Spring Fling May 10, 2008

Shop99er

I know what you're saying...."Spring Fling 2008?!!? That's 7 months away!"

B)

Believe me I know, I know! This is must a BIG heads up so you can buy those cute kitty or puppy calendars at Christmas time and get them marked.

Spring Fling 2008

Eagles Hall

(same place as last year)

Port Orchard, Kitsap County, WA

May 10, 2008

We are back at the same location as last year. It worked well for us so why change what works?

Well, we are going to change a few things......

The Frog Fling for the adults is going to be bigger and badder next year. It will be completely player hands on! You pick your frog, you load the sling, you aim, you fire! We ain't sayin' it safer... we're just sayin' we KNOW you want to fling those things and we're gonna let ya!

For the raffle.....yeah, we know it went on wayyyy to long this year... we are going to hold several raffle sessions during the day. We are thinking about having you put your names on the tickets so you don't have to be in the building at that exact drawing moment to win. We know it was a problem and we're working on solving that problem.

Other than that......

~~ The GPS Accuracy contest for both kids and adults will stay the same. ~~

~~ The Shark Hunt (scavenger hunt) will remain the same ~~

~~ The Chicken Chuckin' will stay the same. ~~

~~ It's still going to be a pot luck ~~

~~ It's still going to have the Adventurers Lounge for rest and refreshments ~~

~~ We are still going to reserve the Manchester State Park group camp for those of you wishing to camp Friday and Saturday night. ~~

So get out that new calendar and start marking it up!

While you're at it.... go on over to the Yahoo Calendar (pinned above) and mark out all the Oregon, Washington and BC events for next year!

B)

~~ We are still going to reserve the Manchester State Park group camp for those of you wishing to camp Friday and Saturday night. ~~

:D

The camping was a great addition last year. It was nice to just sit back around the campfire, relax and tell caching stories until the wee hours of the morning.

Ya, What TMG said!

I'll be there with RedRyder46 in tow!

Can't wait for Spring....Fling!!!!

We're prepared for you this year, we have a medic this time!

Please make sure the kit has many supplies, we want to be ready for him again. B)

A bunch of wise asses eh? Well I'm one step ahead of you - I have my official Bob the Builder hard hat just for this event - so there :lol:

I just love you guys - always looking out for me! Can't wait for Spring!

A bunch of wise asses eh? Well I'm one step ahead of you - I have my official Bob the Builder hard hat just for this event - so there :lol:

I just love you guys - always looking out for me! Can't wait for Spring!

And we love you, too . . . and Mom! Oh . . . and I'm the 'medic' . . . no treatment without geocoinage! B)

We've got another new feature for Spring Fling!.... you know our motto...if it's worth doing, it's worth OVER doing!!

This year we are going to have a Lego table for the kids. I've been collecting Lego blocks for months and have a nice tub full. So, for the kids who don't want to be outside running around they can sit and build things.

This isn't another 'give away' Spring Fling feature. Please make sure that your kids put the blocks back into the box when they're done.

Now will the aid car be standing by on site or just waiting in Gorst reserved for Chooch. And has anyone called NWairlight yet?

We are currently interviewing suitable 'spotters' for Chooch during the Spring Fling. Once he's outside the authority of the Spring Fling we can't be held responsible. Although we do feel enough affection for Chooch that we will be available to tie boat bumpers and old tires to him just in case...

LEGOS?? did I hear legos? Is there an age limit on the Lego table?

Of course not! Anyone, of any age, who wants to play can. Although we will be patting all the adults down for 'missing' blocks.

MORE! There's more for Spring Fling? What's wrong with you people?... oh I can just hear it now....

Yeah, there's more new stuff for Spring Fling this year. In addition to the raffle we are also going to have a silent auction.

A what? A silent auction! For those of you who don't know how this works. It's 'silent' in that you don't have an guy rattling off numbers and you don't have to throw your hand up in the air and holler 'yuuup'. It's silent in that you wander up to the raffle table, look at the sheet with the auction items on it, figure out how much you'll bid, write that down along with your name and wander off. You can keep checking back to see if you're out bid and bid more.

Why? Oh why are you adding more things!?!! Well, we are getting a fantastic selection of coins for the raffle this year and I mean some really great limited edition coins! We thought that it might be nice that if you really REALLY wanted a coin you could bid on it and not just trust your luck with the raffle.

Right now we have 3 silent auction items. We have a silver Geocaching Jedi coin, a two tone Compass Rose coin and a copper Geocache America (limited to 10!!) coin up for auction. We may have one more item but no more than 4 things will be on the block. If no one bids, they go in the raffle pot. We keep nothing. Which isn't to say there isn't a lot of whining and sad moist eyes when we open the envelopes that come from our sponsors.

All money made from the raffle and auction go towards making sure there is a Spring Fling next year. This year we, again, rented out the Eagles lower level and the group camp at Manchester State Park. In addition to that huge pay out we also print and laminate badges for everyone who signs up for a badge and this year we are going to have honest to Ethel lanyards to hang your badges from! Then there's the kid's goodie bags, the 20 or so pounds of BBQ Brisket.... ummmm brisket......

... so... where was I... Oh YEAH! The silent auction! We, that being DSVaughn, are working on the new Silent Auction web page. You will be able to click a link at the Spring Fling home page and see what's being offered!

....whew! I'm tired already!

Now will the aid car be standing by on site or just waiting in Gorst reserved for Chooch. And has anyone called NWairlight yet?

We are currently interviewing suitable 'spotters' for Chooch during the Spring Fling. Once he's outside the authority of the Spring Fling we can't be held responsible. Although we do feel enough affection for Chooch that we will be available to tie boat bumpers and old tires to him just in case..

Well, I've joined the local LifeFlight club which covers Washington - I need to find my Bob the Builder hard hat and RedRyder46 will be on hand for any blood needed... Do I need anything else????

:rolleyes: What a bunch of smartbutts - can't wait for May!

We are currently interviewing suitable 'spotters' for Chooch during the Spring Fling. Once he's outside the authority of the Spring Fling we can't be held responsible. Although we do feel enough affection for Chooch that we will be available to tie boat bumpers and old tires to him just in case..

Well, I've joined the local LifeFlight club which covers Washington - I need to find my Bob the Builder hard hat and RedRyder46 will be on hand for any blood needed... Do I need anything else????

:huh: What a bunch of smartbutts - can't wait for May!

Chooch, Shop99er here....it's been TTUMS on the other posts.

Considering where last year's boo-boo was, a hard hat might not be quite enough. I would suggest a face shield, catcher's mask, goalie's mask, or some such similar protective device.

Yeah, there's more information. No, we never stop.

First the bad news. We won't be brewing our own Spring Fling beer this year. The brewey we used went out of business last month. However, that doesn't mean the Adventurers Lounge will be without beverage. We will be featuring a good selelction of speciality and micro brews at the lounge.

Now the indifferent news. After some testing we won't be having the Big Freaking Wall of Froggy Terror for the Frog Flinging. We saw it wasn't going to work. Now we are having the Lily Pads of Doom in the Pond of Dispair. A new scoring system will ensure that if your frog hits the ground you WILL get a score!

And the good news? Since GeoDoggies are welcome at our event we are going to have GeoDoggie name tags! Let me know the name of your GeoDoggie and we will have a badge waiting for them at registration!

AND more good news? Well we are just slopping over in sponsorships. As of right now we have over 125 items to raffle off! More good news? We are going to start raffling off items as soon as we have sold enough tickets to make it a fair playing field. The raffle is going to go on all day! No more waiting until the end of the day to sit through raffle numbers, winners announcements and what ever else we can think of to keep you there!

And if that weren't enough... we now have a Moun10bike version 3 coin in the raffle ANDDDD we have a Moun10bike version 3 coin and Moun10like combo coin set in the Silent Auction. We do have Moun10bike's blessing to do the raffle and auction.

Now if the auction items and raffle tickets weren't enough to just vacuum the dollars right out of your pocket we are also going to have WorldCachers.com as our vendor this year. You just aren't going home empty handed from Spring Fling. Not if we can help it!

And yes.... we are going to be having the chocolate fountain as well as double the amount of smoked brisket as last year.

I suppose with That many sponsors, no more items are needed :)

Uhh..Wrong. Please do not assume that you know how much an event of this size and complexity costs. This is not a simple meet & greet at a pizza parlor.

Spring Fling incurs a huge personal expense on our part.

The venue has to be rented, required paperwork and permits have to be paid for. All of the game equpiment, fence material, banners, signs, crew coins, and hardhats are paid for by us. The beer is paid for by us and the co-host. A large percentage of the food and drink is paid for by us. It is expensive to throw an event for 200+ people.

The items that the sponsors send are raffled/auctioned to ensure that there is a Spring Fling next year. Even with the fantastic sponsorships last year, the Fling was several hundred dollars short of breaking even. That cost comes out of our personal pockets.

Any and all sponsorships are welcome and greatly apprieciated up to and including the day of the event.

I suppose with That many sponsors, no more items are needed :)

Uhh..Wrong. Please do not assume that you know how much an event of this size and complexity costs. This is not a simple meet & greet at a pizza parlor.

Spring Fling incurs a huge personal expense on our part.

The venue has to be rented, required paperwork and permits have to be paid for. All of the game equpiment, fence material, banners, signs, crew coins, and hardhats are paid for by us. The beer is paid for by us and the co-host. A large percentage of the food and drink is paid for by us. It is expensive to throw an event for 200+ people.

The items that the sponsors send are raffled/auctioned to ensure that there is a Spring Fling next year. Even with the fantastic sponsorships last year, the Fling was several hundred dollars short of breaking even. That cost comes out of our personal pockets.

Any and all sponsorships are welcome and greatly apprieciated up to and including the day of the event.

OH fairyhoney...fairyhoney..fairyhoney! If only you had a clue as to what goes into these events that we put on! As Shop99er mentioned, there is ALOT of personal funds put into these events. They described those expenses and I will not add any more in regards to that. The Sponsors, are of course, a big reason you have these events at your disposal, to attend. As they mentioned, this ain't your run of the mill Meet-n-Greet.

What I will add, is the amount of personal time put into the events we put on. As of the day after the Luau (In August), we are working on the design and intricacies of the Fling. This includes the time of all 40 crew members that go through email, phone and in person meetings. Put a price tag on that! All 40 of us have put our heart and soul into this event, without the benefit of being compensated, and not a one of us complains about it. It is true dedication at it's best, to ensure that you have a good time. This is not including the time spent in meetings with those sponsors, that are so very important to the continuation of these events.

Thank you Fairyhoney for understanding the situation and becoming a Spring Fling sponsor.

And thanks to everyone who has helped make Spring Fling what it is and to ensure that there will be more Spring Flings in the future.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Thank you Fairyhoney for understanding the situation and becoming a Spring Fling sponsor.

And thanks to everyone who has helped make Spring Fling what it is and to ensure that there will be more Spring Flings in the future.

You are Very welcomed :D I May still have a coin or two up my sleeve :D !

For all you Spring Flingers that enjoyed the Rudy's Sause before, the order was just placed yesterday to send 2 32 oz bottles up for the Fling. Just our little way of being there and contributing to the event. Hope y'all have a big ol' time!

:o:D That's some seriously GREAT news!!! Much appreciated :D

I know some of you missed the Rudy's Sause last year. It went fast!

....no, we aren't spelling that wrong, it's SauSe and it is some of the best sauce to put on just about anything.

We're going to have more smoked brisket this year, more smoked turkey and if you people behave yourselves we might have some sausage!

Today, The GPS Accuracy Game is being turned over to Steve of "The Four Grays". I will be around doing nothing as usual. GZ was set today. We used four GPSs, two with external antenna at 15 feet let them average in excess of 2000 counts and then Steve averaged the four for the coodinates. All GPSs were getting all bars with WAAS and the arrangement of Satellites was good. Dick

Edited by W7WT

Today, The GPS Accuracy Game is being turned over to Steve of "The Four Grays". I will be around doing nothing as usual. GZ was set today. We used four GPSs, two with external antenna at 15 feet let them average in excess of 2000 counts and then Steve averaged the four for the coodinates. All GPSs were getting all bars with WAAS and the arrangement of Satellites was good. Dick

A great amount of time and considerable care and attention is put into setting Ground Zero for the GPS Accuracy Game.... which isn't to say that a good number of us couldn't do just as well by putting our GPSrs into a bucket and heaving them out onto the field.

We have had a player get to within 3/4 of an inch of GZ. We've also had players get to within the same zip code! We urge you to try your luck.

A great amount of time and considerable care and attention is put into setting Ground Zero for the GPS Accuracy Game.... which isn't to say that a good number of us couldn't do just as well by putting our GPSrs into a bucket and heaving them out onto the field.

We have had a player get to within 3/4 of an inch of GZ. We've also had players get to within the same zip code! We urge you to try your luck.

Ugh, I can't find My gps unit. ;)

Ugh, I can't find My gps unit. :)

With as 'well' as I've done at this the last couple of events I'll do just about as well if I left my gps at home!

I'll be there with my trusty good ole GPS! Excpept for my first outing on the good ole GPS accuracy game (dead last, and pretty close to being in the wrong zipcode). I've had a pretty good record. Last time first out on 1st by just a quarter of inch!!

Thanks to everyone for putting this together! I have a good idea of the time and committment it takes! It is greatly appreciated!

I'll be there with my trusty good ole GPS! Excpept for my first outing on the good ole GPS accuracy game (dead last, and pretty close to being in the wrong zipcode). I've had a pretty good record. Last time first out on 1st by just a quarter of inch!!

Thanks to everyone for putting this together! I have a good idea of the time and committment it takes! It is greatly appreciated!

You have done well. I just checked the "Hall of Shame" where you had the following:

2005 GeoLuau 1st session. 168" from GZ, 2nd session you were #2 with 27"

2007 Spring Fling you were #2 with 10.5 inches

GeoLuau IV you were #1 with .75 inches

In the 2005 GeoLuau we also measured bearing as well as distance from GZ and plotted

them on a universal plotting board. In the morning session we got a plot you would

expect with the flags being placed in a cluster around GZ. In the afternoon session

the flags were off to one side of GZ. I expect the satellites were in a row.

Best time to try at the GPS Accuracy Game is when you have good satellite arrangement with satellites from many directions. Wait until you are receiving a lot of bars with "Ds" on them indicating you are getting corrections from WAAS ground stations.

As a general rule morning session is probably better. If you need help getting your GPS set up ask any of the crew. Someone will be familiar with your GPS. Not sure we can help if you have one of the new Garmin Colorado.

Dick

Edited by W7WT

Best time to try at the GPS Accuracy Game is when you have good satellite arrangement with satellites from many directions. Wait until you are receiving a lot of bars with "Ds" on them indicating you are getting corrections from WAAS ground stations.

As a general rule morning session is probably better. If you need help getting your GPS set up ask any of the crew. Someone will be familiar with your GPS. Not sure we can help if you have one of the new Garmin Colorado.

TTUMS here~

I dunno Dick..... There was one year that I set my flag...oh, over in Mason County somewhere, you know, like usual..... and Belleterre borrowed my GPS and won the game! Frankly, I think my GPS hates me.

Edited by Shop99er

Since the date is wrong, I also assume the weather report is also wrong. I would pray for good wx but it has never worked for me. Dick

It's changed at least two times since I took that screen shot yesterday so at this point who knows?

FWIW - The current forecast has it sunny and dry on Saturday.

Um, I'm a little worried that the oh so sweet and lovely TTUMS might turn me away at the door after I never did get her a picture of me and the frackin awesome quilt donated by the magnificent Pepper last year.

(what if I promise to bring the quilt and let you take a picture of me w/ it?? Then can I come??)

mmmmbrisketmmmm