What camera do you use?

Harriet the Spy

I thought I'd mention that many of the topics discussed on this thread are covered on Ken Rockwell's site www.kenrockwell.com. He writes great articles on photography, cameras, etc. that even I can understand.

Actually, he is very very biased, and very good at spreading disinformation. I have recommended DPreview as a good source of information, and the Popular Photography forums, of which I am a member of. (membership is free)

I had never heard of kenrockwell.com, and I took a look.

Yes, there is plenty on that site that is amusing or even outright silly, but I wouldn't call it disinformation. On the other hand, if someone took ANYONE's opinion as gospel-truth, he would obviously be ill-informed.

I generally prefer the opinions of people who have a bias and can explain why they have it over the opinions of people who claim to be objective.

I just received a Canon Powershot A650 for an early Xmas present. I have to learn how to use it for Xmas.

Congrats!

What questions do you have?

Lots, this is the camera I am seriously looking into buying for myself. Any info good and bad would be helpful before I make my final decision. What I am looking for in my new camera is a good optical zoom, good macro. It has to have a viewfinder as I don't use the LCD screen as much as I do the viewfinder. I do like the LCD screen on the A650IS though, especially because it is covered and not out to get scratched up like the one one my previous camera. I know I don't need a 12 MP but it is nice for bringing in and cropping when you don't have as powerful of an optical zoom.

This review might help answer some questions you might have. I highly recommend NiMh rechargables for cameras that use AA batteries, as regular alkaline batteries do not last very long in digital cameras. I also recommend getting a card reader for downloading the images, as well, because it saves battery life, and if you run out of battery life while downloading images, it corrupts the images.

This review might help answer some questions you might have. I highly recommend NiMh rechargables for cameras that use AA batteries, as regular alkaline batteries do not last very long in digital cameras. I also recommend getting a card reader for downloading the images, as well, because it saves battery life, and if you run out of battery life while downloading images, it corrupts the images.

Yup, they all sound fine and dandy that is why I am looking at that camera. But...... how do the owners like it? Does it do all they say? Hurry up Greg and use it so I can know whether to buy it or not!

Edited by Patudles

I just received a Canon Powershot A650 for an early Xmas present. I have to learn how to use it for Xmas.

Congrats!

What questions do you have?

Apparently none. It's a pretty basic setup. The menu is easy to go through, the manual settings make themselves easily known on the LCD. The zoom works through the view finder, its cheaper than the G9 and compares virtually the same in features including the image stabilizer. All good things.

The con is its a little bigger and heavier than my last camera, but I'll accept that consideriing it comes with the image stabilizer which was the critical must have.

Costco has a great deal going on with an instant $50 rebate and it comes packaged with a photo printer.

In the reviews I read, there were a couple of complaints from people expecting this to be quality like DSLRs, but I think for the price point they (the users) set the expectation to high.

I know there is a noise issue if you try to go to a higher ISO with 12.1MP, but the way I look at it, most shots will be at 8.1MP which it will do nicely and if conditions are right, I'll shoot the exceptional shot at 12.1 as well. My take on it is the A650IS is capable of doing 12.1, but it is a stretch for it so you shoot accordingly.

Now, I figure this camera should last me until digital PnS reaches 20MP.

For the shots I take, I'm going to have to upgrade to a 2GB card.

Now to learn how to use it with gloved hands.

Edited by TotemLake

Somehow I missed this!

And just had to say... cool..

While I'm sure it's not a recalled version of that camera (excuse me, if you speak to them, Canon says it's not 'recalled', just that there's been a 'service bulletin issued) as you just purchased it, make sure by checking here.

Yes, it's a busy, ugly page, but scroll down to the very bottom and there will be two photos and some text that might be worth your while to read.

michelle

Lots, this is the camera I am seriously looking into buying for myself. Any info good and bad would be helpful before I make my final decision. What I am looking for in my new camera is a good optical zoom, good macro. It has to have a viewfinder as I don't use the LCD screen as much as I do the viewfinder. I do like the LCD screen on the A650IS though, especially because it is covered and not out to get scratched up like the one one my previous camera. I know I don't need a 12 MP but it is nice for bringing in and cropping when you don't have as powerful of an optical zoom.

Patudles -

I've had my camera for a couple of months now and am really enjoying it. I've had another in this line (pre- 2004, an A80, maybe?) with the flip-to-close screen and it really is ideal to keep it from getting scratched as you mentioned. It's also nice if you want to move the camera around and not take photos from straight on - for instance - I have some great shots of the crowds at Bumbershoot where I held the camera over my head and can still use the screen to see exactly what's in the photo.

I used it at the girls state swim meet a couple of weekends ago and have some great stop-action shots. Girls leaving the blocks - you can see their hands as they had just released for their race. Most of those were taken with a higher-than-normal ISO (to prevent flash fire and action stoppage in lower-than-ideal lighting conditions) from the stands. The zoom, combined with the size of the photos makes for some great detail.

I've also done some fun night-shooting. We had a bonfire with people sitting at the edge in the late evening. I bumped up the ISO, made sure the flash was off, and ended up with some pretty unique photos. Yes, the noise is very visible, but... artistic license and all that.

I'm still enamored with the 'face detect' feature and always have to laugh to see just how it decides what face, or how many faces it will realize in some situations.

If you have any specific q's, ask away. You could send e as well, if you'd like.

michelle

Costco has a great deal going on with an instant $50 rebate and it comes packaged with a photo printer.

I can't find the A650 on the Costco site. What are they asking for it?

My better half got it for $350 380 at the Kirkland Costco packaged with the printer and 1GB card as well as the 32MB card. The $50 rebate kicks in at the register so it brought the price down to $300 330.

I think its one of those specials that slip in now and then.

=-=-Corrected - Sorry for the misinformation. -=-=

Edited by TotemLake

Tested the IS part of the camera today while driving on a rough part of I-5 and zoomed in 6x for effect. The below pic is reduced to 640x480 from an 8.1MP 4000x3000 format. This was a very fast point and shoot without taking the time to check focus at about 55MPH. Overall I think I'm going to be happy with this puppy. The only thing I don't like is the battery compartment door. That has room for breakage requiring you to press down aginst 4 springed batteries and then slide it back about an 1/8th of an inch to lock it in place.

IMG_0005-640x480.JPG

Bought my new A650IS at Costco today. We didn't need the printer that came with it but the price was right $339.00 after a instant rebate. And it beat waiting for one to be shipped to me at not that much of a savings. Been reading the manuel and playing with it today. Sure like it so far. We checked and we got the model after the light leakage problem so we don't have to worry about that. So far the only thing that worries me is the life of the battery and SD card door, as TotemLake mentioned. Oh yeah, it came with a 1gig card also.

Today was my day as I got my new GSPr ordered also. Can hardly wait for that to get here now.

Edited by Patudles

I use a mamiya RB67 or an Omega 4X5 monorail....<------film nerd joke

:anicute:

I have worked with a Calumet 4x5 in high school, and have thought about purchasing a 4x5, but they are too expensive for a college student, plus I would need a 4x5 enlarger which is also expensive. I have also considered getting a 6x4.5 setup, but my 35mm and digital gear has priority. I still shoot film and I also maintain my own darkroom.

I'm impressed with the video capability of the camera.

I'd show it except 23 seconds of penny chasing after the snow flakes produced a 42MB file in 640x480. Suffice to say it was a very smooth video and very sharp in detail.

Yeah, video is one of the nice abilities of most recent point and shoots.

Now I have done it... I have been thinking about getting a new camera, but now its been forced upon me! The flash on my camera has quit working... just in time for the kids to be opening their presents on Christmas. While I am happy to be getting a new camera, I wish I had more time to save for a really cool one, instead of a getting one that I can afford now. I will start shopping for one tomorrow.

Just got the Olympus Stylus 770 SW ($315) - Water proof to 33m, drop proof to 1.5m on concrete and can operate in temperatures as low a 14 degrees F. Trust me when I say that this is the only camera for me....I just hope it survives more than a year. My first digital and will post pictures when I figure out the interface software. Happy Caching!

Just got the Olympus Stylus 770 SW ($315) - Water proof to 33m, drop proof to 1.5m on concrete and can operate in temperatures as low a 14 degrees F. Trust me when I say that this is the only camera for me....I just hope it survives more than a year. My first digital and will post pictures when I figure out the interface software. Happy Caching!

Just got my wife the Stylus 790SW for Christmas. Great camera!!! Stablization, Waterproof (including underwater photos), shock proof, low temps etc. Besides that, I'm partial to Olympus.

What really led me to this one is the waterproof thing. Looks like we may get a chance to test that out in the rain at the Vancouver Cache Machine this weekend. :anicute:

1314_overview_1_lg.jpg

I am currently running a Cannon Powershot A570, I purchased it because as a replacement for my Nikon Coolpix 4300. I wish my Nikon still worked but I got a great deal on the Powershot so I chose it based on price/positive reviews. However I feel the picture quality just isn't upto par with my older less megapixel Nikon.

I am currently running a Cannon Powershot A570, I purchased it because as a replacement for my Nikon Coolpix 4300. I wish my Nikon still worked but I got a great deal on the Powershot so I chose it based on price/positive reviews. However I feel the picture quality just isn't upto par with my older less megapixel Nikon.

I recently got a pretty good price on a A570IS and although I'm happy with it for the price, really starting to regret not getting something with better optical zoom.

I recently got a pretty good price on a A570IS and although I'm happy with it for the price, really starting to regret not getting something with better optical zoom.

The A650IS met my needs wonderfully. 6x optical zoom (I have the digital zoom disabled), 12.1 MP capability, great video clarity at 640x480, and the IS does great compensation for my hand shake, and with the appropriate adapter, I can interchange lens. It's a little larger than the A570, but overall, I'm very happy with it.

The A650IS met my needs wonderfully. 6x optical zoom (I have the digital zoom disabled), 12.1 MP capability, great video clarity at 640x480, and the IS does great compensation for my hand shake, and with the appropriate adapter, I can interchange lens. It's a little larger than the A570, but overall, I'm very happy with it.

I went with the A570IS over the A650 and A720 because of price. The cameras compared pretty closely especially as I wasn't concerned about more MP beyond what the A570IS offered. The big difference and point where I wish I had gone for more is the zoom. 570 has a mere 4x, believe 650 and 720 both have 6x. Even 6x seems a little light to me.

I have to admit, I was surprised about the video ability of the Powershot models. Videos made sitting about the living room, at least, turn out surprisingly good.

One really nice, but currently out of financial reach, thing about the A570 and probably all of the Powershot models is there is a waterproof case available that gets great reviews. Being out hiking about every weekend, I'm really looking forward to getting one of these before next winter as I've been afraid to break out the camera on more than one occasion while out in the rain.

I am going through this right now. I got a Nikon s9 last year but am disappointed with the image quality. Wanting higher zoom and image quality (which I figure has more to do with the lense size than the pixels in the nikon) I am looking at the Canon powershot 720IS, and the PowerShot SX100 IS.

I am going through this right now. I got a Nikon s9 last year but am disappointed with the image quality. Wanting higher zoom and image quality (which I figure has more to do with the lense size than the pixels in the nikon) I am looking at the Canon powershot 720IS, and the PowerShot SX100 IS.

720IS over the SX100IS, for sure.

Is there a big price difference?

How does the size compare to the A650IS? I quite like that one and the flexibility it offers.

michelle

720IS over the SX100IS, for sure.

Is there a big price difference?

How does the size compare to the A650IS? I quite like that one and the flexibility it offers.

michelle

Yes there is a good price difference. The SX100 is about $235 (on sale right now at staples for $199 while they last, and the 720is is (I forget) about $180 I think. I just handled the sx100. It is much bulkier, has a nice bright LCD but no viewfinder. Great zoom (10X), great programing interface, but still feels plasticy. I'm thinking it will give better control over your shots but it is a bit bulky and no viewfinder. I'll probably go for the A720is.

Amazon: SX100 = $243, 720 = $193

Edited by EraSeek

For those of you still trying to decide, Costco has a limited time deal on the Canon A570 IS for $149 which includes a 1GB card. It ends 2/29/2008 while supplies last.

My daughter has the camera and is very happy with it.

Thanks for the heads-up. I just ordered the Canon A570 from Costco. I have been wanting a compact camera for some time. I have two high end Sony cameras that are really too big to handle when geocaching. I wonder if I will ever fill the 1 GB card in my lifetime.