Are Older Models Still Viable?

I've been looking lately at buying since my budget is kinda limited i thought that since i can't buy the latest and greatest maybe last years latest and greatest would be cool...so are older units still viable? What features do we have now, that we can't get with an older model?

The older models i've been looking at are:

Garmin- Vista/legend/Venture or gpsmap 76

Magellan: Meridian Gold/Color/Platinum

Lowrance: ifinder PhD

Is there anything else i may want to look at?

thanks

john

I still trundle around with a magellan meriplat from time to time. Still a good choice.

you may have to add the whole magellan eXplorist line shortly (I would look at a 500/500LE) as their new Triton line is about to drop, and you don't see the eXplorists on their website unless you go hunting for them...

I've been looking lately at buying since my budget is kinda limited i thought that since i can't buy the latest and greatest maybe last years latest and greatest would be cool...so are older units still viable?

Old units are definitely still viable. I cache with an 11 or 12 year old Garmin GPS12. I wouldn't go much older than that because then you start to get into the 8 channel GPSr's which would be a real challenge to use (there's a cache here that actually uses an old 8 channel unit). I use a PDA for the maps and the cache listings.

van der Decken

As stated, the older units are fine for geocaching, especially if you are testing the waters. However, be careful you don't get taken on the price. Many retailers are selling discontinued models for only about $10 to $20 less than the newer (more feature rich) models that replaced them.

As stated, the older units are fine for geocaching, especially if you are testing the waters. However, be careful you don't get taken on the price. Many retailers are selling discontinued models for only about $10 to $20 less than the newer (more feature rich) models that replaced them.

Glenn,

Thanks...i have found that out. I definitely have my eyes and ears out for that...it's the reason i'm doing so much reading on these boards, have visited many manufacturers sites and such. I wanted to learn alot before even attempting to post anything...it's the reason i wanted peoples experiences on these things and not just tell me what to buy...i can figure that out. I like to blame myself if i make a mistake. B)

One of the big differences in the older vs the newer it seems to me would be the usb vs serial. I'm now starting to pair my choices down to those units that support sd or mmc cards to those that don't have them. Maps are important, the topographical ones seem to be more handy. And an ability to loc onto satellites in medium growth overhead. Oh! A compass would be handy as well...Gives me quite a few choices actually....

Old units are definitely still viable. I cache with an 11 or 12 year old Garmin GPS12. I wouldn't go much older than that because then you start to get into the 8 channel GPSr's which would be a real challenge to use (there's a cache here that actually uses an old 8 channel unit). I use a PDA for the maps and the cache listings.

van der Decken

I thought I was the only one with a Garmin GPS12 :-) Even though it is ancient, it sure does the trick. I bought it for may dad years ago 'cuz he HAD to have it to mark his fishing spots. I found out he only tried it 1x and it had been sitting since, so I swiped it! I found the pc cable on eBay and all is well. I wonder what it would be like to have actual maps on the GPSr......