bushwhacking stick

Sirrus123

I was thinking about buying a 3/4 inch by 48" wooden pole and using it for bushwhacking, in a quite literal sense...

What do you guys think of this?

I'm not sure what you mean by "bushwhacking in quite a literal sense", but be careful that you're not damaging the environment by the way that you're using it. There should generally be no need to beat back the vegetation, if that's what you're asking.

Buy one? Nooooo.... just keep caching until someday you stumble upon the perfect walking stick. I have several that I culled from beaver dams over the years. I gave them a light sanding, followed by a couple of coats of varnish or linseed oil. If you want, drill a hole through the top to receive a leather bootlace. It will mean so much more to you than some stick that you bought...IMO.

Edited by knowschad

I was thinking about buying a 3/4 inch by 48" wooden pole and using it for bushwhacking, in a quite literal sense...

I'm not sure what you mean by "bushwhacking in quite a literal sense", but be careful that you're not damaging the environment by the way that you're using it. There should generally be no need to beat back the vegetation, if that's what you're asking.

Buy one? Nooooo.... just keep caching until someday you stumble upon the perfect walking stick. I have several that I culled from beaver damns over the years. I gave them a light sanding, followed by a couple of coats of varnish or linseed oil. If you want, drill a hole through the top to receive a leather bootlace. It will mean so much more to you than some stick that you bought...IMO.

I'm in 100% agreement. A found stick is so far superior to a bought one. One of my favorites was picked up on the Green River Lakes in Wyoming while I was hunkering down behind my canoe when the wind came up so strong that I had to run ashore. I inverted the canoe and got down behind it to get out of the wind. This was many years ago, long before wood spirits became the rage and as I sat there waiting for the wind to abate I carved a face in that stick. I left it just the way it was, it was an old root and had that great looking silver sheen that driftwood gets after being out in the elements for years. I wrapped a leather hand grip around it later and that is the best stick I've got. It also bring back fond memories of a great trip every time I pick it up.

Well its good to have spare until then, right?

I use a sheep herders staff. That hook is handy. They are also cheap.

They are better than sticks you can find. Sticks you can find seldom have a hook.

I've hung off of things using that hook to reach the cache. I've hooked my kids to keep them from running off (they hate that). I've hooked ammo cans deep in rock cracks. The hooks fits around tree branches to pull them down so you can reach the cache, OR to climb up a tree if the lowest branch is a bit high to grab.

The only thing they don't do is collapse to travel with.

I have to admit, Beavers have good tasted in sticks. If they could only make hooks...Maybe I can get a beaver mad with my stick and he will customize it for me next time I bump into one.

Edited by Renegade Knight

If you mean to literally whack bushes back with a stick, I think you should come up with a better idea. That's all we need is for a park ranger seeing a geocacher doing that. :D We try to make this a low impact sport - or at least we should.

Edited by briansnat

Buy one? Nooooo.... just keep caching until someday you stumble upon the perfect walking stick. I have several that I culled from beaver damns over the years. I gave them a light sanding, followed by a couple of coats of varnish or linseed oil. If you want, drill a hole through the top to receive a leather bootlace. It will mean so much more to you than some stick that you bought...IMO.

You sanded and drilled a beaver!? That's insane!

Persponally I drive a bulldozer to all the caches I find.

Actually I'm so stealthy that even last winter with 3 feet of snow and 600 yards to a cache along a trail, I didn't even leave ANY footprints that anyone could follow to the puzzle cache. Basically I went about 50 yards from the car, went off into the woods, took a pee, hopped to a downed log and from a spot 30 feet from the yellow spot, bushwhacked a hundred feet from the trail all the way to the cache. Sure someone could follow the start but my decoy would deter them from thinking there was any more trail to follow.

But back to bushwhacking sticks. Also last year I was caching on my way to an event in a neighboring state. Got to the site of a puzzle cache and discovered I was on the other side of a 15 foot unfrozen deep river from the cache. I found a long pole and was looking for a good spot to pole vault when walking along the bank the stick made me stumble on ice and smash my knee. 10 months later there is still a twinge once ion a while. Oh, I ended up walking 300 yards not quite along the river to a bridge and 300 yards back to get the cache then 300 yards back to the car all with a bloody knee. Friends at the event all commented on the blood.

Wow - those hand-carved sticks sound amazing! But if you just want something quick and cheap, try your friendly local WalMart. We just bought a couple of hiking sticks for about $10 each; we found them in the hunting/fishing section of the store. They adjust for different heights, and also can be folded down a little shorter for packing. Another local geocacher uses them and recommended them as a much cheaper alternative to the very pricy hiking poles sold by the outdoor adventure stores. We like using them for climbing up and down slippery slopes where a little extra traction is nice, and they're also good for poking into hollow tree trunks.

Edited by The VanDucks

HHHHMMMMM, this thread evolved from bushwacking sticks to hiking sticks. :D

That's because a good hiking stick will be able to bushwack as well, or it isn't worth having. First thing I do with a new stick is wack it on the ground to make sure it doesn't break. No sense spending a lot of time carving if it's just going to break later.

As for damage to the environment, I was at a State Park yesterday. After seeing the environmental damage that hundreds of hunters and their dogs have done to the brushy areas (paths, broken branches, BUSHWACKING to the extreme), I don't know that I'd worry a whole lot about some lone geocacher wacking down one dead burr plant.

Of course the enviro-proper thing to do while bushwacking is to move that offensie Burr plant gently out of your way with your walking stick.

I would suggest using an old broom stick if you want a temporary and very cheap item until you can find a wooden one you like. But, eventhough we have two beautiful wooden walking sticks, I never use mine. My husband still uses his, but I prefer my metal telescoping one. It has a nice pointy end that can be used to protect yourself, dig into the ground to get better footing, great on water crossing, and it can also be used to stab trash when CITOing. Plus, it collapses so I can fold it up and tie it to my pack when I don't want to carry it. It also adjusts to any level so I can hand it over to one of my kids if they want it (although they usually hike with their snowshoeing poles).

stick-1.jpgstick-2.jpg

Here's a pic of my 5' 4.5" walking stick that my father and I "cultivated" when I was a teenager. We went into our woods out back (we had two acres--one was woods, the other was lawn), tagged a bunch of vine-entwined trees and came back a year later. Some were cooler than others. I spent a considerable amount of time debarking, devining, and staining this beefy walking stick. The parts that aren't as dark are rub-off from normal wear and tear.

Edited by meralgia

Contrary to popular belief, the earth will not shrivel up and blow away if a few seasonal weeds are bushwhacked...

No, the Earth won't blow away, but you can bet that if a park ranger were to see a geocacher hacking at weeds with a stick or machete it could mean the end of the sport in that park system.

Nothing we do is going to destroy the earth, but if land managers begin to perceive our sport as high impact, we're going to start losing places to play.

Edited by briansnat

My main stick is persimmon. There was a small persimmon tree outside of my other home in Mississippi that screamed "take me take me, I'm a walkng stick", so I did. I cut it, peeled it, and put it over the AC vent to dry it for a couple of weeks. Then I sealed it with polyurethane, put a rubber stopper on the bottom and a leather thong on the top, voile', walking stick! Found a "toy" but useful compass that points north most of the time to put on the leather thong.

Also bought a red Wal-Mart walking stick--I prefer the persimmon.

I use my ETrek fold-o-matic hiking pole with built in camera stand for hiking and geocaching. I had this LONG before I started geocaching. I try not to bushwhack, but there are times when folks place caches in blackberry bushes and in cases like that, some bush "Movement" is required. :)

Rontro

As a child I had a favorite bushwacking aka walking stick. It finally bit the dust. Now that I am geocaching, I wanted to be prepared. I have a wooden dowel that I drilled a hole in (handle end) and put string. Although we all call it a bushwacking stick, it is mainly a pokey in places you dont want to stick hand stick as well as to gently move vegetation aka Poison Ivy out of the way. I put the hole and string so that the kids in our group would not confuse the ends. I dont want to touch the end that has been near the PI. If I were to find a cool stick on the trails I would use it but so far not much luck. My wooden dowel works well for poking, walking, etc.

ttfn

Donna

If you mean to literally whack bushes back with a stick, I think you should come up with a better idea. That's all we need is for a park ranger seeing a geocacher doing that. :laughing: We try to make this a low impact sport - or at least we should.

Oh, but it is okay to steal sticks from beaver dams !

Yes, I can see that, after all, there are many more beavers and beaver dams, than there are bushes and leaves... :mad:

I think this topic has degraded from using a stick to whack bushes to comments on walking sticks.

One is good for your health, the other is just plain bad for Mother Nature.

I'm not so sure that it's truly bad for nature. Nature is resilient. The damage caused by one person whacking bushes with a stick is minimal and temporary.

It certainly is bad however for perceptions about our sport.

Edited by briansnat

If you mean to literally whack bushes back with a stick, I think you should come up with a better idea. That's all we need is for a park ranger seeing a geocacher doing that. :laughing: We try to make this a low impact sport - or at least we should.

Oh, but it is okay to steal sticks from beaver dams !

Yes, I can see that, after all, there are many more beavers and beaver dams, than there are bushes and leaves... :)

Hey, the beaver stole it first, it would just rot there sitting in all that water, you are just allowing it to continue on its journey. LMAO :D

Why dont we all go out and start forest fires. That would be much better for the enviroment than molesting grasses and bushes.

Actually forest fires ARE good for the environment. Millions of years ago its how nature managed plant life and animals. Natural burns control overgrowth and encourage new growth. In fact, some seeds require burns to germinate. Its people who have "gotten in the way" so to speak by trying to STOP fires. There are plants who's existence is endangered because humans stop natural burns. Sorry...off topic I know. Its just that fires aren't a bad thing. Its when people are sadly in the way of the fires that's a very bad thing. If we allowed natural burns, fires wouldn't be as devastating as they are now, fed to monstrous proportions by gross overgrowth. But from the ashes...comes new life. OK...hoping down off my soapbox. :laughing:

Now...on topic....I finally found me a nice hikey pokey pole I liked...and unfortunately I found it cumbersome. I had a dog leash, GPSr, camera and the stick....too much for two small hands to manage. It has remained in my car since. It might be handier minus the dog but I take him with me for hikes as much as I can. I'd LIKE to be able to carry it but I was just a bumbling mess with all of that.