Screenless + inexpensive GPSr

shacker

I'm gearing up to help teach a class that will involve geotagging a lot of photos.

I'm aware of the software options for combining timestamped track data with digital photo timestamps. What I'm looking for is the cheapest way to get timestamped track data I can use with that software.

I've seen the $150 Sony screen-less unit made for this purpose, but am looking for something in the $50 range, if such an animal exists. I thought I had seen one online once and bookmarked it, but can no longer find the bookmark.

Does anyone have recommendations on small, cheap screenless units that record timestamped track data? I may need to buy 8 - 10 of them.

Thanks,

Scot

I'm gearing up to help teach a class that will involve geotagging a lot of photos.

I'm aware of the software options for combining timestamped track data with digital photo timestamps. What I'm looking for is the cheapest way to get timestamped track data I can use with that software.

I've seen the $150 Sony screen-less unit made for this purpose, but am looking for something in the $50 range, if such an animal exists. I thought I had seen one online once and bookmarked it, but can no longer find the bookmark.

Does anyone have recommendations on small, cheap screenless units that record timestamped track data? I may need to buy 8 - 10 of them.

Thanks,

Scot

Are you talking about something like this ?

Ebay GPS Data Logger

Regards,

Mike

There are several GPS "dongles" that allow you to get GPS data to a PC. The Garmin 18 is one, but it ususally comes with detailed maps and in that configuration is likely to be priced higher that you want. The 18 comes with serial or USB connectors. There are also bluetooth dongles (is it still a dongle if there isn't a wire?) like the Freedom mini bluetooth GPS. Again, the price is a stretch just now.