Waypoint NAMES to my GPS

GeoCRAt

Hi from Dubai,

I am using EasyGPS (and I have just downloaded the trial version of ExpertGPS). Also I recently joined as a premium member so I get a file eack week of the caches in the United Arab Emirates and Oman (around 120 in total).

What I would like to do is download the NAME to my GPS, rather than the cache CODE. I have been successful only by going into each waypoint individually (right click, edit waypoint, change the name of the waypoint by clicking on the double arrow).

What I would like is an easy way to do this for all waypoints at one time. I tried Edit - - - Preferences - - - Geocaching - - - and set the waypoint to Geocache name, yet when I download them to my GPS (Garmin Nuvi 350) they still come out as the cache CODES on my GPS.

Two questions:

1) Is there a way for me to select all waypoints at one time and change the setting so that when they download to my GPS it shows the cache NAME rather than the CODE?

2) Is it possible, when setting up the pocket query, to allow users the choice of whether they get the waypoints by NAME or cache CODE?

Thanks, and regards from sunny Dubai.

GeoCRAt.

Download GSAK and install it. As a Premium Member you can do pocket queries. You can drop your pocket queries into GSAK and configure it to send whatever information you want to your GPSr. Some folks are intimidated by all the capabilities of GSAK but I don't let it worry me. I only use the parts of it I need. When I send caches to my GPSr from GSAK I get the "smart name" which in the case of my unit is 14 characters long. In the info field you can get the full name, the hint, the difficulty, terrain, size, etc. Basically, you can set it to send the info to your unit however you want it. The only constraint is the size of the field your unit can accept and display.

I'm with you. The GCxxxx number doesn't do a thing for me.

Edited by Thrak

Hi from Dubai,

I am using EasyGPS (and I have just downloaded the trial version of ExpertGPS). Also I recently joined as a premium member so I get a file eack week of the caches in the United Arab Emirates and Oman (around 120 in total).

What I would like to do is download the NAME to my GPS, rather than the cache CODE. I have been successful only by going into each waypoint individually (right click, edit waypoint, change the name of the waypoint by clicking on the double arrow).

What I would like is an easy way to do this for all waypoints at one time. I tried Edit - - - Preferences - - - Geocaching - - - and set the waypoint to Geocache name, yet when I download them to my GPS (Garmin Nuvi 350) they still come out as the cache CODES on my GPS.

Two questions:

1) Is there a way for me to select all waypoints at one time and change the setting so that when they download to my GPS it shows the cache NAME rather than the CODE?

2) Is it possible, when setting up the pocket query, to allow users the choice of whether they get the waypoints by NAME or cache CODE?

Thanks, and regards from sunny Dubai.

GeoCRAt.

The latest version of EasyGPS will not give you the name. I went through the same thing you are experiencing. I emailed the person that wrote the program and never received a reply. By Luck a friend had saved an older version of EasyGPS and sent it to me. The old version works fine