Camping 2008

I know there's a sticky thread for events that are GOING to happen. Anyone mulling ideas over? Or, deffo doing summat but not sure when?

2008 will see the debut of PIRATEMANIA, 3 nights minimum, not entirely sure when, but plotting some major stuff for it. Organised 3 this year in conjunction with the lovely hoppers, but will be doing just the one in 08, which will be TOP.

Any more tentative plans from peeps?

I'm in the planning stages for Lets Go Camping in Cheshire #3. It's likely to be late May.

It won't be a fluffy event like any of yours - it'll be a basic event, like last year, as I won't have much time to organise a huge affair with the house renovations!

Can't wait for camping already!!

I'm planning my first event for mid July which will be called Carry Your Own Camping. Somewhere in the middle of Dartmoor for one night only. No electric hook ups at this one!

Me and the better half will be there for this one!

I see there is no electricity but can you save us a pitch near the toilet block please :D

Yeahhhh, I am toying with the idea of Let's Go Camping in Berkshire - there is a camping field at Rushall Farm where this year's Caching Christmas Cracker is being held - its a lovely spot with good facilities (no hook up though :D ) - thinking of July sometime so we can make the most of the long, light evenings,but can be flexible. :)

Whilst on the camping subject, I'm willing to organise next year's Shrops event again, unless of course Team Maddie would like to take the reins again, or no one else has an uncontrollable urge to take it on board. ;)

I see there is no electricity but can you save us a pitch near the toilet block please :D

Hee Hee...... I'll be at this one and a few others, I have finally managed to do a proper camping event at the back end of this year where I actually managed to stay for the whole weekend!!!

I'll be doing more next year though, you won't fail to see me, I'll be the drunkard in the corner making no sense!!! :lol:

Whilst on the camping subject, I'm willing to organise next year's Shrops event again, unless of course Team Maddie would like to take the reins again, or no one else has an uncontrollable urge to take it on board. :D

I say - go for it Liane... you and that piratey bloke did a marvelous job this year - hats off to you!

Lets Go Camping in Cheshire provisionally booked for weekend of 30th May - 1st June 2008

Woohooooooooooo!!!!

if its as good as last years then ill be there.also cant wait for the annual house of boo camping event.

all in all cant wait for the camping season to begin

I've been toying with the idea of 'Let's go camping on the ISLE OF WIGHT' for nearly 3 years now ;) , as that's where I'm from and my folks have a cracking little pub there. The only problem... I live in Ireland, so organising is always gonna be a bit of a drama ;) !

Still, you never know - when I get back from Iraq in April I may well do it! August maybe... Watch this space hehe :)

sorry to sound thick, but I'm new to all this!!

camping I do know, but how do you tie in with geocaching or don't you?

Camping events are a fabulous way to meet lots of other cachers, go caching in a new area, and to cache with people you wouldn't normally get to cache with.

We generally have around 15 - 50 pitches of a campsite booked, and we all decend on the area, and basically cache... eat... drink... chat... swap daft stories, tb's and geocoins, and have a fab time.

Camping events usually start around mid May and go on (for the more hardy) until about October.

There are around 8 or 9 events each summer, with 2 MAJOR events - Carry on Camping, in June, and "Shrops" (even though it's no longer held in Shropshire) late August / Early Sept.

Kepp your eyes peeled for them popping up, and ask father christmas for a new tent!

Found two fab sites tonight, after much scanning. Totally different, one being a lovely quiet secluded affair, the other being a biker pub! Looks like I might end up doing 2 after all....!

I did the honours on Lancs this year (fab it was, too!) but as neither of the above are in Lancs, that one will be available for P&T / TSW / whoever :huh: I mean it was, anyway, but.... I'll shut up now B)

Edited by PopUpPirate

Thinking of using Church Stretton for Piratemania. Between Ludlow and Shrewsbury on the A49 west of Brum. Anyone been? Looks nice on't maps.

I spent some time there about 2 years ago - very nice, and my parents are caching there on Monday - However.... There are not a HUGE amount of caches there.

However, if I know you well enough, you're likely to change that!

We stayed on a very very small campsite, not big enough for one of our "do's" but I'm sure there'll be more. There's a fab fab fab cheap as chips shop on the main crossroads in Church Stretton that sells fab cache swaps dead cheap. There's also a great little petting zoo type place we took the ex's nephew to when we were there.

Thinking of using Church Stretton for Piratemania. Between Ludlow and Shrewsbury on the A49 west of Brum. Anyone been? Looks nice on't maps.

I spent some time there about 2 years ago - very nice, and my parents are caching there on Monday - However.... There are not a HUGE amount of caches there.

We stayed on a very very small campsite, not big enough for one of our "do's" but I'm sure there'll be more. There's a fab fab fab cheap as chips shop on the main crossroads in Church Stretton that sells fab cache swaps dead cheap. There's also a great little petting zoo type place we took the ex's nephew to when we were there.

Sounds nice. Maybe it’s a good thing that there aren’t a huge amount of caches around that area.

Not many caches suggests quality and personalised efforts; of course I haven’t been there so can’t say for certain……..

BTW, I’m not suggesting that just because an area has lots of caches that they are all rubbish

-_-

Yeahhhh, I am toying with the idea of Let's Go Camping in Berkshire - there is a camping field at Rushall Farm where this year's Caching Christmas Cracker is being held - its a lovely spot with good facilities (no hook up though :lol: ) - thinking of July sometime so we can make the most of the long, light evenings,but can be flexible. -_-

Whilst on the camping subject, I'm willing to organise next year's Shrops event again, unless of course Team Maddie would like to take the reins again, or no one else has an uncontrollable urge to take it on board. :anicute:

Hi Lianne, I'll talk to Lynn about this although she's still not getting about too well.

We stayed there briefly last summer. The site was very secluded with a great hill next door and a brook running down the edge of the campsite. Pub down the road, though we didn't get a chance to try it out. The few caches we did were quality.

A brill place, which we will certainly visit for longer next time, hopefully next summer. -_-

Sounds nice. Maybe it’s a good thing that there aren’t a huge amount of caches around that area.

Not many caches suggests quality and personalised efforts; of course I haven’t been there so can’t say for certain……..

BTW, I’m not suggesting that just because an area has lots of caches that they are all rubbish

-_-

Yeah - I know what you mean...

The caches we did there were among some of the nicest I've done, but there was also a few dreadful ones there!

Lock n Locks or ammo cans hadn't seemed seem to have made it there and hence we encountered a few mushy caches - but hey - that was 2 years ago. I'll speak to mum on Tuesday - see what she thought of the couple she's doing on her way through.

Marston 2007 has gone and almost forgotten but next summer we are planning a move to Moreton-in-Marsh and a camping and van site at the Cross Hands Inn ... early stages of planning but looks good for our normal weekend around the 9 10 and 11 of August. Not too many caches that way yet but there will be [-_-]

Bob

As some of you guys know i work for an outdoor activity company called PGL. I am toying with a camp event called "party at pgl". Pitch cost would be free, but if you wanted to have a go on the activitys then that is what would cost you.

Will give more details as and when i can as i have finished for the winter now and am back in BRUM :laughing:

As some of you guys know i work for an outdoor activity company called PGL. I am toying with a camp event called "party at pgl". Pitch cost would be free, but if you wanted to have a go on the activitys then that is what would cost you.

Will give more details as and when i can as i have finished for the winter now and am back in BRUM :laughing:

sounds good! What sort of activities?