Distance to home coordinates in NEW chaches list

WWG

Hi all,

In the netherlands there is this option on the home page to show ALL new chaches in the netherlands. I really like this list. The only thing that would make this list totaly perfect is to have a column added to it with the distance to home coordiantes.

That way it would be very easy to the user to see if the new caches is close to home ;-)

This is the link to the list.

Thanks for your replies

As a premium member, this function exists but not where you would expect it. As a premium member, you can do this better with Pocket Queries.

I think the best way to find this information would be to set up a query that was within your regular caching distance from a set of coordiantes, for example 100 km. I am not sure if I lived in Groningen that I would care about a new cache that is 200km away in Rotterdam.

Then set the criteria on the query to only show the caches placed within the last week.

When you preview the pocket query results, you will have a list of caches that are within 100 km of your home that have been placed within the last 7 days. They will also be sorted by distance from the center and give you the distance and bearing from the center.

You can either click the preview the pocket query any time and get the results, or have the results e-mailed directly to you once a day (or once a week).

:) I've been told that most search results are not what's called "Location Based" so a distance will not be generated on those results.

:) I think ALL searches for ALL caches which are, after all, points somewhere on Earth with Coordinates ARE Location Based so I think ALL search pages should show distances and directions. And that includes looking at someone elses profile for their finds...

:) Can this be one thing that V.2 will do to help this sport along?

:) I've been told that most search results are not what's called "Location Based" so a distance will not be generated on those results.

:) I think ALL searches for ALL caches which are, after all, points somewhere on Earth with Coordinates ARE Location Based so I think ALL search pages should show distances and directions. And that includes looking at someone elses profile for their finds...

:) Can this be one thing that V.2 will do to help this sport along?

Seems like we're in agreement if you look at this post.

Yes, I know that post.

I'm not suggesting that all caches be sorted by distance. I'm suggesting that all distances be displayed and let the human mind and eye do the processing.

Edited to add:

I know that the info is there, but who wants to click \each and every one of 20 caches on a search results page to see, oh this one is 68 miles north west, that one is 109 miles south, this one is 345 miles west...

Those are some examples of events in 'New York' from where I live returned by a search for events in the state of New York in the country of USA. And the last time I looked there were 38 events in that state, some of which I would think about going to if I knew just how close it was.

Edited by trainlove

Hi as a premiun member you can set up notifications which emails as soon as a new cache is listed within the guidlines you request EG. 80km from home co-ords, new listing only, trad, size or how ever you wish.

This email tells direction and distance and provides link to cache page for quick access to info.

If you are after FTF this is a great way to get ahead as the email usally comes a few minutes before it is showen on wed site.

"Instanotify" Notification Service

The Notification system is currently active .

The Geocaching Instanotify service is a Groundspeak Premium Member feature. As new logs are posted to Geocaching.com you can get an instant email sent to you with the contents of that log entry. The Instanotify feature is now out of beta but is still not yet approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

New Notification Traditional Cache [edit]

Log type(s): Publish Listing, Enable Listing

Enabled subscriptions are checked. Click checkbox to toggle status.

Create a new notification