geocoin pics

NightShift79

i am looking into getting my first geocoin and after checking out the homepages of geocoins owned by other cachers, i've noticed that no one that i saw (at least in my search) posted a picture of their coin. with travel bugs, there is almost always a picture on their homepage, but can you do the same for a geocoin? are you not supposed to? is there a reason why?

We are pretty new to collecting geocoins so I've made a point to try and put pictures of coins on all our activated coins in our collection as we get them. I have also put on each coin page where you can get the coins activated which will help others know how to activate them. You can send me a friend request if you like and I will send one to you and you can check out our coins as we get them and see where to activate them in case you get some of the same. I think most collectors at this point have a huge amount of coins and it would take them forever to load their pictures for them now. I decided to do this with first coins we got and been doing it ever since.

EDIT: I don't see a friend request on your profile page. I think the friend request are for premium memberships. Oh well, you can still check out our profile from time to time to see if we have a coin you are getting.

Edited by Nochipra

If you want a photo on your coin page, then you, as the owner, put the photo on your coin page. You must have hit an odd batch of coin pages, because most of the ones I looked at have had photos. It's up to the owner to post a photo, and if you've ever scanned through the TB forums, you'll soon realize that not everyone knows how to do it. But they have asked and been answered.

It's up to the owner to post a photo, and if you've ever scanned through the TB forums, you'll soon realize that not everyone knows how to do it.

Perhaps this could be taken as a wake-up call for documentation and instructions to be added to the GC.com website

I enjoy posting pics of my travelling coins. The second best part to activating a coin is being able to take it's pic, PhotoShop it a bit to get rid of the background and stuff, then uploading it to the coin page. Not only does it make the coin's page more interesting but it also helps finders to remember what coin it was when they go to log their drop or when all they have is a tracking #.

It's up to the owner to post a photo, and if you've ever scanned through the TB forums, you'll soon realize that not everyone knows how to do it.

Perhaps this could be taken as a wake-up call for documentation and instructions to be added to the GC.com website

Not that that really helps.... there will always be those who prefer to ask someone how to do something than read the instructions on how to do it.

Whenever I activate coins, I'm usually exited to add pictures and descriptions to their pages. For example, see my Bee-Ware geocoin. I especially like reading the logs on that coin. Not all of my coin pages are so fancy, but I try to improve and add to them whenever I can. I really like it when I see a coin/tb page that the owner has worked hark on, pictures are always good too.

I haven't found the time to put pictures on the pages of all the coins I have activated, but I have uploaded pics of almost all coins that I have put in caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1280321

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1359518

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1280676

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1358807

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=494195

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1028327

I am planning to add pictures to all of my activated coins, but I don't know if I will ever find the time to do it... :)

thanks for all your responses. as eartha said, i must have hit an odd batch of coins to have only gotten ones with no pics. once i get my coin (this will be my first one) i'm definately adding a pic. i was just concerned that - because i hadnt seen any pics on the pages i saw - it wasnt something that was normally done and i didnt want to do something i wasnt supposed to do.

thanks again!

I haven't found the time to put pictures on the pages of all the coins I have activated, but I have uploaded pics of almost all coins that I have put in caches

Not placing a picture of ones own geocoin on its page is something that really doesn't settle well with Cap'n YB. It is either ignorance or laziness that keeps people from uploading their geocoin images. When he visits a geocoin page Cap'n YB thinks that the visual of the geocoin makes the page so much more interesting. To help, Cap'n YB always takes a picture of every geocoin he physically grabs and moves to other caches and post it with his geocoin log.

As a matter of principle, Cap'n YB does not discover geocoins. He has turned down opportunities to discover several rare geocoins. He views the behavior of icon collectors similar to those of small children who collect stickers in albums. In fact Cap'n YB will delete "discover" logs on geocoins he owns..

I haven't found the time to put pictures on the pages of all the coins I have activated, but I have uploaded pics of almost all coins that I have put in caches

Not placing a picture of ones own geocoin on its page is something that really doesn't settle well with Cap'n YB. It is either ignorance or laziness that keeps people from uploading their geocoin images. When he visits a geocoin page Cap'n YB thinks that the visual of the geocoin makes the page so much more interesting. To help, Cap'n YB always takes a picture of every geocoin he physically grabs and moves to other caches and post it with his geocoin log.

As a matter of principle, Cap'n YB does not discover geocoins. He has turned down opportunities to discover several rare geocoins. He views the behavior of icon collectors similar to those of small children who collect stickers in albums. In fact Cap'n YB will delete "discover" logs on geocoins he owns..

I plead guilty to ignorance Not to the lazy part :)

Cap'n YB will attempt to supply a very simplified tutorial:

1. A little knowledge of html is beneficial.
  2. If none, find a geocoin page with a pic and in from the menubar select View / Source.
  3. This will expose the html language used to create the webpage.
  4. From there you can locate the html string related to the geocoin picture.
  5. Copy this string and replace the existing geocoin image URL with your geocoin image URL.
  6. Copy the revised html string and past into your geocoin page.
  7. Save and refresh.

Edited by Cap'n YB

To help, Cap'n YB always takes a picture of every geocoin he physically grabs and moves to other caches and post it with his geocoin log.

i think thats a really good idea! i will start doing that as well. that way you have a visual record of each coin you have come across.

i also agree with a lot of you when you say that a picture makes a page more interesting. i had every intention of posting one for my first (and every one after that) coin, but as i said, i just wasnt sure if that was something people did.