compass issues

jtstretch

my compass seems to be wigging out lately. its off by alot. ill be pointing north for instance and its showing westish. point east and its northish. anyone else have this?

Do a search. This question usually starts a very entertaining thread because everyone has their view of what you mean when you say "compass". It is not the arrow in my view. It is the ring. The "electronic compass" should cause the bearing arrow to point at the destination no matter which way you point the GPS. That is the point of the electronic compass, so to speak.

Calibration could be the issue.

The manual suggests recalibration after installing new batteries, after travelling 100 miles or a temperature change greater than 68 degrees F.

I'd suggest recalibration if you look at the device funny. It was a happy day when I realized I could just slowly turn the device in my hand, rather than slowly spinning myself in a circle and looking like a jerk.

I'd suggest recalibration if you look at the device funny. It was a happy day when I realized I could just slowly turn the device in my hand, rather than slowly spinning myself in a circle and looking like a jerk.

ROFL you probably looked more crazy then a jerk. Especially if you were mumbling to yourself about having to recalibrate the compass so often. People probably thought you were talking to your cell phone to the tune of "k-mart underwear, definetely k-mart underwear"

I haven't had any problems with mine, however I re-cal the compass often, I find that its such an easy task, why chance it. not that I rely on the compass its more of a perk than anything.

was recently out with a buddy that has a magellan 600 and he decided to re-cal his compass as well, that was a joke, I was done in about 3 seconds, meanwhile he had to set his on the ground and than flip it over, though he was frying an egg. oh and then he still had to turn it around twice.

When in doubt just reset it. doesn't take long. and you can always change your set up as to when you want to switch to the electronic compass. there might be a bit of a lag if you are in and around that speed, it might not know which one to use.

Try changing your settings and playing around with it to see how you like it best. I have mine set at about 20 kms/hr. 'cas I know I can't run that fast and I know I'm not going to be driving that slow.

Hope this helps

was recently out with a buddy that has a magellan 600 and he decided to re-cal his compass as well, that was a joke, I was done in about 3 seconds, meanwhile he had to set his on the ground and than flip it over, though he was frying an egg. oh and then he still had to turn it around twice.

I didn't realize the Magellans had to be flipped during calibration, but it makes sense as they have a 3-axis compass. I wish Garmin would go that direction; I wouldn't mind the flipping if they would go with a 3-axis compass. I suspect a lot of the problems we discuss are caused by the lack of the third axis, which makes the Garmins very very sensitive to leveling. I've even thought of putting a bubble level on mine, but haven't found one I think would work.

True, I don't seam to have a problem with the compass, probably 'cas I don't use it much, I am always traveling in a line or heading to a fixed way point so I don't rely on it for "sighting"

You could probably find a bubble level at a hard ware store, designed to put on a drill. I am thinking that should be small enough and should work good if you need it.

G

I didn't realize the Magellans had to be flipped during calibration, but it makes sense as they have a 3-axis compass. I wish Garmin would go that direction; I wouldn't mind the flipping if they would go with a 3-axis compass. I suspect a lot of the problems we discuss are caused by the lack of the third axis, which makes the Garmins very very sensitive to leveling. I've even thought of putting a bubble level on mine, but haven't found one I think would work.