Geocaching Manners

GeoKnitFit

Being new to Geocaching and not having a team or group nearby, I am slowly learning the ropes.

A few weeks ago, my husband and I found a cache and the tupperware container was brittle and broken open. When we find something like this is it OK to replace the container? I don't carry around spare ammo containers, but I can carry around spare tupperware to replace it until the owner can get around to repairing.

The only reason I ask is because I noticed in the previous cachers also said that the cache needed maintenance and it appears the owner hasn't repaired or replaced. I also noted that the container was now broken and notified the owner directly.

Thanks

GeoKnitFit B)

Being new to Geocaching and not having a team or group nearby, I am slowly learning the ropes.

A few weeks ago, my husband and I found a cache and the tupperware container was brittle and broken open. When we find something like this is it OK to replace the container? I don't carry around spare ammo containers, but I can carry around spare tupperware to replace it until the owner can get around to repairing.

The only reason I ask is because I noticed in the previous cachers also said that the cache needed maintenance and it appears the owner hasn't repaired or replaced. I also noted that the container was now broken and notified the owner directly.

Thanks

GeoKnitFit B)

I'm fairly new to the game myself, but I would think that notifying the owner is the best thing to do. Also, posting a "needs repair" (or whatever it's called!) with your find is probably warranted. I guess I wouldn't replace the container. The owner should be responsible to do so.

TKOFaith

If possible I will place the original container inside of my replacement or around it. Also just adding a gallon ziploc for the contents will be a great temporary fix.

I have only done it a few times - always for caches in VERY poor shape. Otherwise, I have my cache repair kit that includes duck tape, weather seal glue, ziplocs, string, etc..

If the cache gave you a "wow" moment or the hunt was memorable that you feel strongly about this geocache-change the container and say nothing to anyone. Not in your log or to the owner.

Your payback will be if you hide a geocache in the future and someone does something similar for you.

Good Karma...

Thanks

GeoKnitFit B)

I'd say yes, absolutely replace it but why not carry a quality lock-n-lock container with you? If you buy then in a three pack, they cost about 2 dollars. You can keep your first aid kit or whatever in it until you need it. Lead by example, treat others as you would want to be treated, these are the building blocks that support the game you are playing.

I think it is a great idea to repair a cache or replace a broken container if you have the right supplies with you. I've often replaced leaking zip-loc bags, since I always carry a supply with me.

However, if you replace the actual cache container - a tupperware box, or lock'n'lock or whatever - you should send a message to the cache owner, via the link on the owner's profile page. The reason is that the cache description page may have some specific information about the container, such as size or color, and someone else seeking the cache will have a hard time finding it if the description isn't updated by the owner.

( If you have exactly the same sort of replacement container,this wouldn't be necessary, but that may be unlikely! )

I've only replaced containers twice - both times, the containers were geo-trash. One was a ziploc holding the original container, which was essentially GladWare. The spot was really nice, so I eventually adopted it, since the owner was MIA.

The other was one that had more water in it than swag. I poured the water out, signed the sponge logbook, and decided that the spare Lock-n-lock in my car could come in handy here.

I've done a bit more less intrusive repair - new ziplocs, new logs, added pens (taken them, too!), etc. over the months. It's what I'd want someone to do when they found my cache in need of repair. As hike n'bike said - Pay it Forward!!!!!

I've only replaced containers twice - both times, the containers were geo-trash. One was a ziploc holding the original container, which was essentially GladWare. The spot was really nice, so I eventually adopted it, since the owner was MIA.

I think it's still a good idea to contact the owner if you've changed the cache container in anyway. One of the caches I found awhile back was rubbermaid container stuck inside an old case of beer box. The cache is located near a college fraternity, and the outside 'containter' is part of the camo.

Thanks

GeoKnitFit B)

As a general rule you can swap out containers for a similar type of container. You are allowed to be nice. I'd even go so far as to encourage it. It won't hurt the world but it may crack a few faces by causing a smile.

Thanks

GeoKnitFit B)

By all means YES! (If you have an appropriate container or part) But be sure to advise the owner via email as well as in the logs.

I've gone so far as replacing an entire cache when I'm certain that one has been muggled or destroyed. I (almost) always carry spare logs and baggies with me anymore just for those times where a cache is in bad sorts. Especially if I'm heading into areas where an owner would have to schedule the time to do a maintenance run.

For me, when someone logs that they have tidied up or replaced a missing item, I feel that my efforts are not being wasted.

I have done a total replacement on one cache that was severely muggled or chewed up. The site was ok, the cache was close by and the owner has gone AWOL and no longer is active. I was just getting into the game and didn't have the confidence yet to place my own, so this seemed like a good way to 'give something back' to the game.

I'd much rather help out an ailing cache then add another 'log is wet, needs a new bag, etc' to my find note. When we are out on a day of caching, taking along some 'fix-it' stuff is pretty easy.

It is my opinion that if an owner can't maintain their cache (which is such a simple thing to do) then it should be archived. I am more that ready and willing to maintain my caches within a few hours if there was a problem so I would rather someone e-mail me and let me decide how to maintain my cache.

My two cents worth! I've done repairs and replaced missing or damaged containers as well as replaced logs and added ziplog bags to the logs. I do not take out the old logs no matter how crappy they have become. A nice idea that I saw recently is that any old/full logs were photographed and the picture logged into the Geocaching site. This off course would be done by the cache owner. I do contact the cache owners and tell them whatever maintenance I've done. If I replace a missing cache (35mm containers in my case), I tell the cache owner and tell them where I placed it. I only do this if I am fairly certain where the cache should be hidden. I do not have any caches yet, but I will be mighty glad if anybody helps me out maintaining my caches if I had any out there. Moreover, it is a real turn off when you get to a cache and you can't even sign your name to it or you only find small pieces of what used to be a cache. I just see maintaining caches as teamwork. This is a community effort and if we can improve it in anyway by helping each other it only make us better and this hobby more enjoyable.

It is my opinion that if an owner can't maintain their cache (which is such a simple thing to do) then it should be archived. I am more that ready and willing to maintain my caches within a few hours if there was a problem so I would rather someone e-mail me and let me decide how to maintain my cache.

Often times older unmaintained caches are of high sentimental value, and previous cachers like to keep the cache maintained, without an active owner.

Here is a log of one of my recent finds:

This is a very nice location for this cache! The area is very well thought out and well-appointed. Picnic tables, benches, scenic views, it has a great deal to offer. I will be back with my kids!

The cache container was laying open, and a book in a big ziplock bag was laying right next to the path. I repackaged the cache as best I could by taking the Mardi Gras beads out and putting them underneath the container. I took the book out of the ziplock and put it into the container, and put the cache container inside the bag, in hopes that it will stay dry during the coming Tropical Storm.

Left a bottle carrier and Chums.

Thanks for the hide!!

The original hider went back and fixed his cache.

Often times older unmaintained caches are of high sentimental value, and previous cachers like to keep the cache maintained, without an active owner.

I've never understood keeping an poorly maintained cache in place for sentimental reasons. I know of a couple out there, just never understood it.

I've never understood keeping an poorly maintained cache in place for sentimental reasons. I know of a couple out there, just never understood it.

How about the "oldest active caches?"

This is fine for you , considering all your hides are in an urban area (presumably) close to home.

Many of my hides are several hours from home, and while I am ready and willing to maintain them as needed, I most certainly appreciate any and all efforts by my brethren to help maintain them as much as they can.

I agree With Trucker Lee and AZcachemeister, as well as a few others here. If you can fix it for the time being then please do so as the same will be done for you down the road. Just the other day I came across a cache that was moist inside and posted my find and a needs maintenance log. When I did not see a log about the cache getting maintenance I looked at the profile and saw that it belonged to the son of another cacher and went about finding out who the father was. After a quick post to the local geocaching group I was able to shoot of a PM to him, but he had taken action by that time.

If I was unable to contact him and it didn't get maintained in the next couple of days I was going to have it disabled while I took it home to dry it out and then take it back.