Geocaching saves my house from trick or treaters

briansnat

Yesterday afternoon I was working from home and the bell rang. I suddenly realized that I forgot to buy candy and sure enough there were several kids on the porch in costume.

Time to think fast. I ran to my geocaching swag box and pulled out a few small cans of Play-Doh and gave them to the kids (the actually were excited about it), then placed a frantic call to my wife to get candy on the way home.

I spent the next hour holding off the trick or treaters by giving them geocaching swag like watercolor sets, Matchbox cars and more Play Doh, hoping my wife arrived with the candy before my swag box emptied of all kid appropriate swag (I'm not so sure they would have appreciated the rain ponchos and waterproof matchboxes).

Now I have to replenish my swag box, but at least my house wasn't egged.

Yesterday afternoon I was working from home and the bell rang. I suddenly realized that I forgot to buy candy and sure enough there were several kids on the porch in costume.

Time to think fast. I ran to my geocaching swag box and pulled out a few small cans of Play-Doh and gave them to the kids (the actually were excited about it), then placed a frantic call to my wife to get candy on the way home.

I spent the next hour holding off the trick or treaters by giving them geocaching swag like watercolor sets, Matchbox cars and more Play Doh, hoping my wife arrived with the candy before my swag box emptied of all kid appropriate swag (I'm not so sure they would have appreciated the rain ponchos and waterproof matchboxes).

Now I have to replenish my swag box, but at least my house wasn't egged.

You're a better man than I am. I'd have turned off the porch light and pretended to be away. :D Does this make me curmudeonly?

Quick thinking. When I saw the topic and the OP I figured he just used his standard muggle diversion technique to deal with the little beggers. :D

I think one of my neighbors also forgot to buy candy. Many of the kids visiting our porch had cans of Diet Coke in their sacks already. :mad:

Already?

Does that mean you forgot too... and were ALSO handing out Diet Coke?

(There is a house we visit every year that regularly and purposefully hands out soda... this year, some off brand stuff... BUT two bonuses - NOT diet and NOT caffeinated. Not that it matters on the caffeine front... I usually let them take it to school in their lunch for a "I don't have to deal with the repercussions" treat.)

michelle

I'm not so sure they would have appreciated the rain ponchos and waterproof matchboxes

I just spewed coffee everywhere!

I can just see it now....

"The guy up the street is giving the kids matches?!?!"

ROTFLMAO! :D

My house:

"Here ya go kid...."

"What is that mister?"

"That my boy is a .40 caliber cartridge"

"But mister... my gun's a 9mm"

"Life ain't fair kid, get used to it.... and get off my porch."

:mad::(:huh::D

(DISCLAIMER: For those of you who don't "get" humor... I didn't give ammo out to any kids (costs too much). In fact, we had candy ready and got not a single visitor.)

Edited by Driver Carries Cache

You use PLAY DOUGH as SWAG!

PLAY DOUGH is FOOOD! Raccoons LUV it. They will rip open an AMMO box to get at it and scatter far and wide anything else that's in there with it.

NEVER put PLAY DOUGH in a cache. I have had to repair four caches because someone put PLAY DOUGH in them. If I ever find it as swag, I remove it from the cache even if I have nothing to trade. I figure I'm doing the owner a big favor by removing food from their cache.

Last year my wife and I could not agree on the number of kids that came to our house so this year, we counted. From 6:30 until 8:20 PM we got 457 Trick or Treaters, at which time we ran out of candy, and turned out the lights. We gave out 1,080 pieces of candy, giving 1, 2 or 3 pieces depending on cuteness or originality.

A neighbor said they kept coming until about 9:30, easily 100 more. I did not think of Geo-swag, but it would not have lasted long. Just have to buy more bags of candy....

... NEVER put PLAY DOUGH in a cache. I have had to repair four caches because someone put PLAY DOUGH in them. If I ever find it as swag, I remove it from the cache even if I have nothing to trade. I figure I'm doing the owner a big favor by removing food from their cache.
Since many people disagree with you and believe that it is a fine trade item that isn't against the guidelines, you might want to trade the playdoh out, rather than simply removing it without a trade. You'll make fewer enemies that way.

I thought that I was the only one that still used kid friendly swag. Atleast in my area older cachers complain that there is only kiddy swag and nothing of quality. Now we have had to create kid friendly caches as there seems to be fewer kid friendly swag items. The last event I was at I just dropped off some crayons and chalk in the cache and was still in the area when a family came by and found the cache. I'll never forget how happy the little girl was when she pulled out the crayons for trade. While I don't have a problem with giving out adult items I think cachers need to remember the little ones also when they buy swag and try to get an equal amount of both adult and kiddie swag.