Pre-Loaded microSD-Card map in Mapsource?

Nope. Can't do it. The pre-programmed cards can't be copied, can't be used with MapSource, and can only be used with a GPS unit.

But the other way around it works, I hope? Can I put Mapsource maps on a card and use them in my Garmin GPS?

(I just ordered a Vista HCx and a card, I have only had GPSrs with built-in memory so far)

So I'm wondering, what's the use of the pre-programmed cards? It just saves you loading the maps from your computer onto the card? What's the point?

I'd also assuming a drawback of the pre-preprogrammed cards would be that you couldn't load a second map-set into the card (e.g. a topo map-set to use in conjunction with... say... the pre-programmed road map-set). Correct?

So I'm wondering, what's the use of the pre-programmed cards? It just saves you loading the maps from your computer onto the card? What's the point?

Simplicity. Also good for folks with no access to supported computers. And I think there are some rare mapsets that are only available that way. African countries, maybe?

I think the cards are not the best map media for most people. I will not say they are "fru-its of the deh-ville" or anything like that.

I'd also assuming a drawback of the pre-preprogrammed cards would be that you couldn't load a second map-set into the card (e.g. a topo map-set to use in conjunction with... say... the pre-programmed road map-set). Correct?

Correct.

shunra

But the other way around it works, I hope? Can I put Mapsource maps on a card and use them in my Garmin GPS?(I just ordered a Vista HCx and a card, I have only had GPSrs with built-in memory so far)

Yes. If you purchase the DVD version of the maps, you can load them to a blank SD card and load them into your GPS unit.

spazierenmitziel

mad.gif ohmy.gif signalsad.gif .......

That should be explained somewhere! I thought it's just a different (and more convenient) media!

If you read the description pages, it refers to using the maps with your GPS unit. It doesn't say anything about using it with your computer. Unfortunately, many people read that into it.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama
shunra

But the other way around it works, I hope? Can I put Mapsource maps on a card and use them in my Garmin GPS?(I just ordered a Vista HCx and a card, I have only had GPSrs with built-in memory so far)

Yes. If you purchase the DVD version of the maps, you can load them to a blank SD card and load them into your GPS unit.

But how?

I am looking at Mapsource on my desktop. I know how to upload maps directly to my old serial GPS, but how do I load them to a card?

The only things I appear to be able to do is "load to a device" (and my card reader is not recognized as such), or save the map selection as an .mps file on the card. But is that a format the GPSr will read?

Edited by shunra

But how?

I am looking at Mapsource on my desktop. I know how to upload maps directly to my old serial GPS, but how do I load them to a card?

The only things I appear to be able to do is "load to a device" (and my card reader is not recognized as such), or save the map selection as an .mps file on the card. But is that a format the GPSr will read?

Your GPSr will not recognize .mps files. I don't know what to tell you about your MapSource not recognizing the card reader. Try plugging it into the same USB port as the GPSr. Also, you can put your GPSr in mass storage mode and it will act as a card reader. My card reader is several years old and works fine, so I don't think it is anything different about newer card readers.

There are two ways.

1) Hook up the GPS via the USB cable

2) Put the card into a reader.

Both should work. Make sure you have the latest version of Mapsource. Updates are available free at Garmin's website.