World Diabetes Day Geocoins

Cornerstone4

Oh, and Eartha better start getting her fingers warmed up for a lot more typing. :D

May not be necessary. On the "How do I take part?" page it states:

You can now choose to keep your Geocoin, swap with a fellow geocacher or place the WDD Geocoin into the cache of your choice!

That is an interesting fact. At first, all I saw was the opening page where it seemed to indicate that you were supposed to place the coin in a cache or swap it with another cacher...but the page you referenced does seem to indicate you can keep the coin...

Hi everybody. I'm going to need your help. I am hoping that anyone that orders one will please read this first. And tell anyone they know, that ordered one, to read that first. And teach anyone who doesn't know, that ordered one, to follow those instructions.

Also, these will not be for collecting or trading, they are to be moved from cache to cache to get to their goal. Remeber that they are being offered through the Unite for Diabetes Foundation, the same as the Travel Bugs, and not everyone ordering one will be a geocacher. That's why approximately 40% of the U4D TB's are still not logged, but more are still being placed each week, I'm still getting notifications on the ones I posted notes to.

When you sign up for one, you do not become the owner of the coin, you become the original guardian of the coin, and you agree to place it in a cache as soon as you can, when you sign up. You do not set the goal, you do not drill holes in it, deface it, attach anything to it, or send out a copy in its place. You will be helping to spread the word about an insidious disease that we all need to find a cure for.

AND YOU DO NOT GET TO SELL IT ON EBAY! Please and thank you.

It will still have to the Unite for Diabetes Foundation as its owner.

Thanks to all who contribute their time to moving these geocoins and spreading the word.

PS: My fingers are warmed up for Ctrl c Ctrl v :D You don't think I actually typed each message on those hundreds and hundreds of TBs, did you? Copy and paste is my friend!

Oh, and Eartha better start getting her fingers warmed up for a lot more typing. :D

May not be necessary. On the "How do I take part?" page it states:

You can now choose to keep your Geocoin, swap with a fellow geocacher or place the WDD Geocoin into the cache of your choice!

However, on the first page it states:

As an original recipient or finder of a WDD Geocoin, we ask that you place it in a geocache for others to move, share and enjoy. Each WDD Geocoin is imprinted with a unique tracking number. When you find one, visit the Unite for Diabetes geocaching site at http://unite.Geocaching.com and enter the tracking number to view a history of its travels and see who has discovered it. Here you can check up on the WDD ‘07 Geocoins as they travel the world.

Also, they will already be activated when they get to your doorstep.

Also, they will already be activated when they get to your doorstep.

Ugh, now we'll need a pinned Your 'United For Diabetes' Activation Code thread for the coin forum.

Hehe, not a problem, I'll just copy and paste the TB one and change TB to geocoin, and then I'll remove the approved vendor list to make room for it, up top.

I AM KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll find a place to post it. Not a problem. I'm hoping it would be right on each geocoin page. I'll mention this to Bryan.

It clearly states on the site that we can now keep these coins in our collections if we choose to do that. Is the site wrong?
Can you show me where? I can't find it.

Go to unite.geocaching.com

Click "How do I take part?"

(or, if you like, go straight to unite.geocaching.com/wdd/takingpart.aspx)

It is the last sentence on the page

Also, these will not be for collecting or trading, they are to be moved from cache to cache to get to their goal.

It clearly states on the site that we can now keep these coins in our collections if we choose to do that. Is the site wrong?

Can you show me where? I can't find it.

It's in the how do I take part....

How do I get the Geocoin into my inventory?

A: Follow these simple steps and you will be all set…

In the field type the Tracking Number and click the Lookup button.

In the top right corner of the resulting page, click the link in the Trackable Item Options box called Add a log entry.

From the Type of log drop-down select "Grab it from somewhere else".

Enter any optional comments you wish and click the Submit log entry button.

Then they have contradicted themselves, if you read the first page.

I would hope people who ordered them would send them out and spread the word.

On the first page it states:

As an original recipient or finder of a WDD Geocoin, we ask that you place it in a geocache for others to move, share and enjoy. Each WDD Geocoin is imprinted with a unique tracking number. When you find one, visit the Unite for Diabetes geocaching site at http://unite.Geocaching.com and enter the tracking number to view a history of its travels and see who has discovered it. Here you can check up on the WDD ‘07 Geocoins as they travel the world.

Edited by Eartha

I'm surprised they didn't think to sell them as a fund raiser.

Given that the sponsor of the coins is Merck (huge pharmaceutical company), they likely aren't hurting for money. :D

Yeah but the United Diabetes Foundation is a non-profit organization which clearly does accept donations. So again, I hope Groundspeak would consider an additional run of these coins that could be sold to the coining cachers. I know I'd like to have 1 to keep.

i looked at the page and the first thing that struck me too is how clear it is as to what to do with these coins - the sent ones you move the monument ones are yours - they are activated like the lackey coins and probably owned by signal.

I expect though in practive it will be a stuff up- the move me coins look identical and have no documents in the plastic flip - or worse something about moving it on the back of all coins ....emailing shauna for clarification

PS. why don't they get these things beta tested before floating ?????

Edited by forthferalz

I'm not worried about the contradiction in usage of the WDD Geocoin as I'm definitely putting it into a local cache.

I am as it will be a pretty poor introduction to the coining pastime for a newb if they either have no idea how to use it or get their new 'prize' taken away, trades requests laughed off or hammered with 'move me posts'.... it could be really awful! Not the idea at all.

ps> they will get just as much if not more milage from giving away the coins as people will still share them at events and even activate and trade....as a tb they will look rather sad after a year if they are unprotected bronze

Edited by forthferalz

They should make more of these in a different metal and sell the coins and donate the profits to the Unite for Diabetes Organization.

Agreed.

I definitely appreciate gc.com & company providing the free coins and bugs. And I would take even more pride in owning one to release. Maybe in the name of a loved one (or myself if I had the disease).

Now the waiting game begins... checking the mailbox.. wondering if the neighbor kid stole it it.. only now I have a new worry. Am I one of the lucky few who was quick enough on the draw to get a coin in time. Hopefully when the the 1500 run out they will shut down the portion of the site. unless they ran out before i got my order in and they didn't have time to shut it down... oh the pain my family must endure while I wait for the precious to arrive... or not arrive.

Edited by Harriet the Spy

We put an order in for one too. My (Nora's) mom has diabetes and Chip has diabetes. Chip actually had to have a kidney transplant because of his diabetes and he is visually impaired because of it. His dad donated a kidney to him. He is doing great now but he had to go through 2 years of dialysis.

This is just some info we found out today which has us scared now because we bought and ate some of this product but if you have this please throw it out and try to get your money back or do what it says in the article (which we won't be doing because I will never eat them again) because it says it could cause kidney failure. Here is the link to MSN. If this link is a problem I am sorry.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21581821/wid/11915773?GT1=10613

ALL,

The wording has changed....here is the last sentence on the page:

"Please place the WDD Geocoin into a geocache for others to find, move and enjoy!"

This is for a good cause.....don't be greedy and keep the coin. It's just like stealing an already released geocoin. You wouldn't do that....WOULD YOU?

Keep 'em moving.

V/R,

Dan

Team_DDNight