"Spot" for extreme geocachers or anyone solo

I just ran across this and I'm thinking of getting one for my daughter. This is a radio transmitter used in satelite communication that has 4 specific functions. It will indicate your progress on Google earth much like the tracks on your GPSr, it will send an emergency request to emergency services, it will send an assistance request to others like family, and it will provide updates through a check-in feature to asure others that you are ok. Check it out at:

SPOT

So if you are an extreme geocacher, or you loke to go places solo that may possible put you in harms way this seems like it provides an extra margin of safety.

I just ran across this and I'm thinking of getting one for my daughter. This is a radio transmitter used in satelite communication that has 4 specific functions. It will indicate your progress on Google earth much like the tracks on your GPSr, it will send an emergency request to emergency services, it will send an assistance request to others like family, and it will provide updates through a check-in feature to asure others that you are ok. Check it out at:

SPOT

So if you are an extreme geocacher, or you loke to go places solo that may possible put you in harms way this seems like it provides an extra margin of safety.

That is an awesome gadget! Since I do alot of stuff on my own, that would be perfect for me! And, it's actually affordable!!

Mrs. beezerb here.

So I could phone home and ask "where am I"?

Well, I would carry this, AND a GPSr... so I would always know where I am, but the SPOT unit phones home and tells my family where I am... OR emergency services where I am...

If you go to the SPOT website and check out the coverage map, its purpose becomes clear... You can check in with family or call emergency services from just about ANYWHERE - even way off shore... Regardless of whether your cellphone works or not.

Pretty sweet, and its actually affordable! :-)

I don't think so. If I read it correctly, you have to push the "Check In" or "911" buttons to send the signal out.

Opens up a whole new cache type. You have to carry thins thing and send check ins to your partner at home. They tell you how close you are to the cache and you repeat until you're close enough to start searching.

I don't think so. If I read it correctly, you have to push the "Check In" or "911" buttons to send the signal out.

Opens up a whole new cache type. You have to carry thins thing and send check ins to your partner at home. They tell you how close you are to the cache and you repeat until you're close enough to start searching.

Could be used for logging a found cache :D

This looks like an extremely valuable thing. I am seriously considering it as I am frequently out alone with no one knowing where I am or even where i intended to go. (obviously there are other methods of dealing with these issues).

Since I recently started taking medication for diabetes and have already had a couple of minor incidences of "going low," something like this for such a reasonable price seems quite appealing.

I have several reservations though after reading the review above.

Basically, the reliability of the device is questionable for several reasons:

1. will not TX without a GPS fix- so you are in distress, and because it cannot give an EXACT location, it simply does not report that you need help at all. In many cases, SOMEONE knows at least where to START looking for you if they know you need help.

2. if it does not have a GPS fix, it cannot be located by other means (irrelevant due to #1)

3. May not work under adverse conditions- tree cover, heavy clouds- I suppose inside a vehicle or inside a cabin is out of the question then

4. corporate policy to not forward distress messages without a paid subscription- OK what if the subscription database messes up? You hit 9-1-1 and nothing happens because they IGNORED your distress signal you stinking deadbeat. Sounds like a lawyer is going to get a new tax bracket after that happens the first time.

On the plus side. I do like the idea of being able to "leave breadcrumbs" and check in periodically with the push of a button- provided it works.

An ordinary PLB seems to be a much better choice overall but the extreme level of response generated by these units because they relay no information except that someone has activated a device is way overkill for most distress situations and must be reserved for ONLY life threatening rescue needs. I don't think an ordinary PLB would be much worthwhile in my personal situation.

Here's a more detailed review from over at Doug Ritter's "Equipped To Survive".

http://www.equipped.com/SPOT_ORSummer2007.htm

It's a great site for equipment and techniques to save your own skin.

DCC

Excellent review and I'd suggest a "must read" for anyone considering SPOT. It certainly lays out some aditional considerations and some operational policies that one should take into consideration before purcasing the unit and understand the program and if it poses limitations for you.

I read about it and have a question.

Say I'm carring one. I fall and I'm knocked out. Does it have an auto actvation feature? If so, I'll order one today! Cool device with lots of potential.

From what I see, no. But, also keep in mind, if you are consistently checking in as you go along, even if you fell and couldn't push the button, your family will notice when you haven't checked in and they would have a better idea of an area to search than with no beacon at all.

It's not the price of the unit, it's always the additional fees:

One of the most important things you need to know is that these are all subscription based services. Current price is $99 per year for standard service and an extra $49 per year for the SPOTcasting tracking service. After you purchase the SPOT Satellite Messenger, you then have to go online and purchase the subscription, registering the device with SPOT. It's two separate transactions.

That said, I think I'll buy an ACR PLB before this item.

This looks like an extremely valuable thing. I am seriously considering it as I am frequently out alone with no one knowing where I am or even where i intended to go. (obviously there are other methods of dealing with these issues).

Since I recently started taking medication for diabetes and have already had a couple of minor incidences of "going low," something like this for such a reasonable price seems quite appealing.

I have several reservations though after reading the review above.

Basically, the reliability of the device is questionable for several reasons:

1. will not TX without a GPS fix- so you are in distress, and because it cannot give an EXACT location, it simply does not report that you need help at all. In many cases, SOMEONE knows at least where to START looking for you if they know you need help.

2. if it does not have a GPS fix, it cannot be located by other means (irrelevant due to #1)

3. May not work under adverse conditions- tree cover, heavy clouds- I suppose inside a vehicle or inside a cabin is out of the question then

4. corporate policy to not forward distress messages without a paid subscription- OK what if the subscription database messes up? You hit 9-1-1 and nothing happens because they IGNORED your distress signal you stinking deadbeat. Sounds like a lawyer is going to get a new tax bracket after that happens the first time.

On the plus side. I do like the idea of being able to "leave breadcrumbs" and check in periodically with the push of a button- provided it works.

An ordinary PLB seems to be a much better choice overall but the extreme level of response generated by these units because they relay no information except that someone has activated a device is way overkill for most distress situations and must be reserved for ONLY life threatening rescue needs. I don't think an ordinary PLB would be much worthwhile in my personal situation.

I feel that CC has made some excellent points. Here are two more:

• bear in mind that if you wish to use the tracking and rescue features of the device, you must pay hte yearly service fee each year.
  • bear in mind that most reviews of the product to date show that its ability to receive usable GPSr signals and the ability of its satellite transmitter to be "heard" by satellites is rather limited, and easily defeated by trees, foliage, hills, mountains and buildings; in fact, several reviewers found it not particularly useful in mountains or under even modest tree cover. Interestingly, some reviewers have made the point that the manufacturer tends to downplay the satellite access limitations, mentioning so far in its marketing materials that the only significant blockages are offered by mountains and buildings. As one reviewer recently noted, the manufacturer should add trees (foliage) and hills as well to the list of day-to-day obstacles which will be encountered.
  • I strongly suggest that your read the reviews and the results of field tests by reviewers before making any decisions about purchasing such a device at this time.

My own feeling about the product is that it is a nice idea, but not very useful yet for most users until the sensitivity of the GPS receiver portion is improved and until the ability of the transmitter to reach one of its satellites under modest cover is improved.