can't "scroll" maps

geojeffie

I can't claim credit for noticing it, but this is easily reproducible. If zoomed out a decent amount in a cache-dense area, all the clusters are at the bottom of the map and the middle/top are empty.

Also, if you twitch the map a little bit (just enough to trigger a refresh), all the clusters jump around.

I had the same thing happen to me. It looks like this is a work in progress, but I think it has potential.

I noticed today that when I move around in the map, it leaves up the list of caches it originally found (when they're no longer viewed on the map) and hitting refresh doesn't clear it. The blue line that bordered the previous view also won't go away. Anyone else getting this?

Same problem as everyone else but I'm so frustrated with these maps I have to vent. I agree, give us the old mapping back!!!!! :huh: I've been trying to print out a map but I only get a portion of the map on the printout. There is no button to make the map printer friendly. I also noticed that the topo maps can not be made printer friendly anymore. That's probably not a gc.com problem but I just want to print a map with all the caches in a particular area and I just can't do it. I'm very surprised by the lack of response from the power that be.

As noted before IE XP latest of both and norton with auto firewall was having the same problem as

everybody. Have not changed anything and now all seens to be working fine.

Will keep watching this tread to see what happens.

Well here we are and all of a sudden I've got Mapping problems again.

Went away for 2 weeks system not touched in that time.( so nothing has been changed here).

When I got to maps I get a WIE Message:-

EO.Web Controls Client Side Debug Message:

An error occurred while appling to new output.

Error message:'cc.length' is null or not an object.

You can turn off this message by setting EO.Web.Runtime.Debug to 0 (not recommended for debug build).

Click on OK and it just keeps

PARSING GEOCACHES

I turned off Norton and tried. The amps sooming and moving lasted longer, but the hangup/parsing still happened eventually (after 5 minutes instead of 1.5). I also received the error message. I'm hoping for a fix for that so I don't have to figure it out.

I liked the idea of the 10+, but probably related to the above issue, when I clicked on them, I couldn't zoom or open the 10+. Again, I'm hoping for a fix or change.

The Google Earth caching was cool, but I'd like a map where it can see which I've completed and/or without completed caches.

The JABs have now tried using Firefox too only to get this message.

The page at http://www.geocaching.com says:

An error occoured while applying the new output.Error message: jsonData.cc has no properties

You can turn off this message by setting EO.Web.Runtime.Debug to 0 (not recommended for debug build).

You click out off message and you get nothing. Not even a blank map page.The dots just keep going around as if they are searching.

I can't claim credit for noticing it, but this is easily reproducible. If zoomed out a decent amount in a cache-dense area, all the clusters are at the bottom of the map and the middle/top are empty.

Also, if you twitch the map a little bit (just enough to trigger a refresh), all the clusters jump around.

I think that only performing a refresh at the users request would be a great improvment. Also, having zero cache types checked when you first enter the google map page would be nice. Kinda like floorboarding the accelerator at every intersection.

I think that only performing a refresh at the users request would be a great improvment. Also, having zero cache types checked when you first enter the google map page would be nice. Kinda like floorboarding the accelerator at every intersection.

I like this idea. Sometimes you just want to move the map around a little to maybe follow a road somewhere and every twitch causes it to refresh the data. I think the option to refresh when you really want to see the caches in the area is a great time saving and server load saving idea.

Have just developed the same problem. Using XP & IE 7 all was going well, but just in last 3 days this problem has developed. Being new to the whole activity, I find it very frustrating. B) Surely there is a fix out there that can be used?

An error occoured while applying the new output.Error message: jsonData.cc has no properties

Must be a base website problem.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:huh:;):):D:D:D:D:D:D:D

xshooter

Sorry - but it's not working for me... I'm getting a "cc length is null" message now!

An error occoured while applying the new output. Error message: 'cc.length' is null or not an object.

:D:huh::D;):D:)

MW

Edited by Merry Wheeler

Sorry - but it's not working for me... I'm getting a "cc length is null" message now!

An error occoured while applying the new output. Error message: 'cc.length' is null or not an object.

:o:P:PB):D:D

MW

Can you give me the lat/lon for the area you're looking at?

-Raine

Again, not a computer expert, but... If you have the problem, you are probably using IE, XP, and Norton. There also seemed to be a problem with Vista. Norton really seems to be the problem here. Norton 360 is not the only antivirus software suite out there. There seem to be a wide selection of others that do the same job. Norton just seems to come installed or is promoted when we buy new computers, so we go ahead and use it. It's available everywhere software is sold. Think about those piles of Norton boxes at Costco and other stores. Most of you using Norton are probably somewhere within your paid up year's subscription. You will eventually be reminded to renew that subcription. I'm certainly not advocating just deleting it, but when it's time to renew the subscription, do some research on what else is out there. I don't feel that the map problem is neccessarily Groundspeak's problem to fix because it only affects a few of us members that have a particuler software configuration. Just changing browsers to Firefox or Netscape can help if you must keep Norton. Take action. You can't easily change your operating system, but you might be able to change antivirus software or browser.

Is Groundspeak going to pay for a new anti-virus program for all my computers. This is ridiculous, just bought a new computer with Vista (hate it) and IE 7.0. Still does not work!! Turned off Norton (my new computer is now at risk) and still 'requesting geocaches'. Maybe someone could start another geocaching website. Seems like its about time for some competition.

thesandman

Again, not a computer expert, but... If you have the problem, you are probably using IE, XP, and Norton. There also seemed to be a problem with Vista. Norton really seems to be the problem here. Norton 360 is not the only antivirus software suite out there. There seem to be a wide selection of others that do the same job. Norton just seems to come installed or is promoted when we buy new computers, so we go ahead and use it. It's available everywhere software is sold. Think about those piles of Norton boxes at Costco and other stores. Most of you using Norton are probably somewhere within your paid up year's subscription. You will eventually be reminded to renew that subcription. I'm certainly not advocating just deleting it, but when it's time to renew the subscription, do some research on what else is out there. I don't feel that the map problem is neccessarily Groundspeak's problem to fix because it only affects a few of us members that have a particuler software configuration. Just changing browsers to Firefox or Netscape can help if you must keep Norton. Take action. You can't easily change your operating system, but you might be able to change antivirus software or browser.

Is Groundspeak going to pay for a new anti-virus program for all my computers. This is ridiculous, just bought a new computer with Vista (hate it) and IE 7.0. Still does not work!! Turned off Norton (my new computer is now at risk) and still 'requesting geocaches'. Maybe someone could start another geocaching website. Seems like its about time for some competition.

thesandman

Correction, just turned off Norton Firewall. Still not happy that I have to 'unprotect' my computer to get my caches. Do not the programmers at Groundspeak know that most people use Norton?? Making their software incompatabile with Norton is like making a car that does not run on gasoline, just doesn't make sense!

thesandman

thesandman

Correction, just turned off Norton Firewall. Still not happy that I have to 'unprotect' my computer to get my caches. Do not the programmers at Groundspeak know that most people use Norton?? Making their software incompatabile with Norton is like making a car that does not run on gasoline, just doesn't make sense!

thesandman

Update:

Just tried this (turning off Norton Firewall) with my laptop and no luck. So it's definately NOT JUST Norton!!! My Laptop has XP and IE 6.0, my desktop Vista, and IE 7.0. If Groundspeak does not fix this I will not be renewing my PREMIUM membership! Perhaps if they start to lose money they will fix this or at least bring back the old maps as an option.

Edited by thesandman

Nope! Still doesn't work. I complained earlier in this forum about the maps not working. I found Firefox and gave up on I.E. and Geocaching.com. Firefox works well (at least p until now). I stopped complaining and stopped reaading this thread because it seemed it was in vain. I thought I would go back today and see if there was any progress made, and I read some promising comments here today. So, I went back to I.E. and lo and behold, nothing has changed. The maps still scroll as if they have to get to Mars today.

I am using I.E. on Windows XP, and have Nortin anti virus installed. Soooooo........... back to Firefox!

I take back the part about the maps working fine on my new system after turning off Norton firewall. It seemed to work for an hour or two then quit. No I did NOT turn Norton Firewall back on, despite Norton's constant message that my computer was UNPROTECTED. I did find out that if I find a cache in the area I want to cache in I can do a pocket query and display the results all on one map. Guess I will just have to hobble by that way for now. I sure do miss being able to scroll though :-( that was why I paid for the premium membership.

I take back the part about the maps working fine on my new system after turning off Norton firewall. It seemed to work for an hour or two then quit. No I did NOT turn Norton Firewall back on, despite Norton's constant message that my computer was UNPROTECTED. I did find out that if I find a cache in the area I want to cache in I can do a pocket query and display the results all on one map. Guess I will just have to hobble by that way for now. I sure do miss being able to scroll though :-( that was why I paid for the premium membership.

For a while I felt the same as the other posters. I used Internet Explorer and Norton, and the maps wouldn't work. Why can't they fix it, etc, etc.

So I finally got tired of not being able to use maps and decided to try Firefox. That browser is great! The installation was a breeze, and it even imported my IE bookmarks. The multiple tab feature is fantastic; no longer need multiple instances of IE all open at the same time. And the pop-up blocking seems better on Firefox than on IE.

Try Firefox. You'll get the maps back, and won't have to spend time complaining about the maps not working. :laughing:

Well, after much frustration, and the promise of a new computer soon :laughing::o:D , I uploaded Foxfire. The map works great; no problems so far. I am still running Norton in it's full capacity. With Foxfire, the searching seems faster. I'll switch back and forth when I need to view pages better with IE. So for now, problem solved.

I've not read through this entire thread, but some of the posts I see are similar to another topic in the forum. (forum title='Error with maps EO. Web Runtime Debug Level to 0')

Here is a fix that has worked for me having issues with google Maps and inability to refreshing the cache list or move the map location:

For me, turning OFF the Phishing Filter in Norton Internet Security Suite worked. It's fairly easy to turn this off while on the site then back on for general browsing. I have not found a way to specify 'safe' sites in this phishing monitor yet to be able to exclude Geocaching.com from the scanned sites.

ralph