics, such as a Garmin 76 and a new PDA, but could use some help with how to go about finding caches. Hope to see you around. :unsure:

Hi Lieyna,

For some reason, unlike those in some other areas, not many people in AZ seem to read this forum. You might try signing on to the listserv at azgeocaching.com (scroll back in this thread for some details) and then posting a note on it. Events are also a good way to meet cachers but I don't see any on the horizon right now down in Tucson. Keep your eyes out for one on the Newest in Arizona link on your main page.

Whatever you do, it's a great time to get out there in the desert and find some caches, with all the rain we've it looks to be an outstanding wildflower season!

I'll be heading out to Arizona for some caching (I'm from NYS) I'll be near Bisby and then Tombstone, any easy close caches in those areas?

Its actually Bisbee ;) And there are many in Tucson, and Benson. I have not looked at what is in Bisbee or Tombstone, but I am sure there are some.

Hello everyone. I am a Nub to geocaching in Arizona. I live in Tucson. I was wondering if there was anyone who might be able to give me some pointers. I think I have all the basics, such as a Garmin 76 and a new PDA, but could use some help with how to go about finding caches. Hope to see you around. :o

There's a couple of Flash Mob events coming up. One on pi day. (3/14@1:59) And one may 8th. (I think)

Can watch for CITO events too.

As for how to find caches.. it's really quite easy. You get the information. And you go to the location.. and you poke around until you find it, or you feel like pounding your head in to the nearest saguaro in frustration.

Start off with low difficulty (any terrain level you like, as long as you can handle it), regular or small caches are the best bets, because sometime micros are a bitch.

AZ Cachers,

I was out caching near the Salt River in the Tonto National Forest and saw my first rattlesnake of the season today. Just a heads up, it's about that time of year.

Thanks for the notice. That is my biggest fear about geocaching. I dread any encounters with snakes or large spiders.

Hello everyone. I am a Nub to geocaching in Arizona. I live in Tucson. I was wondering if there was anyone who might be able to give me some pointers. I think I have all the basics, such as a Garmin 76 and a new PDA, but could use some help with how to go about finding caches. Hope to see you around. :o

Hope you are enjoying your new hobby so far. This is my first venture into the forums and happened upon your post asking for help. How have you done so far? If you have any questions just let us know and we'll have you chasing down caches all over.

AZ Cachers,

I was out caching near the Salt River in the Tonto National Forest and saw my first rattlesnake of the season today. Just a heads up, it's about that time of year.

I just experienced my first rattlesnake encounter in the same area at: GC17THX

Where did you see yours?

Here's a couple pics of the one I saw.

2hnq6vo.jpg

2qcm1ab.jpg

I guess its just a matter of time until I start seeing them while out in Tucson. Speaking of wildlife though, I'm in Florida right now and while out on a caching while biking run I saw a garter snake, a wild turkey, a deer and a tortoise. Couple that with the Bald eagle while grabbing a cache the other day and this trip has been a great one for caching!

Edited by Jhendu

AZ Cachers,

I just experienced my first rattlesnake encounter in the same area at: GC17THX

Where did you see yours?

The one that caused me a DNF was at Trail's End. I've seen several others since, including a couple in the camp at the AJACS event last weekend.

I (Vinny) will be in AZ for the next 10 days, starting tomorrow, on a research field trip, and will be hunting for a few caches during my time in the area (using Tempe as my home base.) And, for a heads-up: I will try to leave Psycho Urban Cache refrigerator magnets as swag items in at least a few of my finds; I will make a note in my online log finds when I do so.

I (Vinny) will be in AZ for the next 10 days, starting tomorrow, on a research field trip, and will be hunting for a few caches during my time in the area (using Tempe as my home base.) And, for a heads-up: I will try to leave Psycho Urban Cache refrigerator magnets as swag items in at least a few of my finds; I will make a note in my online log finds when I do so.

Just a quick update... I left imprinted Psycho Urban Cache refrigerator magnets in two AZ caches along the Tempe/Scottsdale border yesterday. I left three of the magnets under a rock near Bighorn Rock cache (GCZQPM), and I left four of the magnets in the Papago Trails 2 cache (GC10253) cache container. I have set aside very little time for geocaching during my field trip to this area, but if I find any more local caches here in the PHX area or the Tucson area during my travels, I will be sure to try to leave a few more of the PUC magnets!

And, a thank you to the locals who wrote to me to tell me about the local events being held this weekend!

Well I'm from Tucson just got into this yesterday. Already found 4 urban caches, next its up to Mt Lemon. I'm eager to see some events and what it all holds soon. B)

That's great man. I have found four also. I want to go to Mt. Lemon soon, but my wife and I are planning a trip on the weekend of the 9th to Madera Canyon. Bunch of caches there and lots of hikes. Can't wait. It's been awhile since we have gone camping/hiking because of out young son (9 mo. tomorrow).

Well I'm from Tucson just got into this yesterday. Already found 4 urban caches, next its up to Mt Lemon. I'm eager to see some events and what it all holds soon. :mad:

That's great man. I have found four also. I want to go to Mt. Lemon soon, but my wife and I are planning a trip on the weekend of the 9th to Madera Canyon. Bunch of caches there and lots of hikes. Can't wait. It's been awhile since we have gone camping/hiking because of out young son (9 mo. tomorrow).

Sounds like fun, I've been busy recently so I don't have much time. However once summer rolls around I'm going to be all over that mountain :) My goal is to get every one of them :P

Sounds like fun, I've been busy recently so I don't have much time. However once summer rolls around I'm going to be all over that mountain :) My goal is to get every one of them :mad:

Then we have the same goal. :P Right now, I am trying to get my trial premium membership going. I want to try out those pocket queries and such and see how it all can go together with my GSPr and Palm (I am trying to do paperless now).

I'm new here, stopped geocaching for about 2 years and trying to get back into it. Sometime in the next week I'm gonna use my n810 to geocache for the first time and i'm hoping the gps in it is actuate enough. I'm in the chandler area.