City Nav 2008 NT or not NT

MysticX

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy City Navigator 2008 for my Garmin 60Cx unit. Garmin seems to recommand the NT version. However, I've read some experience (mostly on the CSX, but it's almost the same unit) reporting that the NT version is running slow (when calculating a route for example or looking for a waypoint).

Is anybody here have any troubles (or any good experience!) using the NT version on such devices (60Cx or 60CSx)?

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy City Navigator 2008 for my Garmin 60Cx unit. Garmin seems to recommand the NT version. However, I've read some experience (mostly on the CSX, but it's almost the same unit) reporting that the NT version is running slow (when calculating a route for example or looking for a waypoint).

Is anybody here have any troubles (or any good experience!) using the NT version on such devices (60Cx or 60CSx)?

Thanks!

I use a 60CSx with CN NT v8 and also have U.S. Topo and custom made maps all loaded to my GPSr and haven't seen any significant issues with it running slow. I have not tried the non NT version so I can't really say if NT runs slower or not. For me, even if it were to run slightly slower than the non NT it isn't enough to make me want the non NT version; because the compressed map segments on NT are definitley better for most users since most everyone is going to bigger memory cards where the map segment limit of 2,025 really becomes an issue when laoding both CN maps and Topo maps.

I have a 76CSx. I'm still running City Select v7. I've considered upgrading to City Navigator 2008 and, if I do so, I will definitely get the NT version. I've heard folks speculate about whether it would be slower or not but I haven't seen or heard any real evidence that it is any slower at all.

I asked a Garmin tech about it while I was on the phone regarding a repair to my unit. He said there was no issue with the NT version being slower.

Edited by Thrak

Given a choice I'd go with the non-nt version. Both have the same data but the NT is compressed smaller. The more compression the more computing power it takes to uncompress. Considering you can fit the regular version on a 2gig sd card I see no reason to get the nt version just because it can fit on a 1gig sd card. The price difference between the two cards is $10 or so.

If you purchase the maps on a pre-programmed SD card, you will not be able to put anything else on the card (at least not without corrupting the data). You also won't be able to copy/backup the data on the card. And you won't be able to use the maps with your computer.

The advantage of the SD card is simplicity as you won't have to load the maps yourself and the card can be used with any GPS device with which it is compatible.

Thanks for all the new input here...

I don't need all the North America maps at once in the GPS, so I don't need a large SD card.

I don't want to have a pre-programmed SD cards with the maps, since I sometimes uses the maps to locate a coordinates on my computer, and that I want to also have some topos on the cards which, as far as I know, is impossible to do using an SD card.

I live in Canada, and I'm currently using Metroguide Canada v4. However, the maps didn't get an update for some time now (2002), and some streets are outdated, GPS going through lot of turns when it could just have taken a "new" road. That's one of the reasons why I consider CityNav.

One other advantage the NT version has over the non-NT for Canada is the support for postal code, which is only in the NT version. I don't think it's an essential feature, since I rarely need to find a place with a postal code... I guess I'll go with the non-NT version, because I agree that the NT decompression requires a little more processing power that may not be always available on portable units like the 60c' series.

Thanks to all of you!