can't "scroll" maps

geojeffie

I have posted my specifications on 3 different computers and never got a response from GC..

My simple question that HAS NOT BEEN ANSWERED is this...... Why can't we have the original GC.com maps back? Give us an option to use the standard maps or google if anyone chooses.

I'm going to go out on a limb here. Since angry villagers haven't shown up at Groundspeak HQ with hay forks and torches demanding the old maps, it won't happen. If a majority of users can navigate the new maps problem free, why switch back to placate a few with problems?

Now, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't fix the issue, but they must feel that there's no valid reason to revert to the old maps or maintain a dozen different map intefaces (all with hooks into the database) while the last few kinks are worked out. As one of the users with problems with the maps, I think that sucks. As an IT systems guy, I see the value in their position.

Dell Dimension 8400 Windows XP Pro SP1, IE 6.

I am getting NOTHING, just a blank map, no roads, no caches, nothing...just the map border.

Is this something new today? I think they worked for me before, albeit poorly.

I tried firefox as well (version 2.0.0.9) - same thing...totally blank.

I wish we could just get the old maps back. I am using dial-up half the time and these new maps take forever to load (they aren't working with broadband either though). I miss the option to look for archived caches.

Edited by trowel32

As I reported earlier the maps do not work for me in IE but do in Firefox. The workaround mentioned above still did not allow me to scroll when using IE.

Do NOT revert to the old maps. But please DO recognize that there is a problem for maybe a couple more people than 1% of the users and fix the NEW maps. Thank you.

I have posted my specifications on 3 different computers and never got a response from GC..

My simple question that HAS NOT BEEN ANSWERED is this...... Why can't we have the original GC.com maps back? Give us an option to use the standard maps or google if anyone chooses.

I wouldn't expect you to know everything that has been said in these forums, but I did address this question when the new maps were first introduced. I would suggest a good way of keep up to date would be to follow my forum posts.

Also, I only mentioned that the majority are not experiencing these errors to illustrate how difficult it is to reproduce and then fix whatever is causing this. We will take seriously any issue regardless of the number of people it affects.

Also, I only mentioned that the majority are not experiencing these errors to illustrate how difficult it is to reproduce and then fix whatever is causing this. We will take seriously any issue regardless of the number of people it affects.

I can understand how difficult this can be when you can't duplicate it yet on your end. Good luck and thanks for keeping at it! The new maps are great, I just wish they would work for everybody.

I am really getting tired of this problem!! It's been around now for several weeks and has halted my caching. I would like an acknowledgment by GS that the problem exists and there is some hope of solving it. :)

You've seen Nate posting right? They've clearly said they know the problem exists...and they're doing their best to solve it, but it's been hard to recreate...thus, hard to devise a solution.

As I've mentioned I've continued to have the scrolling/parsing problem with IE , Windows XP.

Today I tried another experiment.

In Norton Internet Security 2007 under Basic Securty settings I turned off "Auto-protect" and the maps worked fine. This is not something I would normally want to do, but it may help narrow down the issue if others are using a similar antivirus/firewall suite.

As I've mentioned I've continued to have the scrolling/parsing problem with IE , Windows XP.

Today I tried another experiment.

In Norton Internet Security 2007 under Basic Securty settings I turned off "Auto-protect" and the maps worked fine. This is not something I would normally want to do, but it may help narrow down the issue if others are using a similar antivirus/firewall suite.

If would be great if some of you could validate Cheech's find. Is everyone using a firewall?

I am using IE6 working on XP on both machines. Does not make sense that it works fine on one and is screwed up on the other. Again, the only difference for me is the work pc is using McAffee security and I recently updated to Norton 360 at home. It does have a firewall turned on. I did test it last night with the firewall disabled, it did not change anything.

Kind of glad to see that I am not alone on this, in that it is not something I did. It is driving me crazy. Hope they can get this fixed soon!!

Edited by Team Rumble

I was very concerned when I turned off my auto detect on semantec. Then I quickly tried to use the maps and it still panned too fast and also did that annoying "parsing caches" thing. Then I quickly turned back on my auto detect. I hope someone can soon find a solution.

Maby someone in Seattle who is having that problem on a laptop can contact Opinionated and show him what is going on???????

Thanks to everyone for their concern.

KoosKoos mentioned a few days ago that they weren't experiencing any problems and suggested maybe it is the individual member's computers might be having the problems. I am using two computers, one with I.E. on XP, and the other with I.E. on XP pro. and both are exibiting the same symptoms and problems. Other forums might suggest it has something to do with the Google Earth and .kml files. One of my machines has Goole Earth on it and the other doesn't, yet, both exibit the same problem. I suspect that when the upgrades are done, probably many in the last few days by now, that some of the servers at GC are not accepting the new updates, or at least are getting corrupt updates.

Further to this, since I am not seeing any resolve or admission to the existence of this problem; I contacted Geocaching.com General Inquiries at: contact@geocaching.com prior to viewing the FORUMS. The reply I got was a thank you, and that I should post any concerns or problems I am experiencing to the Web Site forum. My concerns addressed in the e-mail were given a ticket ID #, and was dealt with by the Geocaching department. It was rated as a low priority, and that the ticket is now closed.

In light of what is happening, my geocaching experience is slowly coming to an end, because I am spending more and more time on the computer, manually finding caches one at a time, instead of being out in the open air finding them. I am a basic member, I don't know if being a premium member would help.

Becoming a premium member will not help, there are a number of us that are experiencing the same problem. I just got a reply from Groundspeak to check out this forum for a solution to my problem. This is where I started. They have no clue as to what is causing this.

KoosKoos mentioned a few days ago that they weren't experiencing any problems and suggested maybe it is the individual member's computers might be having the problems. I am using two computers, one with I.E. on XP, and the other with I.E. on XP pro. and both are exibiting the same symptoms and problems. Other forums might suggest it has something to do with the Google Earth and .kml files. One of my machines has Goole Earth on it and the other doesn't, yet, both exibit the same problem. I suspect that when the upgrades are done, probably many in the last few days by now, that some of the servers at GC are not accepting the new updates, or at least are getting corrupt updates.

Further to this, since I am not seeing any resolve or admission to the existence of this problem; I contacted Geocaching.com General Inquiries at: contact@geocaching.com prior to viewing the FORUMS. The reply I got was a thank you, and that I should post any concerns or problems I am experiencing to the Web Site forum. My concerns addressed in the e-mail were given a ticket ID #, and was dealt with by the Geocaching department. It was rated as a low priority, and that the ticket is now closed.

In light of what is happening, my geocaching experience is slowly coming to an end, because I am spending more and more time on the computer, manually finding caches one at a time, instead of being out in the open air finding them. I am a basic member, I don't know if being a premium member would help.

Becoming a premium member will not help, there are a number of us that are experiencing the same problem. I just got a reply from Groundspeak to check out this forum for a solution to my problem. This is where I started. They have no clue as to what is causing this.

Would you mind sharing that solution? Thanks.

So I continue to have problems with these stupid Google maps and would love to hear the real reason it was switched. Even Microsoft doesn't release updates that are this bad.

So here is the latest problems now:

1. when looking at a google map, "grabbing" it with the hand icon and moving the map, It scrolls really fast and zips way farther than you want.

2. When moving the map as described above, the purple square doesn't show up where you move it, no new caches show up, and it says it is "parsing geocaches" whatever that means. Then it crashes.

These two problems were not there when you first launched the site.

3. Google maps continues to crash my browser.

Operating system: Windows XP service pack 2

Browser: IE version 7.0.57 . . . .

New maps suck.

Months back we did some trip planning by going into google maps through gc.com and simply kept scrolling over along our route and caches automatically popped up.

Now when we try to do the same thing - it doesn't refresh automatically like it used to.

Just thought I'd add my issue to the thread in case the Groundspeak folks are monitoring it.

firefox, xp, latest of both, maps very frustrating.

Used to be I could zoom out and move to a new area easily. Now, nope. What I see is that there's something about the loading of the caches that's bogging it down. If I could just make it STOP loading caches, I could get happy. Then I could back out, move to a new area, zoom in a bit and find caches again. But once it starts trying to load caches that I may not even want to see? You have to wait til it gives up and says it can't be done (too many caches) well Doh, I knew that and I didn't even want to look at them all! :(

If I zoom in and just see a small area with a few caches at a time, that works.

Maybe I should just tell local cachers to stop putting out new caches. :D:D They are making it tough for me to use the map!

firefox, xp, latest of both, maps very frustrating.

What I see is that there's something about the loading of the caches that's bogging it down. If I could just make it STOP loading caches, I could get happy..................... You have to wait til it gives up and says it can't be done (too many caches) well Doh, I knew that and I didn't even want to look at them all! :(

I agree. Loading and reload ALL THOSE CACHES slows things way down, While it looks good ONCE IT"S FINISHED LOADING, does it really add functionality to the system? The old style that had 20 at a time, but with all the rest just a click or 2 away, was more functional and was faster. It wasn't bogged down by loading a ton of caches every time .

BTW ---

firefox and xp at home and work.

Maps slow and balky.

A little while back (a week ?) the maps would just stop showing caches no matter what zoom level after panning and zooming back and forth and in and out for a while. I don't really use the maps much anymore so I'm not sure if that's still a problem or not.

Good thing I only cache a few times a month.

Good morning all its 658 AM here in beautiful downtown Arden. A light bulb just went of when I was thinking about out map problem. I have IE and Symentec and also I have Netscape. In IE the map problem is there and I cant use the Google Earth Maps BUT when i switch to Netscape it works just fine. So here is my question for those of you who know things. In the Options feature of IE on the advanced tab there are quite a few checkmarks you can put in or take out. Because Im not that advanced in these things I usually leave them alone. COULD ONE OF THESE BE THE CULPRIT.?????

Regarding the google maps.

I believe that it would help immensly if the "requesting geocaches" function were completely manual in nature requiring the user to make a mouse click. It seems as though even when using the "zoom to address" that inevtably you need to immediately zoom in or out to see the area in question or you click the little right hand arrow to widen the view and so on. Each of these actions causes the "requesting geocaches" to kick in and then the up to several minute wait starts for the caches to appear. The browser is effectively locked during this time even to the point that the Windows operating system detects the "not responding" condition and displays that in the window title. However if you wait long enough, the screen refreshes and there are the caches. Then if you make virtually any movement other than the left, right, up, down clicks in the upper left corner, the "requesting geocaches" starts all over again. It can be a losing battle.

I posted really early on this topic. Normally i use I.E. and XP. The maps don't work with this combination. I might add after reading the last posts that I also use Norton. I also have Firefox loaded. When I need a map I bring up Firefox and use that successfully. My computer seems to be able to switch to the the other browser just fine. I would use Firefox if it wern't for the extensive list of Favorites I have on I.E. already. If I could only export them easily...

Edited by tearmom

I posted really early on this topic. Normally i use I.E. and XP. The maps don't work with this combination. I might add after reading the last posts that I also use Norton. I also have Firefox loaded. When I need a map I bring up Firefox and use that successfully. My computer seems to be able to switch to the the other browser just fine. I would use Firefox if it wern't for the extensive list of Favorites I have on I.E. already. If I could only export them easily...

I hope that you are kidding wrt that export comment......

The maps work great for me. I only use XP with Firefox and IE but I don't have any issues but I also have good bandwidth. I really like the way the map works now. You can now fetch a PQ of your view (coords of PQ are the center of the view) which is really handy. I also really like the Google Map preview in the PQ! These maps are way better now! Thanks guys!

I hope that you are kidding wrt that export comment......

If only those people would click on the File menu to reveal the magic "Import" word....

.......... I also really like the Google Map preview in the PQ! .........

Didn't it do that before?

They were gone for a period of time during the transition to the new maps. I just noticed that they were back.

So they really don't do anything better than the old maps when they were fully functional. Other than show a poopload of caches at a time thus slowing things down. JMO

They were gone for a period of time during the transition to the new maps. I just noticed that they were back.

So they really don't do anything better than the old maps when they were fully functional. Other than show a poopload of caches at a time thus slowing things down. JMO

The new maps are way better. The old maps didn't have satellite views. Panning was really slow. Now you can click and drag to move around.

In Firefox, you can Import your Favorites from I.E. :ph34r: Look under File/Import.

In Firefox, you can Import your Favorites from I.E. :ph34r: Look under File/Import.

I wish I had said that.... :ph34r:

If only those people would click on the File menu to reveal the magic "Import" word....

The new maps are way better. The old maps didn't have satellite views. Panning was really slow. Now you can click and drag to move around.

HUH??!!

They did have sat views, you could click and drag just like you can now except they would display the caches right away and as far as panning goes, I couldn't tell you for sure because I would just click and drag my way all over the the place with little or no problems locking up.

The old maps did all that stuff and you could build and maintain an extensive bookmark list.

Oh, BTW TrailGators, I'm not trying to get you mad, it's just that I really have some strong opinions about these new maps. I really think they are a step backwards. And until I'm able to use the maps to check on my bookmark list, they won't be of much use to me. I used to use them A LOT, but now between not showing bookmarks and all the lag and balkiness, they suck. Good thing I don't have time to cache much anymore.

HUH??!!

They did have sat views, you could click and drag just like you can now except they would display the caches right away and as far as panning goes, I couldn't tell you for sure because I would just click and drag my way all over the the place with little or no problems locking up.

The old maps did all that stuff and you could build and maintain an extensive bookmark list.

I'm talking about the maps that had from 2002-2006. Those maps weren't Google maps. There was no satellite view. You had to click on the left, right, top or bottom of the map to pan. The current maps have gone through several stages. Everytime I look there is something new about them. Instead of complaining why don't you just suggest a feature you'd like to see? I know that my ears shut off when someone complains but when they are nice I listen. I bet TPTB are the same way. :ph34r:
Oh, BTW TrailGators, I'm not trying to get you mad, it's just that I really have some strong opinions about these new maps. I really think they are a step backwards. And until I'm able to use the maps to check on my bookmark list, they won't be of much use to me. I used to use them A LOT, but now between not showing bookmarks and all the lag and balkiness, they suck. Good thing I don't have time to cache much anymore.

You can create a PQ of a bookmark and view it.... :ph34r:

HUH??!!

I'm talking about the maps that had from 2002-2006. Those maps weren't Google maps. There was no satellite view. You had to click on the left, right, top or bottom of the map to pan. The current maps have gone through several stages. Everytime I look there is something new about them. Instead of complaining why don't you just suggest a feature you'd like to see? I know that my ears shut off when someone complains but when they are nice I listen. I bet TPTB are the same way. :)

They had google maps. Very similar to the current.

You can create a PQ of a bookmark and view it.... :)

Yes, you can, but that doesn't help.
Care to elaborate?

I have a "to do" bookmark list of a little less than 500 caches of the areas I'm likely to visit in my daily/weekly travels.

I can get a list of caches, I can see them on the map but what I can't tell, without clicking on each cache page, is if any of the surrounding caches are on my list.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gmnearest.a...;lng=-117.47358

Half of these are on my list and half are not. To find out what's what, you either have to rebookmark everything or check each cache page.

PQs do big round circles, I don't cache in big round circles, I go to specific areas. I guess I could do elaborate caches along routes.

With bookmark lists you can pick and choose to get what you want. And you could build your list 5 mins here and 5 mins there. Now you can't do it because you'll either miss caches or spend a lot of time rechecking caches you already have on your list.

Care to elaborate?

I have a "to do" bookmark list of a little less than 500 caches of the areas I'm likely to visit in my daily/weekly travels.

I can get a list of caches, I can see them on the map but what I can't tell, without clicking on each cache page, is if any of the surrounding caches are on my list.

Half of these are on my list and half are not. To find out what's what, you either have to rebookmark everything or check each cache page.

PQs do big round circles, I don't cache in big round circles, I go to specific areas. I guess I could do elaborate caches along routes.

With bookmark lists you can pick and choose to get what you want. And you could build your list 5 mins here and 5 mins there. Now you can't do it because you'll either miss caches or spend a lot of time rechecking caches you already have on your list.

Why not just load those caches into GSAK and modify the names so they stand out? You could also load that file into Mapsource and have a file with your "to do" list and then load that into your GPS whenever you want. I do that with my solved puzzle caches. I change the names so it's obvious when I load them into my GPS.
I would use Firefox if it wern't for the extensive list of Favorites I have on I.E. already. If I could only export them easily...

Don't think "export out of IE"; think "import into Firefox": YOu can do that directly:

in Firefox, click on Bookmarks, Organize Bookmarks.

This brings up the bookmark manager.

Click on File, Import - the rest is academic...

Care to elaborate?

Why not just load those caches into GSAK and modify the names so they stand out?

That's what bugs me about this change. What used to be a couple clicks here and there is now load this and modify that. Maybe sometime when I have time, I'll try that.

Care to elaborate?

Why not just load those caches into GSAK and modify the names so they stand out?

That's what bugs me about this change. What used to be a couple clicks here and there is now load this and modify that. Maybe sometime when I have time, I'll try that.
It's actually very easy to do. Anyhow, who knows what they'll add next. Maybe bookmarks will come back....