Geocaching Rating Systems

bflentje

Besides the famous European geocache rating system, are there any others out there that people use?

Yes there is the totally free geocache UK one that does require a visit to the cache in question and is far simpler to use.

One cache one rating works well. The majority end up in the middle some end up at the top and some end up at the bottom.

Never heard of any European system.....famous or otherwise. And I have been doing this for almost 6 years now.

Not surprised as of 10 minutes ago it had 64 caches listed on it.

Unlike GUK which has 24,000 rated caches on it give or take (site down for maintainance at the moment)

I am surprised with all of the comments flying around that no one is able to put the thread together. The GUK site IS the (in)famous European site that has 24 some-odd-thousand listings. Someone was curious as to whether there were any other rating systems based in the U.S. and if not, maybe this website had potential.

But someone mentioned geocaching.com will have this in a future release?? Sounds cool... any background known about it?

I don't get it. The website still has a "donate via PayPal" link on it. Is this OK, given mtn-man's post from yesterday?

Given how much Groundspeak relies on a volunteer communtiy to support it's business model they may not like others trying to at least break even from their efforts, but I sure don't mind.

Every state organization has expences. Some of them charge for membership. Until recently this was a non issue. Now it's cropping up in the forums.

But someone mentioned geocaching.com will have this in a future release?? Sounds cool... any background known about it?

What has been discussed is something akin to each user rating a cache but nobody else sees the raw ratings.

Instead you will get a sort of recomendation. Someting along the line of: "Other users that liked this cache also liked caches gcxxxx and gcyyyy" or "Cachers with similar ratings as your own rated this cache highly".

Actually implemenation has not been announced.