Anyone else NOT like Google Maps?

VirginiaGator

This is the first I've run into a Google map when I click on Geocaching.com maps. :rolleyes: Is there a way to bring up the type we had previously? I've never been a fan of Google's maps. I like my map to look like a map! Don't care for it being "artsy" for lack of a better word. These look like a kid drew them. Anyone know what map we had previously and how to access?

Thanks!

This is the first I've run into a Google map when I click on Geocaching.com maps. :rolleyes: Is there a way to bring up the type we had previously? I've never been a fan of Google's maps. I like my map to look like a map! Don't care for it being "artsy" for lack of a better word. These look like a kid drew them. Anyone know what map we had previously and how to access?

Thanks!

i like them now that i can check to show numbers and the list of caches show up on the right hand side like before, that way i can print the page out and take them me when i go out :huh:

Previously the old maps were availible on the map menu on the cache page. I just checked and they're gone now.

That's too bad. I'll miss them. I found them occasionally, very usefull when I was planning on placing a new cache. I remember on one of the my first hides, I had picked a location and had a couple of ideas for names. I used the map to display nearby caches, including archived ones, and discovered that both of my ideas for names had already been used on previous caches. Being able to search archived caches saved me some embarrassment.

Other than that I really like the new maps, I think they're far better than any of the previous ones. I don't have any inside information, but I don't think the option of using the old maps will be coming back. :D

I don't have any inside information, but I don't think the option of using the old maps will be coming back. :D

I'll go ahead and confirm this. Real dollars were spent for those inferior maps. Dollars which can be better spent bringing you useful and up-to-date features that will enrich your geocaching experience. I think you'll find the new maps to be more than adequate.

I don't have any inside information, but I don't think the option of using the old maps will be coming back. :D

I'll go ahead and confirm this. Real dollars were spent for those inferior maps. Dollars which can be better spent bringing you useful and up-to-date features that will enrich your geocaching experience. I think you'll find the new maps to be more than adequate.

Once google maps came out I very rarely used the old ones, the only feature I used was to look at archived caches and to be honest with you I don't miss not having them.

Well here is the one drawback of not having the old maps. I like to be able to check on where archieved caches used to be. In Redmond there is a park that has had many caches and they all have dissapeared relativly quickly or had to be replaced fairly often. If you look at the reasons they were archieved it was nearly all because of them constantly dissapearing.

If I am looking to place a cache I like to know where caches used to be and the problems that they have encountered. It helps me to deside on cache type, size and difficulty of placement. I have yet to find a way to do this with the google maps.

That said, I really do like the Google maps and weould love it if there was a way to check for archieved ones as well.

I'm not fond of the smilies. I don't know which cache is which. I pulled up something out along I-95. I see a bunch of smilies for those I've found. Those I haven't found as of yet are just the usual cache with the green lid. I can't tell which cache is which without clicking on them. :D I liked it much better with the listing of caches on the right being numbered, and the caches showing on the map had a number on them. I knew that caches three and seven were right by each other. Now I can't see that. :D Bummer when I'm out driving and looking at the map!

I'm not fond of the smilies. I don't know which cache is which. I pulled up something out along I-95. I see a bunch of smilies for those I've found. Those I haven't found as of yet are just the usual cache with the green lid. I can't tell which cache is which without clicking on them. :D I liked it much better with the listing of caches on the right being numbered, and the caches showing on the map had a number on them. I knew that caches three and seven were right by each other. Now I can't see that. :D Bummer when I'm out driving and looking at the map!

If you don't want to see the smilies, log out and look at the map.

And you can still get a numbered list if you check the box that says "Show numbers on Map"

I didn't care for the Google map at first (either the old version, or the new one), but the new one has slowly grown on me now that it has been tweaked significantly over the last few weeks. Before they changed, I used the Google maps about 60% of the time.

Since the White Square version came out, I've been using it almost exclusively. The last two weeks, I've only been using the old maps for looking up archived caches, a functionality that I will definitely miss.

edited to add: I just noticed that the old maps aren't just gone, they're really gone- my bookmarks now take me to an error page. The old, old maps have also been gone for several weeks.

Edited by DavidMac

Well here is the one drawback of not having the old maps. I like to be able to check on where archieved caches used to be. In Redmond there is a park that has had many caches and they all have dissapeared relativly quickly or had to be replaced fairly often. If you look at the reasons they were archieved it was nearly all because of them constantly dissapearing.

If I am looking to place a cache I like to know where caches used to be and the problems that they have encountered. It helps me to deside on cache type, size and difficulty of placement. I have yet to find a way to do this with the google maps.

That said, I really do like the Google maps and weould love it if there was a way to check for archieved ones as well.

Hi Nate,

Thanks for responding to my post.

As AndrewRJ said and I mentioned further up in my post, the one feature of the old maps that was very useful to some of us, was the ability to search for archived caches. When I'm thinking of hiding a cache, I like to research the area to see what caches have been there before and what if any problems they had. The old maps allowed me to do this. Now, unless I'm mistaken, there is no way to find archived caches.

This is less of a complaint and more of a feature request. I really like the new maps and would only rarely use the old ones for the above reasons if they were available.

Hi Nate,

As AndrewRJ said and I mentioned further up in my post, the one feature of the old maps that was very useful to some of us, was the ability to search for archived caches. When I'm thinking of hiding a cache, I like to research the area to see what caches have been there before and what if any problems they had. The old maps allowed me to do this. Now, unless I'm mistaken, there is no way to find archived caches.

This is less of a complaint and more of a feature request. I really like the new maps and would only rarely use the old ones for the above reasons if they were available.

I can certainly appreciate that you found viewing archived caches useful before, but for some very important reasons we won't be showing archived caches on the google maps.

Many caches are archived because they are in sensitive areas. Some are archived because the area is dangerous or offlimits. In these cases we don't want people visiting the location because they may get in trouble/hurt themselves/hurt the environment. Therefore, we don't advertise archived caches.

I don't know why the old maps allowed you to view archived caches in the first place, since it has always been Groundspeak's policy to hide them from public view. I'm sure someone can Markwell several threads discussing this in excruciating detail.

Hi Nate,

I can certainly appreciate that you found viewing archived caches useful before, but for some very important reasons we won't be showing archived caches on the google maps.

Many caches are archived because they are in sensitive areas. Some are archived because the area is dangerous or offlimits. In these cases we don't want people visiting the location because they may get in trouble/hurt themselves/hurt the environment. Therefore, we don't advertise archived caches.

I don't know why the old maps allowed you to view archived caches in the first place, since it has always been Groundspeak's policy to hide them from public view. I'm sure someone can Markwell several threads discussing this in excruciating detail.

Those are all excellent points Nate and I can definitly see where you are comming from.

Here is another way in which I was using the functionality. There is a cacher in my hometown who has been sick for a long time, and is effectivly out of the game. He also has hid many that were clever and difficult caches. I have been trying to find them all but it has been a slow process. Many of these caches are still in place and viable. But what has been occuring is that many DNF's with no responce have caused the caches to be disabled and now archieved. I am STILL looking for them but now in an effort to remove the litter, and to be honest I will log them as finds as well.

The point being that now I will only be able to look them up thru his profile since I know they are there. It used to be much easier to just look at the old map, click the box to show the archieved caches and make sure the coords are in my gps.

At least around my home area I try to keep up on why caches were archieved, I even have the watchlist set up to inform me of them. Then, if the cache was disabled due to something like maintence and then archieved I realize that the cache is most likely still there and potentially in need of removal if it has been abandoned.

edit...

Your second paragraph is yet another reason IMO to know that caches have been placed in an area and been archieved. If I know the area has had problems I can avoid it, but I may be tempted to place a cache in an area that warrants a high terrain rating due to me thinking that a cache has never been placed here.

I realize that Groundspeak's position on this will most likely not change, but I feel that is is important that you realize all the ways that the old data was being used.

Edited by AndrewRJ

I happen to disagree with Groundspeak's reasoning but I understand it's something they're not likely to change their minds about. I've seen the other threads you mention, so I won't go any further with this.

I do appreciate your responses. Thanks!

Hi Nate,

I agree that it is a shame as well, it is actually one of the main reasons we bothered to "go premium"

I just wish we had the choice of either one. Mostly I miss the state maps that were available showing an entire state that you could then zero in on an area you planned to visit. I used this feature constantly wherever caching outside of our local area. Using Google maps with a limit of 500 caches showing means a lot of extra clicking zooming in and out rather than getting a great overview for a trip. Some trips started with the geocaching map and were tailored to caching opportunities using that overview map.

I would ask you to view this from the other perspective. I'm a local cacher, perhaps I am new to the game. I want to place caches. I look at an area, and see no caches. I think "Wow! Great spot, why isn't there a cache there already?" I run out and place my cache.

I find out only later that there is a serious problem with the area--Perhaps drug dealers, rapists, or other unsavory types hang out there at night (Um, I didn't know, I went in the day time!) or perhaps there is an unbalanced neighbor who attacks geocachers with a shotgun (even though I have permission from the land owner to place my cache there). Or the area floods, is subject to some special land rule (and not all are well marked in may area), etc.

I place my cache and only then do the old timer geocachers start ranting at me that I am an idiot, because "everyone knows" that area is horrible! Or the reviewers have to spend their precious time telling me about the spot and asking me to retrieve my cache (If they aren't new, also).

If only I had seen the previous history of the area, I could have avoided all of that.

Less dramatically, there are myriad places out there where the only reason a cache didn't flourish was that someone placed the wrong size of type of cache in that spot. My point is still that if I can see what used to be there, I can avoid creating any of the kinds of problems that have already been noted in that spot.

I agree the archived caches shouldn't be a feature that a first day geocacher should accidentally run into while cruising the 'net. But a dedicated premium member, searching for a good spot to place a well-researched cache should be able to see if an area has already housed an archived cache.

Would you guys please talk this over again, and consider the value from that perspective?

I just wish we had the choice of either one. Mostly I miss the state maps that were available showing an entire state that you could then zero in on an area you planned to visit. I used this feature constantly wherever caching outside of our local area. Using Google maps with a limit of 500 caches showing means a lot of extra clicking zooming in and out rather than getting a great overview for a trip. Some trips started with the geocaching map and were tailored to caching opportunities using that overview map.

I really like the new maps now with all of the features they have added and it seems most of the bugs have been resolved. However, I did like the state maps feature for the same reasons. I have found that if you put in the city and state in the "Zoom To Address" , you can get to a good view without a lot of clicking and zooming.

Once google maps came out I very rarely used the old ones, the only feature I used was to look at archived caches and to be honest with you I don't miss not having them.

My feelings exactly. I miss the ability to view the archived caches, but I am really liking the new maps. Thanks for the hard work!

This is the first I've run into a Google map when I click on Geocaching.com maps. :D Is there a way to bring up the type we had previously? I've never been a fan of Google's maps. I like my map to look like a map! Don't care for it being "artsy" for lack of a better word. These look like a kid drew them. Anyone know what map we had previously and how to access?

Thanks!

I agree. It's not that I hate the Google map, it's just that I liked the other one much more. That said I think we are out of luck unless the powers that be actually read and take into consideration all the request to bring the "old" map back. I have my doubts.

I like Google Maps, but the newest version no longer has the "reference marker" option, which I used quite a bit. For example, typing in coords, going to the map, and using the marker to see exactly where on the map the spot was. Really wish the reference marker option would return!!

I hate them. Nothing but problems. I can't believe that any organization would launch something with out testing it much more than gc.com apparnelty did. I mean, the did have a copy of IE version 7 correct?

This is the first I've run into a Google map when I click on Geocaching.com maps. :( Is there a way to bring up the type we had previously? I've never been a fan of Google's maps. I like my map to look like a map! Don't care for it being "artsy" for lack of a better word. These look like a kid drew them. Anyone know what map we had previously and how to access?

Thanks!

I despised the old Geocaching.com maps, and I've used the Geocaching.com Google Maps

exclusively since they were introduced. With the sole exception of viewing archived caches,

where I HAD to use the old maps.

If you want to protect sensitive areas, dangerous or offlimits areas, etc. the best

way is exactly OPPOSITE what you're doing. You should be going out of your way

to provide AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE about these locations.

ESPECIALLY all the archived caches that used to be there.

Responsible cachers try to do their homework before placing a cache, and the

archived cache pages, cache logs, and admin logs saying why they were shut down

are VITAL pieces of information. Like a previous poster mentioned, there can be

problems with a neighboring landowner, crime problems, unsafe structures - maybe

even a park ranger who has asked not to have geocaches in that location. But none

of these things are apparent on a map. How is one to know? By researching the

archived caches at that location!

I used the map to display nearby caches, including archived ones, and discovered that both of my ideas for names had already been used on previous caches. Being able to search archived caches saved me some embarrassment.

I wasn't aware it showed archived caches. :( Might they have been the caches I could see on the map, would click on, but they wouldn't do a thing for me? They weren't on my ignore list, they weren't on the listing on the side of the page either. Never thought it would be an archived cache.

I despised the old Geocaching.com maps, and I've used the Geocaching.com Google Maps

exclusively since they were introduced. With the sole exception of viewing archived caches,

If you want to protect sensitive areas, dangerous or offlimits areas, etc. the best

problems with a neighboring landowner, crime problems, unsafe structures - maybe

even a park ranger who has asked not to have geocaches in that location. But none

AMEN!

it is not like archived caches have been removed from the website, they are still viewable on a user's geocaching profile either as a placed cache or even as a found cache, it is just alot harder to research them now. The reason given for no longer including them on the mapping feature just doesn't make sense to me. I found it to be a valuable resource and hope to see it re-instated.

Would you guys please talk this over again, and consider the value from that perspective?

I can see it now... (cue the cloudy fade out effect and dreamy harp sound)

Wednesday morning, at the top secret location of Groundspeak's headquarters:

The washed-out cloud effect disappears and we see OpionoNate sitting at his computer, soft tendrils of steam rising from a freshly brewed cup of coffee and wrapping around a stuffed Signal the Frog that has been haphazardly velcroed to the top of his monitor. Or maybe he isn't a coffee drinker, in which case it's a cup of tea. Or maybe it's a cup of cocoa on this cold, drizzly Seattle morning. But that really doesn't matter.

He is busy browsing the Groundspeak forums, looking for bug reports and feature requests as he usually does. There is the usual slew of threads about the latest server busy error, four new threads about the broken Will Attend feature (three of which have been locked), and one person asking how to change their username. So far, it's been a slow day. Only one bug is worth adding to the database: something about the way that bookmark lists are sorted. He takes note of it and tacks it on to the bottom of the seemingly ever-growing list of site issues to be looked in to. Hitting the back button on his browser, he notices that a new thread has just popped up. Apparently someone is very proud of themselves for having discovered a typo buried deep on the My Account page. Nate sighs, and decides it's not really worth the trouble to try to fix for the time being.

Moving on, he notices that the thread complaining about the Google Maps has nearly doubled in size overnight. Browsing through the many new posts, some more long-winded than others, he notes that most users are fairly happy with the new maps. After several long months of caffeine-powered coding and debugging to get the maps operational, this is a relief. However, several posters have complained that they can no longer browse for archived caches, and some bold text at the bottom of a post by Neos2 catches his eye:

Nate scrolls back up to the top of the post, half of which he skimmed as he worked his way down the thread. Okay, why not. he thinks to himself. He looks up from his monitor briefly, and peers over his shoulder. Elias sits at the desk beside him, furiously tapping away at his keyboard. Jeremy sits reading something from a stack of paper, and Raine is busy pouring himself a second cup of coffee.

Nate pauses, then says boldly but in a subdued voice, "Hey guys, what do you think..."

The sound of typing immediately dies as Elias looks up. Raine slides the old, stained coffee pot back into it's place before turning his head.

"No."

"No."

"No."

The three voices, almost in sync but not quite, echo from three corners of the room. "Okay..." Nate replies, and turns back toward the blue glow of his monitor. From behind him, the sound of furious typing resumes.

This is the first I've run into a Google map when I click on Geocaching.com maps. :) Is there a way to bring up the type we had previously? I've never been a fan of Google's maps. I like my map to look like a map! Don't care for it being "artsy" for lack of a better word. These look like a kid drew them. Anyone know what map we had previously and how to access?

Thanks!

I have found in the last few days that when you click on a map to view the cache location, that even a slight drag of the mouse nearly puts your map in the next county. Very fast and erratic movement, and uncontrolable. Previously, a drag of the mouse led to a nice slow controllable move of the maps. Anybody else experiencing this?

I've already expressed my extreme displeasure with the decision to remove the ability to search for archived caches here so I won't go through it again. But I completely agree with the post above. I can't imagine that people were seeking out archived caches in any significant numbers -- even if a few people were this will certainly be less of a problem than letting people stumble through the same issues again. You should be going out of your way to make this information more accessible rather than less!

I'm not arguing for the old maps to come back either - just the functionality of finding archived caches based on location. Do it with the old maps, the new maps or give us a search option, but PLEASE give us the ability to search for them.

GO$Rs

This is the first I've run into a Google map when I click on Geocaching.com maps. :) Is there a way to bring up the type we had previously? I've never been a fan of Google's maps. I like my map to look like a map! Don't care for it being "artsy" for lack of a better word. These look like a kid drew them. Anyone know what map we had previously and how to access?

Thanks!

I have found in the last few days that when you click on a map to view the cache location, that even a slight drag of the mouse nearly puts your map in the next county. Very fast and erratic movement, and uncontrolable. Previously, a drag of the mouse led to a nice slow controllable move of the maps. Anybody else experiencing this?

If you click on the mouse and hold the button down, you can move in any direction without moving to the next county, etc.

Playing more with the zoom to address. REALLY NEAT that you can type in specific places, ie, Disneyworld, and see 5 caches there. Even tried Eiffel Tower! :):)

I like Google Maps, but the newest version no longer has the 'reference marker' option , which I used quite a bit. For example, typing in coords, going to the map, and using the marker to see exactly where on the map the spot was. Really wish the reference marker option would return!!

I liked that feature too! Please bring it back! :)

Edited by 9Key

I can see it now... (cue the cloudy fade out effect and dreamy harp sound)

Wednesday morning, at the top secret location of Groundspeak's headquarters:

The washed-out cloud effect disappears and we see OpionoNate sitting at his computer, soft tendrils of steam rising from a freshly brewed cup of {tea} [...]

Moving on, he notices that the thread complaining about the Google Maps has nearly doubled in size overnight. Browsing through the many new posts, some more long-winded than others, he notes that most users are fairly happy with the new maps. After several long months of caffeine-powered coding and debugging to get the maps operational, this is a relief. However, several posters have complained that they can no longer browse for archived caches, and some bold text at the bottom of a post by Neos2 catches his eye:

Nate scrolls back up to the top of the post, half of which he skimmed as he worked his way down the thread. Okay, why not. he thinks to himself. He looks up from his monitor briefly, and peers over his shoulder. Elias sits at the desk beside him, furiously tapping away at his keyboard. Jeremy sits reading something from a stack of paper, and Raine is busy pouring himself a second cup of coffee.

Nate pauses, then says boldly but in a subdued voice, "Hey guys, what do you think..."

The sound of typing immediately dies as Elias looks up. Raine slides the old, stained coffee pot back into it's place before turning his head.

"No."

"No."

"No."

The three voices, almost in sync but not quite, echo from three corners of the room. "Okay..." Nate replies, and turns back toward the blue glow of his monitor. From behind him, the sound of furious typing resumes.

Actually, when Jeremy responds he says, "Oh yeah, Neos2, I met them at the grand opening of the Adventure Maze in Muncie, IN. She admitted it was her that was always in the forums. Funny, I thought it was her husband all that time."

I'm not fond of the smilies. I don't know which cache is which. I pulled up something out along I-95. I see a bunch of smilies for those I've found. Those I haven't found as of yet are just the usual cache with the green lid. I can't tell which cache is which without clicking on them. :) I liked it much better with the listing of caches on the right being numbered, and the caches showing on the map had a number on them. I knew that caches three and seven were right by each other. Now I can't see that. :) Bummer when I'm out driving and looking at the map!

No need to log out, just click on the "Hide My Finds" box in the legend. It will simply turn the smilies off.

I'm not fond of the smilies. I don't know which cache is which. I pulled up something out along I-95. I see a bunch of smilies for those I've found. Those I haven't found as of yet are just the usual cache with the green lid. I can't tell which cache is which without clicking on them. :mad: I liked it much better with the listing of caches on the right being numbered, and the caches showing on the map had a number on them. I knew that caches three and seven were right by each other. Now I can't see that. :D Bummer when I'm out driving and looking at the map!

No need to log out, just click on the "Hide My Finds" box in the legend. It will simply turn the smilies off.

Thank you!

I have been a Cacher for over 4 years, and I’m not totally sure, but I think this may be my first ever post. That said, my feeling about this is not trivial. I live in the sticks, and do not have access to any sort of high-speed connection. Being stuck using a dial-up modem, I find the geocachingdotcom google maps to be totally worthless. In fact, I have been trying to load one ever since I have been reading all of the posts on this thread, and it has yet to come in. I have tried them before, ever since they have been available, and with enough time to invest I have found that they may come in sooner or later (although sometimes they never load up for me). I ALWAYS used the old style geocachingdotcom maps as my PRIMARY tool for planning any caching trip or route. Without them, I am just plain screwed. Now, the only thing I can to is to open each and every page within an area to see exactly where it is. With the possibility that any given page may contain gobs of html, and I am using a dial up, that entire process is a snails pace. The ability to zoom & pan with these old style maps is the primary reason that I became a Premium Member in the first place. PLEASE – bring them back.

This is the first I've run into a Google map when I click on Geocaching.com maps. :blink: Is there a way to bring up the type we had previously? I've never been a fan of Google's maps. I like my map to look like a map! Don't care for it being "artsy" for lack of a better word. These look like a kid drew them. Anyone know what map we had previously and how to access?

Thanks!

I agree. It's not that I hate the Google map, it's just that I liked the other one much more. That said I think we are out of luck unless the powers that be actually read and take into consideration all the request to bring the "old" map back. I have my doubts.

Yeah, like they take into consider all the requests to bring back virtuals, etc. :)

Actually, I really like the new maps now that they refined them a little, though I really really miss the ability to search archived caches (which by the way was a premium feature, so a complete newbie unless he or she ponied up wouldn't have that). The argument someone gave about not wasting the admin's time and being able to use the feature to see why an area was so "bad" for hides was a good one.