the travel bug

mobdic

What is this discovering a travel bug. I have 16 travel bugs that would like to go to different states or countries but now all they do is get discovered and not moved. I already discovered them so I would like to see them move out of the cache. This is why they call them travel bugs. "Had to say it". Thanks mobdic

I see less movements from my coins and TBs now that "discovered" is an option.

I guess I just don't see the point of using the discovery (other than avoiding the drops and pick up that were previously a nuisance IMO).

I guess some people just want to count the number of TBs that they have seen (read: discovered).

I see less movements from my coins and TBs now that "discovered" is an option.

I guess I just don't see the point of using the discovery (other than avoiding the drops and pick up that were previously a nuisance IMO).

I guess some people just want to count the number of TBs that they have seen (read: discovered).

Yeah... Im one of those shallow people.

IF it looks like a cool coin and I actually see it (in person) then yeah I discover them. Only at events or with a fellow cacher.

If I find a trackable in a cache its going for a ride unless it looks lame or I cant really help it. (Please dont take this unless travelling to the moon by the next eclipse in 3....2....1.....). Then I dont even bother discovering it.

I didn't call ya shallow :(

It's just not my cup of tea, that's all.

I like not seeing the "bug drop" "bug pick up" logs, but see the impact in less movement.

Did not say you did! :P

Guess I can kinda see how you thought. I more or less tossed that out there for the fun of it though.

It is irritating when the past few cachers float through a cache you got a TB wanting to move and it gets "discovered" that sucks.

But for those ultra rare coins that you didnt really find OR did find and want to share with your buddies before you release then that is cool.

Hey,

It could be worse...

"Sorry to say, your bug can not be found in the cache..."

And that is repeated on several of the cache logs as well...

Discovers can be annoying...but this statement is worse in my opinion.

Later,

ArcherDragoon

Well, lost TBs are a fact of life. I think us owners are willing to take the chance rather than settling for whatever the Discover's are offering. :(

Doesn't a Discovery at least let the Bug owner know that his/her Bug is still active, and give them a more recent update of it's location.

Yes, but I tend to think it's more of an rational/excuse for getting a stat without moving it.

That may be so. But I cache with my son and he doesn't "discover". If it is a truly cool TB, you better believe that I'll discover. I especially will discover a coin. I know that the TB has a sooner turn around in his hand because he and 3 other Seattle area cachers "swap out" quite often. A couple of them are up there in the numbers! :huh:

Doesn't a Discovery at least let the Bug owner know that his/her Bug is still active, and give them a more recent update of it's location.

Yes, but I tend to think it's more of an rational/excuse for getting a stat without moving it.

That may be so. But I cache with my son and he doesn't "discover". If it is a truly cool TB, you better believe that I'll discover. I especially will discover a coin. I know that the TB has a sooner turn around in his hand because he and 3 other Seattle area cachers "swap out" quite often. A couple of them are up there in the numbers! :huh:

I would rather see people simply be honest for why they Discover a bug or coin. "I wanted to show that I found this traveler." or "I wanted the stat and/or the icon." (or all three)

Those are the things I would believe.

It's this altruistic, "I'm just letting the owner know it's still there." that I don't buy.

I would rather see people simply be honest for why they Discover a bug or coin. "I wanted to show that I found this traveler." or "I wanted the stat and/or the icon." (or all three)

Those are the things I would believe.

It's this altruistic, "I'm just letting the owner know it's still there." that I don't buy.

I like that idea. Better then just sending a blank box with no thought. Thanks! I think I will do that from now on.

Maybe call me "lazy" but as I stated... I don't mind discovering because There is better turn around with my son. I suppose that I could log it as a find, but then, I'd have to turn around, log it into a virtual cache, then have him retrieve it. Does This make any sense :rolleyes: ?

To quote Blue Deuce, "I wanted to show that I found this traveler." or "I wanted the stat and/or the icon." That'd be me, sometimes, because I mostly Do retrieve and Do the discovering at events. But, I don't mind "discovering".

I always discover bugs that my boyfriend "picks up" and vice versa (we usually cache together), I technically did carry the bug to the next cache so why shouldn't it be in my list? It's got nothing to do with stats, it's just practical.

I broke my camera awhile back and haven't bought a new one yet. I use my boyfriends, and often if I see a nice view I'll photograph whatever bugs are in my bag at the time. The bugs get dropped off and then sometimes as much as few weeks later he gets around to copying the photos to my computer. It's nice to be able to search through a list of TBs instead of blindly trying to remember exactly what it's name was and track it down that way. I'd like to think that with photos it's better late than never, and it'd likely be never for the ones I discover, if not for the discover option. I love when people photograph my TBs.

Also, even if I don't photograph a particular TB I do like to be able to go back and see where things have gone since we dropped them off (okay, I get bored at work) again, it's easier to find them in that list of discoveries.

Coin discoveries are a different story (travelling coins get photographed also, but) I do like the icons :lol:

Edited by ThirstyMick

What about the "take one leave one" comments that are posted? If you don't have any to leave should you take the TB/TBS anyway? IHave posted a discover to show it is still there if I don't have anything to leave.

What about the "take one leave one" comments that are posted? If you don't have any to leave should you take the TB/TBS anyway? IHave posted a discover to show it is still there if I don't have anything to leave.

The TBs goal usually has something to do with traveling and not sitting around in a cache until someone has one to replace it with :ph34r: If it's a good spot for a "TB Hotel" they will naturally be left there, rule or no. If it's a bad spot with a rule poor TBs will sit longing to travel for weeks on end. If you can help em to their goal, move em.

Anyone know how to post a picture to geocaching.com? I have two travel bugs we placed last weekend that want pictures but I don't know how to get them on the site. THANKS!

Load your photo somewhere on your PC.

Go to the bug page and to the right of your log click [visit log]. In the upper right corner is the option to [upload image]

I suppose that I could log it as a find, but then, I'd have to turn around, log it into a virtual cache, then have him retrieve it. Does This make any sense :ph34r: ?

You could also log the retrieval and then have him grab it from you. No need to log the TB into a cache.

Very good idea! We're trying that, Thank you :ph34r:

Anyone know how to post a picture to geocaching.com? I have two travel bugs we placed last weekend that want pictures but I don't know how to get them on the site. THANKS!

Load your photo somewhere on your PC.

Go to the bug page and to the right of your log click [visit log]. In the upper right corner is the option to [upload image]

THANKS for the help!! :D