Red Remembrance Poppy Geocoin

oakcoins

During World War I, Red Flanders poppies carpeted the battle fields. The little red flowers sprang up in bomb craters, around trenches and often marked soldiers' graves. Today the red poppy remains a symbol of war and its heroes. Many remember their lost friends and family members by wearing a paper red poppy pinned to their lapel on November 11th, Veterans Day.

Oakcoins will be donating $1.00/coin to the Fisher House Foundation.

There are 2 different versions, the Gold Poppy and Silver LE. Some are bundled together with a Red Poppy pin.

Size: 1", 2.5mm thick

Trackable at geocaching.com and has its own icon.

Red Remembrance Poppy Geocoin

geocoin_poppy_gold.jpg

Definitely getting some of these! We always buy the Buddy Poppies when we see them.

In Flander's Field

by John McCrae

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow,

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky,

The larks, still bravely singing, fly,

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead.

Short days ago,

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved and now we lie,

In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe

To you, from failing hands, we throw,

The torch, be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us, who die,

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow,

In Flanders Fields.

From their website:

http://www.fisherhouse.org/

The Fisher House™ program is a unique private-public partnership that supports America's military in their time of need. The program recognizes the special sacrifices of our men and women in uniform and the hardships of military service by meeting a humanitarian need beyond that normally provided by the Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs.

http://www.fisherhouse.org/aboutUs/video.shtml

We picked Fisher House as they are a responsible charity. They have a very low expense ratio and 95+% of the money donated goes to programs to help American Veteran.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?...&orgid=7585

Thanks

Oakcoins

From their website:

http://www.fisherhouse.org/

The Fisher House™ program is a unique private-public partnership that supports America's military in their time of need. The program recognizes the special sacrifices of our men and women in uniform and the hardships of military service by meeting a humanitarian need beyond that normally provided by the Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs.

http://www.fisherhouse.org/aboutUs/video.shtml

We picked Fisher House as they are a responsible charity. They have a very low expense ratio and 95+% of the money donated goes to programs to help American Veteran.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?...&orgid=7585

Thanks

Oakcoins

So no link to the The Poppy Appeal then!

Is there any way I can get an invoice sent to me for one of these because to order from them you have to have a credit card or debit card attached to your paypal acct. and I don't have one? I only use paypal and cash, it keeps me out of trouble, LOL. Well, almost :D

EDIT: I would much rather trade if possible. Right now the the only thing I could trade is our Nochipra wooden nickels and a Geowoodstock 07 coin if anyone is interested? I would trade two wooden nickels and our signature card or the Geowoodstock 07 coin and a wooden nickel if you would like to trade for the poppy coin with a pin.

Edited by Nochipra

I got up at 430 this morning to get ready for work and saw this one, just had to order one...then saw the LE was the silver and placed another order for it seperately. Glad I did...My pin is going to be given to a very diserving vet who I concider my hero (an I do not have a lot of them) My Father in Law. He is 93 years old and a non cacher who is in not so good of health, but I want him to know I remember what he did and what his committment means to me.

I got up at 430 this morning to get ready for work and saw this one, just had to order one...then saw the LE was the silver and placed another order for it seperately. Glad I did...My pin is going to be given to a very diserving vet who I concider my hero (an I do not have a lot of them) My Father in Law. He is 93 years old and a non cacher who is in not so good of health, but I want him to know I remember what he did and what his committment means to me.

Nice story! All of my grandparents or great uncles served in WWI or WWII :D

As these have sold out, we have been asked to get more in. Since the Silver Version was the LE, we will not be ordering any more of that version. We will re-order the gold version.

We will continue to donate to Fisher House on the coins.

Thanks for your support.

Oh my gosh, I missed this thread entirely ... what a beautiful coin.

Thanks for making more!

As these have sold out, we have been asked to get more in. Since the Silver Version was the LE, we will not be ordering any more of that version. We will re-order the gold version.

Thanks for your support.

Thanks for making more!

Yes, thank you for making more. I couldn't decide how many to order, then missed out completely! :huh:

Will you be making more pins, too? I'd love to be able to order additional pins.

Thanks for your support.

Thanks for making more!

Yes, thank you for making more. I couldn't decide how many to order, then missed out completely! :huh:

Will you be making more pins, too? I'd love to be able to order additional pins.

<waves paw frantically>

ME, TOO!!!!

I did purchase the silver LE with the pin, tho'. Good choice, ifn's ya ask me.

I got my poppy pins and coins today. They are beautiful! I bought them in remembrance of of all veterans and because they were simply beautiful! The red is magnificent.

I would love to give one to my Dad, but ya know, he wouldn't appreciate its beauty. He is 84 and doing well for his age and honestly the only person I know that truly wants no material items. He enjoys a very plain and simple life. He is a veteran of WWII and was captured by the Japanese when they invaded the Philippine Islands. He was also in the Korean War, and Vietnam War!

So thank you, Oakcoins for commemorating veterans everywhere!

Thanks for your support.

I have tried repeatedly to order these, I never received an email saying they were available again and I just tried to order and they still say sold out. Thought they were making more, anyone know if they willopen orders again? Nothing is mentioned on their web page, just went through the whole order process and then it won't finish becasue they are not avail. argh!!! :D

Thanks for your support.

I have tried repeatedly to order these, I never received an email saying they were available again and I just tried to order and they still say sold out. Thought they were making more, anyone know if they willopen orders again? Nothing is mentioned on their web page, just went through the whole order process and then it won't finish becasue they are not avail. argh!!! :D

They're supposed to be in the shop again on November 21st. :D

Thanks for your support.

I have tried repeatedly to order these, I never received an email saying they were available again and I just tried to order and they still say sold out.

They're supposed to be in the shop again on November 21st. :D

thanks for the info, I will be traveling that day so may have to stop and wifi an order :D

Edited by Frozen Buns

I just checked too. Ill be waiting till the 21st as well! :D

I went to the WWII memorial in KansasCity this past July and couldnt believe all the red poppys they had as a display for memorial...So many Red Poppys you would have been there for a week counting them under the glass floor they were under!!!

Sad thing was that each Poppy represented 10,000 lives lost if I remember correctly! I grabbed a few extra "Buddy Poppys" while there and placed em into caches while out and about.

What was really crazy about that day, was a distraught man jumped to his death just above us from the Liberty memorial which stands on top of the WWII Museum, just before we were headed up it!!!...It was his favorite place to be. :D

We're sorry we missed the first run, these look fabulous. We'll get one on the next run for sure.

Will the pins be available separately or in 5's or 10's? I can think of a few people I'd like to give one to.

I absolutely agree, showed this pin around the legion yesterday and if possible I know I could give away a dozen or more of these pins alone to members who thought this was such a nice pin.

Let me know if the pin will come available as a stand alone item, I want more of these.

As above I am waiting on this reminting and information.

Even though I have to buy the coins all I really want is pins. Can't afford the coins and pins combined as quoted via PM.

So I am asking in here if anyone wants to trade, sell me the pin/s...need about 6 pins for vets here in the almost, no I mean the Great White North.

Edited by slippery_1

Although it does not meet the protocals for wearing a poppy on my uniform, this is one pin I will proudly wear on my honor guard uniform. And when my hero passes on I will proudly take this pin and place it on his lapel so he can wear it in his journies wherever they may take him knowing he will be in peace means even more to me.

I cannot even begin to thank the makers of this and express my gratitude for allowing me to give something to someone who means so much to our family.