Garmin Vistas vs. Legends

I am a newbie caching with an oooooooooold Garmin GPS12 that works just fine. Someday, I may want maps and WAAS. I have been reading this forum and the Garmin site. When you compare the Vista and Legend CX models to each other or the HCx models to each other, it is all the same except for price in the categories they have.

Questions:

1. What is the real difference between a Legend and a Vista?

2. What does the "H" mean in the HCx models?

3. How close to the general area of a cache would the base map get you (in generally urban or suburban areas)

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Edited by GeoSchnoodle

1. What is the real difference between a Legend and a Vista?

Select the two and get a side by side comparison.

2. What does the "H" mean in the HCx models?

(H)igh sensitivity chip for use in urban canyons or tree canopies, etc.

3. How close to the general area of a cache would the base map get you (in generally urban or suburban areas)

Thanks in advance for your assistance

{squinting}

The base map does not affect accuracy of the GPSr. If you are asking how close a routeable basemap will get you to your local caches, I don't think anyone can answer that for you.

Edited by fratermus

The main difference between Legend and a Vista is that the latter has an electronic compass and an altimeter built in. Some find the electronic compass helpful to point your direction when you aren't moving. Others find it to be a pain to keep calibrated. If you are getting along well with the 12 (that is what I started with!), you won't miss either of these features.

The base map is about like the old state maps you used to get in gas stations (I guess you can still buy them there). They have freeways, highways and major roads throughout North America, but virtually no local roads or streets. If you live in an urban area, you already know the highways and major streets. You need City Nav maps to get any real details.

The H chipset gives better accuracy in marginal conditions. The x units have expandable memory (the regular Legend and Vista have very limited build-in memory). If you save your pennies until you can get it in all, I would go with a Legend HCx (around $220 on line) and City Nav Maps (another $100).

Thanks. I did compare them on the Garmin site and I guess I did not read the brown shaded lines where they talk about the altimeter and compass. D'uh.

Thanks Sputnik for the map clarification. I figured that a base map was not too detailed. I guess I need to work some more hours to afford an extra map program!

I told myself I'd get a new one at 100 finds, but it may be more like 250 before I can afford one. The GPS12 works just fine. It would be nice to have longer waypoint names and more cache data right on the receiver.

Santa....are you reading?<g>

Thanks Sputnik for the map clarification. I figured that a base map was not too detailed. I guess I need to work some more hours to afford an extra map program!

I told myself I'd get a new one at 100 finds, but it may be more like 250 before I can afford one. The GPS12 works just fine. It would be nice to have longer waypoint names and more cache data right on the receiver.

Since I think the gps12 doesn't autoroute, you may be able to get a copy of metroguide used off ebay or the garage sale forum. I found a 12 at a thrift store. I loaded it with a raging 8mb of metroguide map data and it's the emergency backup in my wife's glovebox. Works fine.