Pushwalla & Bradshaw Trail Run?

Boomer

Because of work, I can't make the Greater Palm Springs Geocache Event #3 event on Saturday the 10th. I'm thinking about doing the Pushwalla Power Trail Sunday (Nov. 11th), plus some other caches in the area. Campout over night, then make a run down the Bradshaw trail on Monday, Nov 12th (a Holiday). Any interest out there?

Because of work, I can't make the Greater Palm Springs Geocache Event #3 event on Saturday the 10th. I'm thinking about doing the Pushwalla Power Trail Sunday (Nov. 11th), plus some other caches in the area. Campout over night, then make a run down the Bradshaw trail on Monday, Nov 12th (a Holiday). Any interest out there?

That sounds tempting!

WOW, I was just looking at doing that trail {Bradshaw} this morning sometime next month, I wouldn't be able to make the Pushwalla part due to my work schedule, but my days off are Monday/Tuesday. So depending on how early of a start you were planing on Monday I might be in. I would be coming from the San Diego area so a 3-3 1/2 hour drive would be required, but I don't mind getting up early to go or staying out all day to complete.

If you have any more details on times or starting location that would be great.

WOW, I was just looking at doing that trail {Bradshaw} this morning sometime next month, I wouldn't be able to make the Pushwalla part due to my work schedule, but my days off are Monday/Tuesday. So depending on how early of a start you were planing on Monday I might be in. I would be coming from the San Diego area so a 3-3 1/2 hour drive would be required, but I don't mind getting up early to go or staying out all day to complete.

I also live in North San Diego County so I know what you mean about the drive. My plan was to camp at the Wiley's Well Campground which is at the North end of the trail and work back to the Salton Sea. The campground don't have water so that makes them more of a primative type. If their full, the BLM website say you can camp within 300ft of the trail except in designated wilderness areas.

Another cacher told me it was about 4 hrs to do the Bradshaw trail. Can someone else confirm that? I'm thinking with the time change, maybe a 8am start.

I also live in North San Diego County so I know what you mean about the drive. My plan was to camp at the Wiley's Well Campground which is at the North end of the trail and work back to the Salton Sea. The campground don't have water so that makes them more of a primative type. If their full, the BLM website say you can camp within 300ft of the trail except in designated wilderness areas.

Another cacher told me it was about 4 hrs to do the Bradshaw trail. Can someone else confirm that? I'm thinking with the time change, maybe a 8am start.

The book I have shows 4 hours for the trail. That excludes geocaching which can greatly increase the time. I may be up the for the weekend and this is a trail I have also wanted to knock off my list. It may have to babysit my work servers during some power testing on Saturday, but if it gets rescheduled, I plan to be up there all weekend and also be at the event. If not, there I may go there Saturday night and stay till Monday.

Paul

After thinking about it some what I may do for these days is drive up Sunday Night and camp somewhere near the south-west end of the Bradshaw Trail, drive north-east Monday morning to the end near the 10, drive over to Box Canyon Road and take that back south-west for the first day. Camp-out again somewhere near the south-west end of Box Canyon Road and then Tuesday Morning do those caches with the Irish theme to the Northwest of 66th Ave and the 111. But it is written, so shall it be done! I will be up there somwhere on those days with my caching partner Piglit9.

Can't use Google Earth at the moment to get the cache names {hit the refresh throttle looking at all the caches and possibilities}. I will try and get some others to go along starting from that end of the Bradshaw trail and if others start at the northwest end, we can meet in the middle for lunch! I guess if it is a 4 hour drive, just driving it, then add a few hours for cache finding that would make it an 8 hour day for that portion. Then whatever it takes to do Box Canyon Road tacked on to it.

The book I have shows 4 hours for the trail. That excludes geocaching which can greatly increase the time. I may be up the for the weekend and this is a trail I have also wanted to knock off my list. It may have to babysit my work servers during some power testing on Saturday, but if it gets rescheduled, I plan to be up there all weekend and also be at the event. If not, there I may go there Saturday night and stay till Monday.

Paul

I figured what I was told didn't include caching so we'll say add another two hours or so.

After thinking about it some what I may do for these days is drive up Sunday Night and camp somewhere near the south-west end of the Bradshaw Trail, drive north-east Monday morning to the end near the 10, drive over to Box Canyon Road and take that back south-west for the first day. Camp-out again somewhere near the south-west end of Box Canyon Road and then Tuesday Morning do those caches with the Irish theme to the Northwest of 66th Ave and the 111. But it is written, so shall it be done! I will be up there somwhere on those days with my caching partner Piglit9.

Can't use Google Earth at the moment to get the cache names {hit the refresh throttle looking at all the caches and possibilities}. I will try and get some others to go along starting from that end of the Bradshaw trail and if others start at the northwest end, we can meet in the middle for lunch! I guess if it is a 4 hour drive, just driving it, then add a few hours for cache finding that would make it an 8 hour day for that portion. Then whatever it takes to do Box Canyon Road tacked on to it.

Maybe we'll see you on the trail. Be safe.

The Socal4x4Geocachers group ran the Bradshaw trail back in January of this year. Total time on the trail was about 7hrs. This included some time to hide a few new caches, but that would be roughly equal to the time it will take you to find those caches.

There was some discussion of us running the trail again for the upcoming event, but members of our group have run it at least twice so far this year. Instead, it looks like there are some plans to run the Fargo and Pinkham trails that weekend and also a trip to the Grotto. Our planning discussion can be found here:

http://www.socal4x4geocachers.org/modules....topic&t=502

The Socal4x4Geocachers group ran the Bradshaw trail back in January of this year. Total time on the trail was about 7hrs. This included some time to hide a few new caches, but that would be roughly equal to the time it will take you to find those caches.

There was some discussion of us running the trail again for the upcoming event, but members of our group have run it at least twice so far this year. Instead, it looks like there are some plans to run the Fargo and Pinkham trails that weekend and also a trip to the Grotto. Our planning discussion can be found here:

http://www.socal4x4geocachers.org/modules....topic&t=502

Ya, I saw that your group did a run in January. My hope was to piggy back with the Palm Springs event, especially those that have a 4x4 or high clearance vehicle. I also want to give those of us that work on Saturdays a chance to still get out plus take advantage of the Holiday.

After thinking about it some what I may do for these days is drive up Sunday Night and camp somewhere near the south-west end of the Bradshaw Trail, drive north-east Monday morning to the end near the 10, drive over to Box Canyon Road and take that back south-west for the first day.

After researching your post, this loop looks tempting too. Only I'd have to do it Sunday & Monday. :)

After thinking about it some what I may do for these days is drive up Sunday Night and camp somewhere near the south-west end of the Bradshaw Trail, drive north-east Monday morning to the end near the 10, drive over to Box Canyon Road and take that back south-west for the first day.

After researching your post, this loop looks tempting too. Only I'd have to do it Sunday & Monday. :D

Do you have anticipated beginning and end coordinates for each of the trails? I am trying to visualize the runs.

TA

After researching your post, this loop looks tempting too. Only I'd have to do it Sunday & Monday. :D

Do you have anticipated beginning and end coordinates for each of the trails? I am trying to visualize the runs.

TA

Pushawalla (which is the Power hiking trail - 5 mi) is located across from It's well Preserved(GC109B3) @ N 33° 50.316 W 116° 18.468 - On GC.com you can see the caches - Like 30+

Bradshaw north point (off the 10) would be near Happy Meal McCache(GCE264) @ N 33° 36.657 W 114° 54.048

Bradshaw southern point (near the Salton Sea) would be near The BRADSHAW TRAIL #1(GCMDJT) @ N 33° 30.350 W 115° 45.943

Camping Sunday Night might be near The BRADSHAW TRAIL #25(GCMDMB) @ N 33° 29.449 W 114° 53.285 Zoom in on Google Earth and you'll see it (BLM's - Wiley's Well Campground)

Box Canyon is a road through the area starting near Dump HERE(GC11AHE) @ N 33° 34.373 W 115° 59.816. This heads north back up to the 10 Fwy.

Sorry, I'm not as savy as some of the other cachers in the forums that can put links in their post.

TA

Pushawalla (which is the Power hiking trail - 5 mi) is located across from It's well Preserved(GC109B3) @ N 33° 50.316 W 116° 18.468 - On GC.com you can see the caches - Like 30+

Bradshaw north point (off the 10) would be near Happy Meal McCache(GCE264) @ N 33° 36.657 W 114° 54.048

Bradshaw southern point (near the Salton Sea) would be near The BRADSHAW TRAIL #1(GCMDJT) @ N 33° 30.350 W 115° 45.943

Camping Sunday Night might be near The BRADSHAW TRAIL #25(GCMDMB) @ N 33° 29.449 W 114° 53.285 Zoom in on Google Earth and you'll see it (BLM's - Wiley's Well Campground)

Box Canyon is a road through the area starting near Dump HERE(GC11AHE) @ N 33° 34.373 W 115° 59.816. This heads north back up to the 10 Fwy.

Sorry, I'm not as savy as some of the other cachers in the forums that can put links in their post.

This is great information. Hmmm, a 5 mile hike. I will have to look at the elevation for that one. I will look at the the waypoints your mentioned. It will give a good idea of where I will be and where to do a pocket query.

Thanks - TA

Anyone else have any input on the Pushawalla and Bradshaw to share? :D

We are planning on walking the Pushawalla Sunday Nov.11th..Any suggestions on how to go about it?

$kimmer and I did that trail by ourselves a couple of years ago. We did it counter clockwise, but I don't think it makes any diff. which way you go. I do remember Team Nohoch telling us that might be the easier way,you will still have to climb back up out of the canyon......but it isn't difficult.

Very cool trail, you don't even notice the 5 miles because you are stopping constantly for caches!!! :lol:

Have fun!

Splashette :D

We are planning on walking the Pushawalla Sunday Nov.11th..Any suggestions on how to go about it?

$kimmer and I did that trail by ourselves a couple of years ago. We did it counter clockwise, but I don't think it makes any diff. which way you go. I do remember Team Nohoch telling us that might be the easier way,you will still have to climb back up out of the canyon......but it isn't difficult.

Very cool trail, you don't even notice the 5 miles because you are stopping constantly for caches!!! :D

Have fun!

Splashette :D

Thanks so much for your input! We are looking forward to the hike!

We are planning on walking the Pushawalla Sunday Nov.11th..

Darn, your going out a week earlier then us. Let me know how it goes?

We will let ya know how it gos for sure! we have done walked some of the other trails in the area and loved it!About half way we are wondering where the guys on the tricycles are! [:D]

Anyone else have any input on the Pushawalla and Bradshaw to share? :)

We are planning on walking the Pushawalla Sunday Nov.11th..

Darn, your going out a week earlier then us. Let me know how it goes?

We will let ya know how it gos for sure! we have done walked some of the other trails in the area and loved it!About half way we are wondering where the guys on the tricycles are! [:blink:]

I thought you post was for the 11th? My work changed some downtime, so I can now make the event, but am trying to get the Sunday watched so I can campout. :ph34r:

TA

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression on the dates. Here how it's shaping up.

Pushawalla Trail on 11th. Recommended Parking (due to vandalism) is the Visitor Center which opens at 8am - Starting then should give those of us coming up from San Diego plenty of time to get there. Lunch/Caching - Work our way over to the campgrounds.

Bradshaw Trail on the 12th - If we're camped at Wiley's - We can start around 7:30am after breakfast.

Any thought??

Pushawalla Trail on 11th. Recommended Parking (due to vandalism) is the Visitor Center which opens at 8am - Starting then should give those of us coming up from San Diego plenty of time to get there. Lunch/Caching - Work our way over to the campgrounds.

Bradshaw Trail on the 12th - If we're camped at Wiley's - We can start around 7:30am after breakfast.

Any thought??

My work seems a little unpredictable right now for the weekend. It appears that I have to be there Sunday which is right in the middle of multiple 4x4 adventures! Why! Anyway, I hope everyone has a great time. I will have to do these runs and hikes another day. :D

Any thought??

My work seems a little unpredictable right now for the weekend. It appears that I have to be there Sunday which is right in the middle of multiple 4x4 adventures! Why! Anyway, I hope everyone has a great time. I will have to do these runs and hikes another day. :(

I'm sure we'll cross pathes back in our own stomping grounds back in San Diego.

Any thought??

My work seems a little unpredictable right now for the weekend. It appears that I have to be there Sunday which is right in the middle of multiple 4x4 adventures! Why! Anyway, I hope everyone has a great time. I will have to do these runs and hikes another day. :(

I'm sure we'll cross pathes back in our own stomping grounds back in San Diego.

I'll be traveling Bradshaw Trail east to west on Sunday (or Monday?) starting from Wiley's Well Road. Maybe we'll get to meet for a geocachers rendezvous ...

I'll be traveling Bradshaw Trail east to west on Sunday (or Monday?) starting from Wiley's Well Road. Maybe we'll get to meet for a geocachers rendezvous ...

Are you doing it as a day trip or stay overnight? :huh:

I'll be camping at Coon Hollow (N33 26.876, W 114 54.072), near the intersection of Wiley's Well Road and the Bradshaw Trail from Friday through Sunday morning. On Sunday morning, I'll be heading back to San Diego via the Bradshaw Trail. Some kind folks are going to show me how be a "rock hound" this weekend out in the Hauser Geode beds and nearby areas. I'm down to only 25 hobbies right now and really need a new hobby to fill my spare time ...B)

I'll be camping at Coon Hollow (N33 26.876, W 114 54.072), near the intersection of Wiley's Well Road and the Bradshaw Trail from Friday through Sunday morning. On Sunday morning, I'll be heading back to San Diego via the Bradshaw Trail. Some kind folks are going to show me how be a "rock hound" this weekend out in the Hauser Geode beds and nearby areas. I'm down to only 25 hobbies right now and really need a new hobby to fill my spare time ...B)

What is the rate to camp there? The lady at the BLM office told me today the rate at Wiley's went way up. She steared us to Corn Springs Campground. I have to call them back tomorrow so I'm going to verify the rates?

What is the rate to camp there? The lady at the BLM office told me today the rate at Wiley's went way up. She steared us to Corn Springs Campground. I have to call them back tomorrow so I'm going to verify the rates?

I heard that the fee for Coon Hollow and Wiley's Well campgrounds is $40/week or portion thereof. Not great but not too bad compared to the $26/day fee in most state campgrounds. From what I can tell, BLM doubled it this year. I think you can also primitive camp within 600' of the trails in that area. Still checking it out myself. That area appears to be popular with the snowbird RVs.

Are you doing it as a day trip or stay overnight? :laughing:

I'll be camping at Coon Hollow (N33 26.876, W 114 54.072), near the intersection of Wiley's Well Road and the Bradshaw Trail from Friday through Sunday morning. On Sunday morning, I'll be heading back to San Diego via the Bradshaw Trail. Some kind folks are going to show me how be a "rock hound" this weekend out in the Hauser Geode beds and nearby areas. I'm down to only 25 hobbies right now and really need a new hobby to fill my spare time ...:mad:

I heard that the fee for Coon Hollow and Wiley's Well campgrounds is $40/week or portion thereof. Not great but not too bad compared to the $26/day fee in most state campgrounds. From what I can tell, BLM doubled it this year. I think you can also primitive camp within 600' of the trails in that area. Still checking it out myself. That area appears to be popular with the snowbird RVs.

I was under the impression that you could camp anywhere on BLM land for free? Of course as long as you are within the distance from a main road and in a fairly open, non-vegetated area? Am I mistaken in this, I was planning on just pulling off the side of the trail on the nights I was going to camp and just dry-camp out there.

Edited by CTYankee9

Are you doing it as a day trip or stay overnight? :laughing:

I'll be camping at Coon Hollow (N33 26.876, W 114 54.072), near the intersection of Wiley's Well Road and the Bradshaw Trail from Friday through Sunday morning. On Sunday morning, I'll be heading back to San Diego via the Bradshaw Trail. Some kind folks are going to show me how be a "rock hound" this weekend out in the Hauser Geode beds and nearby areas. I'm down to only 25 hobbies right now and really need a new hobby to fill my spare time ...:mad:

I was under the impression that you could camp anywhere on BLM land for free? Of course as long as you are within the distance from a main road and in a fairly open, non-vegetated area? Am I mistaken in this, I was planning on just pulling off the side of the trail on the nights I was going to camp and just dry-camp out there.

Ya. When I first talked to the BLM and said we were staying one night, that's when she said it would be $40 for Wiley's. I placed two calls to her today to confirm the prices for all the sites but she never returned my call. Forty bucks for a place that doesn't have water, don't think so.

Edited by Boomer and his Cache Bandits

That's what the website says you can do. We're still pondering that option.

Two of us in the my group are getting a bug that's going around at work. Looks like we're going to drop Pushawalla to keep everyone healthy.

Two of us in the my group are getting a bug that's going around at work. Looks like we're going to drop Pushawalla to keep everyone healthy.

I will call in the morning tomorrow to BLM, if I remember, and get the scoop from them. I don't mind paying for a camp, but just kinda prefer to rough-it. Also looks like I might join you guys on Sunday night in the Wiley area at the north end for the drive on Bradshaw Trail Monday morning, then I will camp Monday night somewhere near the south end and do the other caches I have planned on Tuesday. We should be getting there on Sunday night shortly after nightfall.

I will call in the morning tomorrow to BLM, if I remember, and get the scoop from them. I don't mind paying for a camp, but just kinda prefer to rough-it. Also looks like I might join you guys on Sunday night in the Wiley area at the north end for the drive on Bradshaw Trail Monday morning, then I will camp Monday night somewhere near the south end and do the other caches I have planned on Tuesday. We should be getting there on Sunday night shortly after nightfall.

With the Pushawalla out and camping an issue, my group is meeting tomorrow to finalize our plans.

With the Pushawalla out and camping an issue, my group is meeting tomorrow to finalize our plans.

I called BLM this morning and they stated that as long as you are camping within a short distance of a designated trail there is no fee for staying overnight. This is for dry-camping in a non improved campsite, so if this Wiley Road place is an official campsite, that is probably why there are fees, or it is not BLM land. She stated that they manage the majority of the lands up that way, but not all of it.

So I will be up there Sunday night and camp somewhere off the trail.

Anyone else have any input on the Pushawalla and Bradshaw to share? :rolleyes:

When my family and I did it, we did it on the shortest day of the year. We went from east to west and hit our first cache just before noon and finished just after dark. According to my log entries, I spent 5 hours and 28 minutes on the trail. I also posted my adventures here.

I called BLM this morning and they stated that as long as you are camping within a short distance of a designated trail there is no fee for staying overnight. This is for dry-camping in a non improved campsite, so if this Wiley Road place is an official campsite, that is probably why there are fees, or it is not BLM land. She stated that they manage the majority of the lands up that way, but not all of it.

So I will be up there Sunday night and camp somewhere off the trail.

I spoke with a camp host and got some info the BLM lands at the eastern end of the Bradshaw Trail this last weekend. For future reference, Coon Hollow and Wiley's Well campgrounds are both within one of the BLM's Long Term Visitor Areas (i.e., snowbird RV roosts). The LTVA near the eastern end of the Bradshaw Trail is marked by signs and actually encompasses both campgrounds and the area between them along Wiley's Well Road. Both campgrounds have well water (marked non-potable and "not healthful for long term use" due to higher than permissible chloride and flouride levels) that is handy for washing and camp showers, etc. Both have very clean vault toilets, shade ramadas, fire rings, tables, and BBQ stands. Overall, I was impressed with the cleanliness of the camps and the surrounding desert. The LTVA stretches along both sides of Wiley's Well road from about 6 miles south of I-10 down to past Coon Hollow Campground. Outside of the LTVA, the land in that area is designated Limited Use (meaning you should keep vehicles on roads, trails, and washes) and primitive camping is allowed within 300' of the trail for up to 14 days, as long as you don't squish anything of any possible interest to anyone. The open camping rule doesn't apply to designated wilderness areas. I'm still unclear about camping along designated 4WD trails within the wilderness areas. The cost for a Short Term Visitor Permit for Coon Hollow and Wiley's Wells is currently $40 for two weeks or any part thereof. The cost for a long Long Term Permit is $140 for September 15 - April 15. For the short term permit, one day will cost you the same as three weeks. Not a great deal for short term, but for two or more nights it is cheaper than most state park campgrounds. You can move around between the LTVAs on the same permit. There didn't seem to be anyone interested in collecting fees at Coon Hollow but Wiley's Wells has a resident "host". Outside of the LTVA, you can collect downed native firewood but you can't collect or possess it within the LTVAs. Other than that, you can run green sticker vehicles on trails and washes, shoot firearms, collect rocks, dig for geodes, collect rocks and minerals, etc. Great scenery, lots of trails, and a great place to roam.

The Bradshaw Trail itself is awesome and a great drive. The road is graded all the way and you can travel most of it at about 30 mph except in a few areas and the very sandy patches in a couple of the washes. Shouldn't be a problem for high-clearance 2WD but 4WD is specified. Having a 4WD along with you should be good enough. The sandy patches are pretty short. I did the entire trail in 2WD (aired down). I'll be going back :blink: