can't "scroll" maps

geojeffie

So I continue to have problems with these stupid Google maps and would love to hear the real reason it was switched. Even Microsoft doesn't release updates that are this bad.

So here is the latest problems now:

1. when looking at a google map, "grabbing" it with the hand icon and moving the map, It scrolls really fast and zips way farther than you want.

2. When moving the map as described above, the purple square doesn't show up where you move it, no new caches show up, and it says it is "parsing geocaches" whatever that means. Then it crashes.

These two problems were not there when you first launched the site.

3. Google maps continues to crash my browser.

Operating system: Windows XP service pack 2

Browser: IE version 7.0.57 . . . .

I have the same problem. It started a couple of days ago. I'm new so I don't have a lot of experience with the site and wasn't sure if it was my computer causing the problem. I know it worked better a few weeks ago. I use the maps a lot. The map moves really fast. The caches won't ever load if I move the map to another area. I'm frustrated because in this condition the maps are useless. :(

I have the same problem. It started a couple of days ago. I'm new so I don't have a lot of experience with the site and wasn't sure if it was my computer causing the problem. I know it worked better a few weeks ago. I use the maps a lot. The map moves really fast. The caches won't ever load if I move the map to another area. I'm frustrated because in this condition the maps are useless. :(

After I wrote this, I read more of the forums. I had another thought about what could be causing the problem. I normally use Explorer. i decided to try Firefox. The maps work perfectly and the caches load instantly. Guess I'll have to use Firefox for geocaching. Aparently some of the changes to the site are not compatible with Explorer. I also have Windows XP. That may also enter into the cause of the problem.

Edited by tearmom

This really has to be some conflict on individual machines...can't say it's going to be fun tracking it down, that's for sure. I'm on Win XP and the maps work just fine for me in IE and Firefox.

I can search different locations, move around, zoom in and out, see all of the caches, no problem at all.

I am experiencing the same problems with I.E. on Windows XP. When I drag the mouse even slightly, the map seems to move to the next county, and the geocaches which used to show up, now don't. It just sits there parsing..... It worked fine only a few days ago, and nothing has changed at this end.

I am experiencing the same problems with I.E. on Windows XP. When I drag the mouse even slightly, the map seems to move to the next county, and the geocaches which used to show up, now don't. It just sits there parsing..... It worked fine only a few days ago, and nothing has changed at this end.

Same exact problem here, Windows XP and IE7.

I can not longer get maps to work at all. I thought they were getting better with being able to display numbers next to the icons and the cache list.

But the last few days it has been horrible! I can't get any map to display cache icons or names. I use maps nearly exclusively to pick caches to go after, and I'm dead in the water without functioning maps. I don't understand why this feature will no longer work.

Internet Explorer 6.0 and Windows XP

KoosKoos mentioned a few days ago that they weren't experiencing any problems and suggested maybe it is the individual member's computers might be having the problems. I am using two computers, one with I.E. on XP, and the other with I.E. on XP pro. and both are exibiting the same symptoms and problems. Other forums might suggest it has something to do with the Google Earth and .kml files. One of my machines has Goole Earth on it and the other doesn't, yet, both exibit the same problem. I suspect that when the upgrades are done, probably many in the last few days by now, that some of the servers at GC are not accepting the new updates, or at least are getting corrupt updates.

:) Add me to the list of on going problems with the map program. IE6 Win Xp Service pack 2. I have also noticed that you can't send geocaches to my Garmin straight from the sight. They send as a waypoint and not a geocache. This is also a new problem since the upgrade. Not to happy with it all so far.

KoosKoos mentioned a few days ago that they weren't experiencing any problems and suggested maybe it is the individual member's computers might be having the problems. I am using two computers, one with I.E. on XP, and the other with I.E. on XP pro. and both are exibiting the same symptoms and problems. Other forums might suggest it has something to do with the Google Earth and .kml files. One of my machines has Goole Earth on it and the other doesn't, yet, both exibit the same problem. I suspect that when the upgrades are done, probably many in the last few days by now, that some of the servers at GC are not accepting the new updates, or at least are getting corrupt updates.

Further to this, since I am not seeing any resolve or admission to the existence of this problem; I contacted Geocaching.com General Inquiries at: contact@geocaching.com prior to viewing the FORUMS. The reply I got was a thank you, and that I should post any concerns or problems I am experiencing to the Web Site forum. My concerns addressed in the e-mail were given a ticket ID #, and was dealt with by the Geocaching department. It was rated as a low priority, and that the ticket is now closed.

In light of what is happening, my geocaching experience is slowly coming to an end, because I am spending more and more time on the computer, manually finding caches one at a time, instead of being out in the open air finding them. I am a basic member, I don't know if being a premium member would help.

Further to this, since I am not seeing any resolve or admission to the existence of this problem; I contacted Geocaching.com General Inquiries at: contact@geocaching.com prior to viewing the FORUMS. The reply I got was a thank you, and that I should post any concerns or problems I am experiencing to the Web Site forum. My concerns addressed in the e-mail were given a ticket ID #, and was dealt with by the Geocaching department. It was rated as a low priority, and that the ticket is now closed.

In light of what is happening, my geocaching experience is slowly coming to an end, because I am spending more and more time on the computer, manually finding caches one at a time, instead of being out in the open air finding them. I am a basic member, I don't know if being a premium member would help.

Tech Nic,

As a Premium Member, you could use the Pocket Query feature to download the nearest 500 caches, use a program like GSAK to filter and massage the listing anyway you like and show the results in Google Maps, using your data file on your desktop. The Pocket Queries, IMHO, are worth the $30 per year - less than my wife paid today to fill up the cachevan!

Lots of changes in the site in the last month or so. Pages loading slow, maps scrolling like they are posessed, flags instead of treasure chests. I can't spare the time it's taking to use the site. I look in at least every other day, but I can't sit in front of the pc arm wrestling the maps. I have 5 caches I have recently found but can't log. I'm not hunting anymore till the site issues get resolved. I hope the bugs get fixed quick. My $30 isn't doing me much good right now. Again, I hope the bugs get fixed quick.

Add me to the list of angry users of this web page. I am using XP and Explorer and when I drag the map to view caches the web page freezes and this phrase (parsing caches) appears and that's the end of my cache viewing. Whats going on and when will be fixed?

Edited by cach caper

Glad to see I am not the only one now with this problem. I too am using Xp with IE7. I have also tried it with My other comp that is running 98 and I think IE5, still the same thing.

Kinda hard to plan an area to cache in without a map. So pocket query is out and so is plan along a route.

I agree that the site needs to go back to the old map system. I never had a problem with it.

Edited by Sparticus06

I am not particularly angry with the web site, but I concur with the problems experienced by 'cach caper' and 'Sparticus06' and so many others. I am, as well as many others seem to be, having the "parsing" problem with the maps. One can not plan a days outing when this happens. Often only one cache shows up in a particular area when there are actually several more caches in the area just outside of the limited area shown on the map. Today, when we are all trying to save the planet, one trip to an area sure would be better than several trips to the same area, particularly if the area is miles away from your home co-ords. I am confident that if the programmers are reading these threads that there will eventually be a resolve to this problem, sooner than later.

I've been waiting patiently for the fixes to be made. But it's been long enough that I feel the need to speak out.

I'm experiencing the same problem with the maps zipping around when I try to move them and the constant 'parsing caches' message. It makes the 'view map' feature worthless. I have Google maps loaded on both my PC's.

I liked the new smaller icons on the map when they first came out, but then the next change made changing the scale or moving the maps around kill the usefulness.

Desktop is running:

Running XP Professional Ver 2002 SP2

IE 7.0.6000.16544

Laptop is running XP also, I don't know what version IE it has.

Also, when I load my PQ files to my Garmin eTrex VistaC, all waypoints are blue flags, not small cities(dots) or parking icons. I have other custom P'sOI as blue flags, so now I can't wholesale delete the parking icons when I load a new PQ since they are now blue flags. Savvy?

I hope this is enough information so GS can understand what the problem is and fix it. I know it's tough to fix a problem when tech support doesn't get enough specific detailed feedback on what the exact problems are.

Sorry for the delay everyone, but honestly we're having a heck of a time trying to reproduce this error. In other words, add us to the other half of this conversation who are having absolutely no problem. We'll keep looking but for now it would be great if those of you having problems would try one or all of the following:

• Clear your browser cache and temp internet files
  • Upgrade your browser version or switch altogether
  • Force the map to refresh by holding down the shift key while clicking refresh

Very frustrating isn't it?? I too am having the same issues. Ten minute pasring and still no icons representing the caches. Zoomed in I try to "Pan" around and I end up in Alaska with just a very small move of the mouse... (I am in the Seattle area) Has anyone tried the fixes, and if so please let me know if they seem to make any difference.!?? The previous program worked very well...! It seems they have changed it just enough. I haven't changed a thing on my end and were people having these types of problems with the old program?! You wonder if some things really need to be improved upon. :blink: btw.. I am using IE 7, ver. 7.0.5730.11, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Operating System Version 5.1.2600

Thanks much...

frogwash

Edited by frogwash

OK, Running XP here, SP2, IE6. The maps move around OK in IE, well actually a bit jerkily, but nothing to get excited about. Firefox moves 'em about just fine. As far as I can see all of the features of the "old" maps are here except the mourned ability to see archived caches. I do like the ability to change directly to sat view and topo maps. Please find us a way to see what was in a given area. I miss that.

hairball

I have the same problem. It started a couple of days ago. I'm new so I don't have a lot of experience with the site and wasn't sure if it was my computer causing the problem. I know it worked better a few weeks ago. I use the maps a lot. The map moves really fast. The caches won't ever load if I move the map to another area. I'm frustrated because in this condition the maps are useless. :laughing:

I use the maps to plan all my geocaching! I use IE 7 and XP. Nothing but problems. Slow loading maps when they load at all. Lots of crashing. Very frustrating. I was just about to give up. Maybe the problem will be fixed in a month or so. Good thing I checked the forum. Just Downloaded Firefox. The maps now load quickly I can scroll without a problem. Seems that I should be able to choose my browser though.

I was having the same problem using the google maps with IE7 / Vista. So I downloaded Firefox as others have suggested and it works great!! It was a simple download only took me about 5-10 mins total to install. You can switch between browsers. For now I just use the Firefox browser when I want to do Geocaching stuff and can use either one for my other stuff.

Steve

Ditto on all the problems. It's terrible. I've given up using the maps entirely for searching for caches and I hate it. The scrolling options were the entire reason I first paid up to the premium membership years ago. I'd pay now just to go back to maps that work. Using IE 7 and WinXP ME.

:D I am like others are having trouble getting any cache information since the new updated programme.

Apart from the map doing what ever it likes I am continually getting the message 'pasing caches' and nothing else even in areas I know to be caches.

I am running Windows XP with sevice pack 2.