Anyone else NOT like Google Maps?

VirginiaGator

How would you even know if an area was "bad?" After reading this thread, I'm now using the map to see what areas don't have caches. This is a first! LOL! I know where I"ll be headed tomorrow to look around at two parks. I hope they aren't in a "bad" place. :)

Edited by VirginiaGator

I miss the old maps too, to be able to look up old archived caches that are nothing more than trash in the woods was very nice. Would it be possible to add the archive cache feature to the google maps? Not that i particular like the the google map they take forever to load because there is so much infomation, Some times simple is better, Please reconsider the old maps again?

I miss the old maps too, to be able to look up old archived caches that are nothing more than trash in the woods was very nice. Would it be possible to add the archive cache feature to the google maps? Not that i particular like the the google map they take forever to load because there is so much infomation, Some times simple is better, Please reconsider the old maps again?

I second both of these motions. The google/yahoo maps have their good points i suppose but they still have bugs in them that make them unreliable. They'll work just fine sometimes, but i have problems with them the majority of time. I thought that we would have a choice on what maps to use but i see the original GC.com maps are gone now.

Now i find that the "show archived caches" button has been taken away too. This was a feature that was useful to to many of us and it certainly wasn't something that anyone ever complained about. Is there a resaon why this feature was taken away?

I know that some people just like change, no matter if it's good or bad. But i sure can't figure why there is such a push to make so many unnecesary changes on this website in the past few months. Developing new features that customers can use is one thing, but fooling around and changing things around just for the fun of it is another! :)

Is it just me, or do these maps also not show the zip code faintly in the background. :) I used that ALL the time! I've yet to see a zip code.

When I actually print a map of caches in an area, the right side is cut off and I'm missing all those caches. :blink: Would be a lot better if it didn't print the advertising on the left!!

Edited by VirginiaGator

... to be able to look up old archived caches that are nothing more than trash in the woods was very nice.

I don't need the old maps or google maps to be able to find trash in the woods. When I go in the woods I take a trash bag and fill it with the trash I find. If I find something that looks like a geocache or a letterbox I leave alone. Just because someone archived a cache on Geocaching.com doesn't mean it is trash. It may be listed on another website, or the owner may just be maintaining it as a private cache for his friends. The idea of searching for archived caches so you can "pick up the trash" seems a bit vain. Cache owners should be responsible for removing old caches not the self-appointed trash patrol.

I haven't seen any really good reasons for being able to search the archived caches. Perhaps knowing if there was ever a cache in a certain park and the reasons why it was archived may help someone decided if they really want to put a new cache there. But maybe it would be better to just put out the cache.