Recording Mileage

As newbies we would like to keep a record of our mileage right from the start, it was mentioned on another thread that we can log a geocoin in and out of each cache we find. I have bought a few coins and waiting for them to be delivered, one in particular is exceptionally beautiful (and very expensive!) and I would like to use this one for the above purpose. When it arrives would it be fair to go back and log it in and out of our (measly) 7 finds so far or is that considered bad etiquette?

Edited by Team Skully

You're probably going to get people who whinge about things like this but, at the end of the day, it's up to you. It seems like a good way of keeping a record the way you want to do it although mileage statistics are available on various sites. Go for it, I say. Logging it in and out means that no-one'll be expecting to actually find it in a cache so no harm done.

Nah, its fine to do that. Just do it by doing a note and saying that your booking your coin in and out for mileage.

You can also delete the note so its not on the page if you wish.

Something else you might think about is, unless there is a big difference in miles I just log it in one cache per day out caching. This save's doing it over and over.

Edited by Deego

Linky good ness

http://gsak.net/

http://itsnotaboutthenumbers.com/

http://www.fizzymagic.net/Geocaching/FindStats/index.html

The my finds pq can be found at the bottom of this page provided you are logged in.

http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

And some stuff on our webpage.

http://markandlynn.croaghan.com/index.html

From its not about the numbers we get (with no need for a personal TB)

Approximate cache-to-cache distance: 8614.88 miles (13864.3 kilometres) (Excludes locationless and known traveling caches)

Edited by markandlynn

I have a travel bug that I use(d) for recording my mileage. I only started using it this year and thought about going back through my history and logging it into every cache I'd done. However, with over 1000 logs to alter I decided against it and started using the travel bug on my 100th caching trip. I'm sure nobody would mind if you posted 7 notes to update your mileage :(

Unfortunately it is a "pain in the proverbial" to log it in and out of every cache (especially when the sites busy/slow/dead). I wish I'd thought of Deego's idea of one cache per trip.

The other thing to remember is that it's pretty much a waste of time :(, as the mileage is calculated in straight lines (as the crow-flies) and doesn't take into account roads and getting lost etc. :). If you want a really accurate mileage record, just make a note of the mileage on your car (if you use one) before and after every trip or use your GPSr to record a track-log.

My advice would be to not bother, you'll be spending longer in front of the computer and less time out caching :D

I have a travel bug that I use(d) for recording my mileage. I only started using it this year and thought about going back through my history and logging it into every cache I'd done. However, with over 1000 logs to alter I decided against it and started using the travel bug on my 100th caching trip. I'm sure nobody would mind if you posted 7 notes to update your mileage :(

Unfortunately it is a "pain in the proverbial" to log it in and out of every cache (especially when the sites busy/slow/dead). I wish I'd thought of Deego's idea of one cache per trip.

The other thing to remember is that it's pretty much a waste of time :(, as the mileage is calculated in straight lines (as the crow-flies) and doesn't take into account roads and getting lost etc. :D. If you want a really accurate mileage record, just make a note of the mileage on your car (if you use one) before and after every trip or use your GPSr to record a track-log.

My advice would be to not bother, you'll be spending longer in front of the computer and less time out caching :)

It is very tedious, completely inaccurate and so far I'm up to 23415.6 miles and 424 caches. :)

One good thing about a personal traveler is that you can upload pictures to your logs so they will show in your gallery. Handy when you don't want to load the photo in your log on someone else's cache page.

And... To get a more accurate guide to your milage, you really need to drop the milage coin/TB into a cache near to home, between caching trips.

G

I did :( I own a nanocache less than 1/2 a mile away that I logged it in and out of to get the return journey mileage...... It was still miles off :(:):D

I did :( I own a nanocache less than 1/2 a mile away that I logged it in and out of to get the return journey mileage...... It was still miles off :(:D:)

We have an unpublished (never to be published) cache set at our home co-ords to hold our collection of geocoins which we don't intend to let loose into the world(yet). That sort of thing would make a good point to log back to after each trip...

We don't bother keeping a track of mileage - it's just a reminder of how much derv we've wasted on this hobby/habit :)

We have an unpublished (never to be published) cache set at our home co-ords to hold our collection of geocoins which we don't intend to let loose into the world(yet). That sort of thing would make a good point to log back to after each trip..

Would the mileage be calculated on an unpublished cache? :(

.....it's just a reminder of how much derv we've wasted on this hobby/habit :D

It's never a waste if you've enjoyed yourself :mad::huh:

I have a personal coin that I log in and out of every cache I do, I also copy the log for the cache and past it into the log for the tb and whenever I meet another cacher I let them discover it. So I have a list of all my logs and all the eople I've met all in one easy page :D . The only trouble is it is a geonut coin from when i was "the nutters" doesn't seem aplicable now, anyone know of a nice Tiger coin ;)