can't "scroll" maps

geojeffie

:santa: ..I use those maps for planning my geotrips..map comes up and when I start to scroll I see the blue box..and when moved just parses and stays there..XP and IE Version 6.0.2900.2180. After mention of alternate browser..I booted an old Opera and it works fine...hmm..guess I'll use it til it's fixed or I can figure out something else.. :santa:

Still can't get mapping to work on IE or Firefox -Firefox does let us pan map around and shows symbol,

except there is no base / background so makes it very hard to work out very one is. Hope I'm not the only

one out here with this problem????? HELP PLEASE.

Take your pick

I have 3 computers (2 @ home 1 @ work)

XP IE6

XP IE7

Vista IE7

All with the same problem. Freaky!!! Please give us some helpful information about how this is being resolved! <_<

Ditto; three PCs:

XP, IE6

XP WME, IE7

XP, IE7

Can't use a map on any of them. It's ridiculous. Geocaching.com ... what are you doing about this? Where are the moderator responses on this one?

Thanks.

Adding my 2 cents to keep this at the top of the q. I haven't been able to get out caching for some time, but we are planning a long weekend at the beach. Bummer, I loved to use the mapping to find the caches I want. Some suggestions here on how to work around it have been helpful and we should be able to do that tonight. Good thing I didn't wait until Thursday morning to load my caches! This obviously is a problem. Everything was fine before the switch. Thanks.

Plase help as I drive trucks over some distance I use mapping a great dill to see what is avalible to me along a route.Current ues IE and Firefox and having trouble with both mapping IE shouts all over the place and firefox shows caches but no maps so I have to guess where the road is????????????????????????????

Hope something is going to be done about this soon.

I am also having problems with the maps. I used to use them to find all the caches in an area for our caching trips especially as we don't know the area near where we live at all. It was really useful. Now it is not worth it. We have dropped back on our caching trips because of it. I don't have the time to spend 3 hours planning a trip for just a 2 hour walk with maybe 5 caches. Having them in a list is not useful for me as I like to use the maps to see where the roads are in relation to the caches.

Please Please Please fix this problem

Also is anyone disliking the TB's maps I much prefer the whole world look to see where they have been rather than scrolling through for hours the tiny useless map

So I continue to have problems with these stupid Google maps and would love to hear the real reason it was switched. Even Microsoft doesn't release updates that are this bad.

So here is the latest problems now:

1. when looking at a google map, "grabbing" it with the hand icon and moving the map, It scrolls really fast and zips way farther than you want.

2. When moving the map as described above, the purple square doesn't show up where you move it, no new caches show up, and it says it is "parsing geocaches" whatever that means. Then it crashes.

These two problems were not there when you first launched the site.

3. Google maps continues to crash my browser.

Operating system: Windows XP service pack 2

Browser: IE version 7.0.57 . . . .

The new maps are not as good as the old.

I am also having problems with the maps. I used to use them to find all the caches in an area for our caching trips especially as we don't know the area near where we live at all. It was really useful. Now it is not worth it. We have dropped back on our caching trips because of it. I don't have the time to spend 3 hours planning a trip for just a 2 hour walk with maybe 5 caches. Having them in a list is not useful for me as I like to use the maps to see where the roads are in relation to the caches.

Please Please Please fix this problem

Also is anyone disliking the TB's maps I much prefer the whole world look to see where they have been rather than scrolling through for hours the tiny useless map

It may not be as good, but I run a Pocket Query of an area, then open Google Earth, then load the GPX file onto Google Earth and look at them there.

It gives the name of the Cache and a clickable link to the page.

Slower than the old Google map on the site, but at least it works, unlike the new map.

After some days away, I again tried to call up a map for a certain area (other than Seattle), but still have the same very annoying problem with maps going hayward when grabbing them, and then the message about parsing Geocaches showing for ever.

It can not be right that you should have to get another browser just to be able to get a map with caches in an area you plan to visit.

Either it is an error on the website, in which case it has to be corrected, or it is some setting in IE, which then should be disclosed to us all.

This is just not good, you almost lose the itch to continue with Geocaching.

After some days away, I again tried to call up a map for a certain area (other than Seattle), but still have the same very annoying problem with maps going hayward when grabbing them, and then the message about parsing Geocaches showing for ever.

It can not be right that you should have to get another browser just to be able to get a map with caches in an area you plan to visit.

Either it is an error on the website, in which case it has to be corrected, or it is some setting in IE, which then should be disclosed to us all.

This is just not good, you almost lose the itch to continue with Geocaching.

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately it seems as though you might be urinating in the ocean. As for your browser point, sadly I've seen far far too many imply that making 'improvements' to a www site that might not be compatible with IE somehow makes sense.

Good luck and hopefully things will improve soon for all users of the services of geocaching.com

Just to provide some counter balance - I'm not having any issues with Windows Vista Home on IE or Windows XP with Firefox.

Love the new maps - sorry guys.

???? I don't believe it! These maps suck!!!

Thank you for saying exactly what I've been wanting to say for a while.

According to this thread most people that have the problem are using Internet Explorer with XP. Some using IE do not have the problem.

Most people that are using Firefox have no problem.

I happen to use IE but downloaded a copy of Firefox just for when I need to use the geogoogle maps. I don't stick with Firefox ; however, because when I click Map Point it goes to the old MS Mapoint maps instead of the MS Livesearch maps that I prefer. IE takes me direct to the Livesearch maps. Cheezits.

Why can't we at least hear from Groundspeak that they recognize that there must be a problem for SOME people and they are attempting to figure it out. The response to date appears that it is being ignored, although I feel that is likely not the case

As I said in this thread:

I know that to those of you who are affected you could not care less that 99% of geocachers are not having any problems with the Google Maps, but the fact is that you are in the minority, and your problem cannot be reproduced at the moment.

I would ask that any further posts with regard to scrolling the map or never ending parsing contain the operating system and version, as well as the browser and version and type of internet connection of the computer being used. Processor speed and firewall info may be helpful as well. My hope is that once several of you have done so we may see some correlation that will help us get to the bottom of this. Thanks.

I'll start:

No problems with

OSX Leopard running Opera

XP running IE 7, IE 6, Firefox 2, Mozilla 1.7, Opera, Safari

Edited by OpinioNate

Sooo....99% of the users aren't having problems? I'm betting that the majority of users suffer in silence instead of taking a chance on a trip into the caching ghetto known as the Groundspeak forums. Typical company/techie line that they know better than the rest of us. Sheez.

For me, scrolling around the maps locks up with the "requesting geocaches" message.

IE7

Vista Ultimate

Core Duo 1.8GHz

2GB RAM

Windows firewall

6 down 1 up VDSL internet (current test below)

male

5'10"

205 lbs

Brown hair (sparse on top)

Blue eyes

Dislikes: Seafood and techies without people or "soft" skills

206901444.png

Edited by callmeox

I want to know why the GC.com techies will not just admit that they screwed up with the google crap that is trying to rule the internet world and bring back the simple gc.com maps that NEVER posed a problem, never locked up, never over scrolled half the earth, never a parsing.... message (whatever that means) never a reloading caches ( that never reload in a reasonable time),...generally speaking... Were NOT a problem!!!!

IF IT AIN'T BROKE............DON'T FIX IT. (or in this case...screw it up!)

Groundspeak, through Opinionate, has asked for specific input regarding your setup if you have this problem. This may help them narrow down the problem that, so far, they have been unable to duplicate. I've provided that info. Input just saying it sucks is not helpful. Input from the elite "99%" that don't have the problem is not really helpful either.

Now donning flameproof nomex suit.

Edited by cheech gang

I don't know - I have now tried it on 4 differnet ISPs, 7 different computers, 3 different OS's, 3 different browsers, nothing more than the windows firewall (and whatever was on the LAN) - all of them handled the new maps just fine.

I am sorry they don't work for some people - but based on my tests - it is not a widespread issue.

I made the 99% estimate based on multiple avenues for reporting such issues available to me in my position at Groundspeak, not least of which is the general email queue for Geocaching.com which contains a more accurate reporting of the status of the site than can be found here in this forum. I know it's very easy to forget that the people who use the forum represent a very tiny fraction of the userbase. You're frustrated - you have every right to be! If you want to vent then please send me a PM and let it fly, but don't continue to clutter up this thread with posts which add nothing to the solution.

PS - It is helpful for folks who are not having problems to post their specs as well

I don't know - I have now tried it on 4 differnet ISPs, 7 different computers, 3 different OS's, 3 different browsers, nothing more than the windows firewall (and whatever was on the LAN) - all of them handled the new maps just fine.

I am sorry they don't work for some people - but based on my tests - it is not a widespread issue.

Perhaps it isn't a widespread issue for those who peruse the forums, but the fact that it is an issue for anyone should be enough for the Lackeys to have a resource on it. Basing the width and breadth of an issue solely on the number of responses in a forum thread is sheer folly.

I like the look of the new maps, the smaller icons and such but I miss the ability to create a checklist from the map. If it worked as advertised it would be a decent upgrade/trade off, but....

Hey everybody.

Think I found a partial solution for everybody suffering the parsing and scrolling problems.

At least it works for me, maybe this will help the tech-guys from the website to solve the problem.

Discovered it during experiments while suffering the parsing problem today.

If I use the zoom-out button on the map (the one with the minus sign on) and move the pointer across the screen, no new caches will appear in the now enlarged area and the parsing problem turns up.

But...

If I reload the map and take the same actions, but keep the pointer without any movement (inside the zoom-out button area), then there's no parsing problem and all available caches appear on the new map. After that moving the pointer is no problem

I can repeat the process as many times as I want, zooming in and zooming out, until I move the pointer before the map has been reloaded and the parsing problem will appear again.

The same with the scrolling problem. Leftclick the map, get a hold on it, and move it into the desired direction. Let loose of the map, do NOT move your pointer, wait a few seconds, and the new map will appear (at least it does on my pc).

If the pointer is being moved, before the new map has reloaded, the parsing problem will appear again.

Try it yourself, hope this will be of some help to you.

Greetz and good luck, Bloodwoosj

P.S., As said in a previous post: I use XP, IE7, DSL connection.

I have posted my specifications on 3 different computers and never got a response from GC..

My simple question that HAS NOT BEEN ANSWERED is this...... Why can't we have the original GC.com maps back? Give us an option to use the standard maps or google if anyone chooses.