un-registered travel bug

Gan Dalf

Hi,

I am new to geocaching but a thoroughly enjoying my new found hobby. I have a question that I am hoping someone here can answer.

I took a travel bug out of a cache I found recently and when I came back to log the find so I could move it I got a message that the bug had not yet been registered. I wrote to the owner of the cache to ask them if they wanted to register the bug but I have not heard back fromt ehm and it's been a week. The bug itself was listed as an item in the cache description so I assume that the owner of the cache is the one who put it there.

I'm wondering what to do with it. I'd like to move it along but it reamins unregistered, should I register it myself? Won't that make me the owner of the travel bug; what if the owner pipes in after I register it that they want ot do it.

I'm just not sure what the ettiquite should be regarding something like this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

FM

Was there an actual bug attached or was it simply an unactivated travel bug dog tag? If it was an unactivated dog tag (normally in a baggie with a copy tag) then it is likely simply swag to be traded for. If you were FTF it may be a FTF prize (I've done that but I listed it on the cache page). If there is a TB attached to the tags then it may be that the person is either new to caching or new to travel bugs and didn't activate because they didn't realize they needed to do so.

I'd wait for a response from the cache owner. If you had listed the GC number folks could look at the cache page and might be able to give a better response.

The bug itself was listed as an item in the cache description so I assume that the owner of the cache is the one who put it there

Was it in the inventory or just the description?

If just listed as an item in the description - you can assume it was placed for you to activate and owwn yourself. If it was in the inventory section - then it is already owned by somebody and there is possibly a glitch in the error you saw.

I'm wondering what to do with it. I'd like to move it along but it reamins unregistered, should I register it myself? Won't that make me the owner of the travel bug; what if the owner pipes in after I register it that they want ot do it.

yes activating would make you the owner but you can always adopt back over to them should they show up.

As Thrak mentioned the first thing we need to know is it attached to a traveler or is it still in it's shipping baggie. (Although if it was you'll have the activation number).

Which cache did you find it in? Are there any TB listed on the cache page that the description matches the attached traveler?

Thanks for all of the responses:

Tha Cache number is GC165BT

The bug had a traveller attached to it, a little stuffed bear wearing a back pack with some coins and a note in it. There are inventory items listed on the Cahce's web page but this item is not one of them. The Item is only referred to in the description of the cache along with several other items. I did not take the listed inventory item.

the owner of the cahce looks active, they've logged finds within the last few days. I could write to them again I guess and then claim the bug as my own if they do not respond.

FM

Well I've sent another e-mail and posted a note on the cache web site and still I have not heard from them. I've done a little poking around and I don't think these people really know what they are doing. They've logged several finds but this is their only placement. It doesn't look like anyone is watching it so they are not getting notified when the cache site is updated. either my e-mails sent through the web site are getting put in their spam or junk mail folder or they are not checking their e-mails. It's a little weird, if I placed a cache I'd check the log every day to see if it had been updated.

Is there a way I can register this bug and start it moving? The only thing I have is the code off the tag itself.

Thanks again for any help.

-s

Well I've sent another e-mail and posted a note on the cache web site and still I have not heard from them. I've done a little poking around and I don't think these people really know what they are doing. They've logged several finds but this is their only placement. It doesn't look like anyone is watching it so they are not getting notified when the cache site is updated. either my e-mails sent through the web site are getting put in their spam or junk mail folder or they are not checking their e-mails. It's a little weird, if I placed a cache I'd check the log every day to see if it had been updated.

Is there a way I can register this bug and start it moving? The only thing I have is the code off the tag itself.

-s

Email sent.

-s

Email sent.

Thanks Deuce, that worked. Travel bug reference number is TB18TG7 if you want to check it out.

Edited by FobesMan

-s

Email sent.

Thanks Deuce, that worked. Travel bug reference Number is TB18TG7 if you want to check it out.

Edited by FobesMan

Excellent! Looks like a fun one.

Hi Deuce,

thanks again for all of your help. as you know I was able to register the bug myself in order to send it on it's way. I was planning on putting it in my first placement but wouldn't you know it as soon as I registered the bug myself the real owners piped in and said they'd like to claim it back.

I've verified that they are who they say they are. You mentioned before that we should be able to adopt it back to them. Can you explain how to do it? I can't find anything abvious on how to accomplish that.

Thanks once more.

Fobes