how to find archived caches?

klossner

Given the number of requests to show archived caches on google maps, it has been decided to return this feature. I'm afraid there has been no date set for their return yet, but I will let you all know when work on this is resumed. Thank you for expressing your feelings.

Edit: I should mention also that this will be a Premium Member feature, as before.

Yay! Best news I've heard all day (except for the demise of the blue blotches, of course). Thanks a million!

Given the number of requests to show archived caches on google maps, it has been decided to return this feature. I'm afraid there has been no date set for their return yet, but I will let you all know when work on this is resumed. Thank you for expressing your feelings.

Edit: I should mention also that this will be a Premium Member feature, as before.

That's AWESOME!!!!!!

Thanks!

That's AWESOME!!!!!!

Thanks!

Great news, thanks for the update.

I'd like to add my bit here.

I'm building a bookmark list of caches in a series - quite a big series. One of the interesting things about the series is it's history.

Being able to search for archived caches is part of building up that historical data.

Please, along with PQ keyword searching, add the ability to PQ search for archived caches

Please, along with PQ keyword searching, add the ability to PQ search for archived caches

In another topic, we've been Trying for that for over a Year now... Unf. the response there has been a NO! Though some do bring up good points, I have the feeling that its futile.

The Steaks

P.S. My vote was to Allow that option.

Can't be that tough... it was there to start with, and was removed, so it shouldn't be too much work to return it.

You're forgetting that there was a change in the mapping software platform. Because of that, I don't think it's a matter of flipping a switch.

Yes, but there wasn't any problem adding the Wherigo cache type to the maps... so there shouldn't be any problem telling the maps to add caches with another specific attribute (archived) to them. It was agreed that it would be done - it seems like it is taking forever, and no time frame has been given.

Could someone in the technical area explain why it's taking so long, or give some idea of when it will be done?

From a database perspective, I don't see adding archived caches to the maps as being analogous to adding a new type of active cache.

As for timing, I am assuming lately that any promised change will come out as part of v2. That way, if it appears earlier, I am pleasantly surprised.

As for timing, I am assuming lately that any promised change will come out as part of v2.

And when are we expecting v2? I don't even know what it is, so your answer didn't help me. (I'm not being sarcastic; I really want to know.)

I second that question. I do realize that there was a mapping software changeover(which I generally like), BUT why can't we just have the old maps back with this feature switched back on. I'm sure its in one of the Server Backups.

The Steaks

As for timing, I am assuming lately that any promised change will come out as part of v2. That way, if it appears earlier, I am pleasantly surprised.
Works for me...

In Jeremy's post he suggests there might be previews starting Q2. The 2nd quarter of the year starts tomorrow... I guess I shouldn't hold my breath... :laughing:

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend you hold your breath. The quarter is three months long.

Odds are you would turn some interesting shades of blue.

I kinda got the impression that any changes are going to happen with or after the new site is brought up to speed. Necessary maintenance and repairs only until that time. unnecessary changes would be a waste of time.

*Cough* Actually, the 2nd quarter ENDED a couple hours ago. When people refer to Quarters of a year, they are Supposed to be talking of the Fiscal year. This starts 1 October of each and every year.

1 Oct -31 Dec = 1st Quarter

1 Jan -31 Mar = 2nd Quarter

1 Apr -31 Jun = 3rd Quarter

1 Jul - 31 Sep = 4th Quarter

Do people not realize this? Has Anyone payed Any attention to the news... "We're seeing slumping 1st quarter sales this holiday season" was one of the often releated phrases in the news last year.

The Steaks

*Cough* Actually, the 2nd quarter ENDED a couple hours ago. When people refer to Quarters of a year, they are Supposed to be talking of the Fiscal year. This starts 1 October of each and every year.

1 Oct -31 Dec = 1st Quarter

1 Jan -31 Mar = 2nd Quarter

1 Apr -31 Jun = 3rd Quarter

1 Jul - 31 Sep = 4th Quarter

Do people not realize this? Has Anyone payed Any attention to the news... "We're seeing slumping 1st quarter sales this holiday season" was one of the often releated phrases in the news last year.

The Steaks

That's the government and several business organizations. One business I worked for started theirs on 1 Nov, and the one I work for now starts on 1 Jan. I always assume, unless it's the Government we're talking about (and then I never assume anything!), that the first quarter starts on 1 Jan.

Soooo.....

Does anyone know if there has been progress on this issue? Is there any way to view archived caches?

Not that I've seen. I'm Patiently waiting thru High finders list of found caches finding those that Might have been in the area that I'm looking at placing a cache.

Just the other day, I found a referance to a cache that was archived... Strangely, it was only 50 Feet from where I had just placed a cache. After reading the logs, I removed the cache due to issues with the previous one there...

^

That's exactly what I'm concerned about. I found a file mile stretch of bike path without a single cache - in a high-cache density area. Just can't believe a cache has never been placed there. Before setting one up myself, I would like to check for any archived caches, and the reasons they might have been abandoned.

I will see what I can do to hasten this along.

That would be wonderful

~ Just this past week I've seen two caches placed near me in spots that had issues in the past.

Both hiders mentioned being "surprised that no one had placed a cache here before" and both are new cachers no one knows very well. It's difficult to write to them to say, "Hey. Did you see such and such a archived cache?" >Knowing they did not.

It's easier when we can look before placing the cache and decide how to alter the hide to prevent problems.

Just like to say I'm still anxiously awaiting the return of this ;)

As am I. If I remember, someone said that with the new and improved site, that this would be avaliable for Premium Members again?? Whats the Timeframe for this implementation?

The Steaks

Come on, it's only been 11 months since they announced it'll return. Not even a year yet. Keep on holding your breath...

I must have missed that, can you post a link to that announcement?

Its post #81 in this thread...

Edit Looks like LHollo777 beat me to it.

Edited by AndrewRJ

We're all here.. Still waiting for the Big giant v2 release. I thought it was coming out today.

One can only hope.

The Steaks

Topic bump. In light of the new features added to the site recently, I'm surprised this didn't arrive with them. When can we expect this to happen now?

I sure hope so.

Visitin HQ on friday... Already heard that its on the list... - wanna see this list.

Is it possible to add a feature to GC.com by making a script using Greasemonkey? I have Greasemonkey and have added a whole list of features to GC.com by previously made scripts. Some of those include, direct logging button on cache listings when not on the page, showing all logs posted on a certain cache in top right corner and a number of other things. Why can't one be made to search archived caches?

any way of getting those useful scripts?

Is it possible to add a feature to GC.com by making a script using Greasemonkey? I have Greasemonkey and have added a whole list of features to GC.com by previously made scripts. Some of those include, direct logging button on cache listings when not on the page, showing all logs posted on a certain cache in top right corner and a number of other things. Why can't one be made to search archived caches?

Oh, and to answer Arndtwe's question, a script can only modify and/or move around the information that is already on a web page. It can't query the database to get information that is otherwise unavailable.

I didn't post the links for these so I'm not stepping on GS's current policy of hiding archived caches by making the list any easier to get to. If you have questions about any of these caches and their relevance, PM me. I'll send you a link, but won't post it here (even though that is what I really think I should do). :anicute:

You know, the solution would be for Groundspeak to lock the listings from view to anyone who is not the owner or a reviewer.

In one of your examples the log said it looked like it was on private property but since no one was around they went ahead and found it. That really shows how irresponsible cachers have become. Anything to get a smilie. The cache was probably archived for a reason and here you are offering to give others the coordinates so they too can go where they don't belong. Nice. :anicute:

I didn't post the links for these so I'm not stepping on GS's current policy of hiding archived caches by making the list any easier to get to. If you have questions about any of these caches and their relevance, PM me. I'll send you a link, but won't post it here (even though that is what I really think I should do). :D

You know, the solution would be for Groundspeak to lock the listings from view to anyone who is not the owner or a reviewer.

In one of your examples the log said it looked like it was on private property but since no one was around they went ahead and found it. That really shows how irresponsible cachers have become. Anything to get a smilie. The cache was probably archived for a reason and here you are offering to give others the coordinates so they too can go where they don't belong. Nice. :D

Um..I don't think you get the full point of why this is needed. I had viewed this thread a LONG time ago, and came back upon it today, when I was trying to figure out information about an archived cache. I had been looking at a local park for a temp cache for an event. I remember there being a cache there at one time, but it has been archived, and I have no idea WHY. The only thing I remember is its name. I want to look at the cache listing to find out why it was archived, to see if it's worth my time seeking permission.

Just because some people cheat doesn't mean everyone needing a feature is looking to exploit it for evil.

Remember, I 'm not asking for pros and cons in this thread. That's been done to death. I just want to know whether TPTB will ever bring this back!

Unfortunately, at this time the answer is "No". The archived caches will not be shown on the map for Premium or any other members. I know in '08 I said the feature would return and at the time I was being sincere. The implementation was postponed in favor of other priorities until very recently when the idea was discussed again internally.

It was decided that the liability is more than Groundspeak is willing to stomach. When a land manager is told that a cache will be archived and unavailable for good (which happens frequently, although not often very publicly) we have to be able to back up our promise. Some of you may think it's not a big deal but as a business it can be. We open ourselves up to litigation by doing otherwise.

I recognize the need by geocachers to occasionally know if a location is "safe" by inquiring of past cache history, so volunteer reviewers will continue to be able to help you with this. If you need information about archived caches you can come to them or write to contact@geocaching.com.

It could be that we find some way around this dilemma in the future and archived caches will be available again. Until that day I'm sincerely sorry we won't be able to provide this feature.

That is the post in another forum thread. Drat! I still wait for the day in which All caches weather active or not are able to be seen... for "Purely Historical" purposes of course.

The Steaks

I can't wait until they give us the archives back. I see a lot of places that I want to place a cache but I keep asking myself why isn't there one there now? Several nice cemeteries, pocket parks and such, in a city with no cache in them? The one park I know was a victim of muggles and a cache thief. But what about the few dozen other spots. I'd like to know if I'm wasting my time asking angry caretakers and park managers for permission that will never be granted. PLEASE END THE TORMENT. It'll save hours of surfing peoples profiles to find archived caches that are in my area. FREE THE ARCHIVES!!! pretty please with a nano on top. Swizzle