Anyone else scored a moving cache?

Hobo2

I meant to post a thread telling you about this cache a long time ago, but I forgot.

I scored what I think is one of the cleverest caches out there... a moving cache (GCA87C). I just thought this was so cool I had to share it with you, and to find out if it's common or not. I guess I cheated on scoring this one, because I scored it by chance. The owner of this cache just happen to be where I was at the time, I saw the cache hanging off the back of his jeep, so I asked about it, then scored it. Finding it any other way would have been very challenging to say the least. So let me know if you have found one of these, and what you went through to get it. :)

I have scored and rehidden all 4 remaining moving caches in Oregon. The really neat thing about these is that you can log them more than once. I also had the sad duty of removing the archived cache called "Hide & Seek" which many legendary Oregon cachers found. I gave the box back to a cacher that had hidden it in some very creative places and I put a TB onto the fat spiralbound logbook and named that "Hide & Seek Lives On".

The key to logging moving caches is leaving a pile of sticks or some other signal that it is gone and then posting the new coordinates ASAP.

Tom Fuller

Crescent, OR

I scored what I think is one of the cleverest caches out there... a moving cache (GCA87C).

Interesting that the cache page says "Please do not log it found without moving it somewhere else.", yet the last few found it logs didn't move it, including a find by the cache owner. You would not get away with that on mine.

GeoBlank, I can explain where they came from. I sent out the first one, GCC6B. It was sent out before Travel Bugs existed. These moving caches were the inspiration for the TBugs we see today. They are not common and are grandfathered. They move around in strange patterns. Sometimes they move a lot very quickly. Sometimes they sit for a while. The one above has been held by a cacher for two months now. The other one I own has been in a cache in Atlanta now for two weeks waiting for a finder to grab it. Mine must go from cache to cache to log a find. You cannot "discover" it for a find. You must move it. I've made people change their logs. It is a small Hot Wheels Mars Rover replica, so it fits into a cache nicely. It has tags on it that tell you what to do. Originally they had no logbooks, but both now have had them added.

Some are actual caches and they move to new sites. You take the whole container and move it. The problem that cropped up with these is that they have been placed in banned areas. That is one reason the cache type was no longer allowed. They are fun though, and they are now a rare item.

I recently got my first moving geocache....Bernie's Travelling GeoCache GC2179...Note the GC number ..It is now my oldest cache

Bernie had been hidden in a fairly accessible area for about 10 days so I took the opportunity one sunny morning to nab him and rehid him 5 days later.....The weirdest thing for me was taking the cache ... didn't really feel right....

I kinda wish it would show up on my list of geocaches as it's own type

Edited by hike n'bike

If the owner of a moving cache is allowing it to be logged wherever people encounter it, rather than requiring that the cache be re-hidden at a new spot before the next find, then IMHO the cache should be archived. It's a pocket cache, not a moving cache.

Only two legit moving caches have crossed through my area. The first one caused all sorts of confusion and environmental damage because the person who took the cache did not log that fact for a long time, causing many others to search in vain. The second one was hidden by a person from out of town, who chose a park where cache hides were off-limits. A helpful geocacher removed it quickly, before there was another law enforcement encounter at that jinxed park.

Moving caches work better, I think, if they're tracked on a local geocaching website or forum, with a rule to keep it moving within the local area. The people hiding and finding the cache all know each other, and they know the spots where it's OK to hide a cache.

I have found 3 moving caches, but I have changed my found logs to a note. They were messing with my OCD about caching stats. When I would put my finds PQ into cache stats program it would tell me that my farthest cache I had found was in Europe! I have never found a cache there, also the other one said that I had found a cache in Oregon. Still haven't found one there either. I like clean numbers that reflect my caching habits. (I don't care about anybody elses)

There is a misunderstanding here, it's caused because the way the cache works has changed, and it has been so long since I scored this one I didn't read the new cache page, my mistake. What has happened is the owner has changed it form a true moving cache, that was tied on the back of his jeep. To a cache that needs to be moved by other cachers... I don't think I like this ether.

The way he had it originally been set up was more fun. The way I understood it is he had a lo-jack type system in his jeep so you could see where it was at any given time. The trick would be you would have to hurry and find it, because you wouldn't know how long it would be at that location.

I still think this was cleaver, but the owner would have to do a lot of investing in this lo-jack system to make it work. I guess you van do something like this with some cell phones now, but it still sounds like more expense than I would like to pay.

Edited by Hobo2

First one I found was MtnMan's 'Mars Rover'. Found it on 9-11-01, and since it related to space, I rehid it in a cache that is at a private observatory. This one has made more than one trip to Groundspeak HQ

There are several traveling caches in MI. One I have logged 6-8 times, each one from a different park or trail.

I scored what I think is one of the cleverest caches out there... a moving cache (GCA87C).

Interesting that the cache page says "Please do not log it found without moving it somewhere else.", yet the last few found it logs didn't move it, including a find by the cache owner. You would not get away with that on mine....

My moving cache was archived because people could not follow directions and move the cache. It was passed around events. Which completly defeated the purpose of the cache. When it was archived, that was that.

To answer the OP. I've owned a couple and found a couple. Owning them is a PITA. There are too many clueless, careless, or corrupted cachers to make them viable.

Here we have our (in)famous Moving 123 cache by RJ that's been moved around the Twin Cities since early 2003. In one fairly recent move, it was enclosed in a capped PVC pipe with was in turn cemented into a bucket and dropped into a lake. I forget how deep it was (15'-20' or so, I think) but it caused quite a controversy.

Edited by knowschad

The only "moving' cache I found was one that really wasn't one. It had a combination lock on it (solution of a puzzle was the combo). It was the dead of winter. I had to take it for a ride in my truck for half a day of caching with the heater on before the dial would budge. Then I took it back and replaced it.

Just a curiosity. There never has been a true one around here.

I tried once to get a cache approved that had an initial micro which would be stationary, but the final would "orbit" another cache. I thought it followed the guidelines because of the "anchor" and Keystone even went to bat for me on it, but it didn't pass and is now just a multi.....

Merinelli's Dark Companion

Edited by Rattlebars

I found one once. It was a mini-CDRom with pictures from Belgium. Like others, this one was more of a travel bug than a traveling cache. It was placed inside other caches and logged and then moved.

I posted a "found it" log on it, but eventually changed it to a note. Since the cache was registered as being in Belgium it totally screwed up my mileage and stats.

If I ever make it to Belgium I'll change it back to a "Found it!" :rolleyes:

We are fortunate to have three grandfathered moving caches kicking around our local area. They are some of the most beloved and sought after caches in the area.

GC43F3: Brass Cap Cache: I have personally logged this one around seventy times which still only leaves me about 30th on the all-time list.

GC4411 Leap Frog: This one requires some pre-planning and since I don't live in the city I haven't made the effort. I'd like to log it at least once though.

GCA0D6: Stash n' Dash: Another one I want to log. You have to be quick on this one as there is a hardcore group of seekers who tend to grab it and move it pretty quickly.

EDIT: Corrected URL tag which didn't cooperate the first time.

Edited by DanOCan

Mine must go from cache to cache to log a find. You cannot "discover" it for a find. You must move it. I've made people change their logs. It is a small Hot Wheels Mars Rover replica, so it fits into a cache nicely. It has tags on it that tell you what to do. Originally they had no logbooks, but both now have had them added.

I've signed that logbook :D

But I didn't move it so I didn't log a find. Still was fun to see.

I've been keeping my eye on the DoC.A.R?T Moving Cache for some time, but am thinking I might get lucky soon. It'd be my first.

My sister and I have been trying to grab DoC.A.R.T for probably a year or more when I go to visit her in the DC area. I was there this past weekend and missed again. In the span of one day it was placed, picked up, placed, and picked up. The second time it had to be picked up minutes before my sister and I got to ground zero. One problem with that one is there seems to be a PAF network and people know in advance when it is about to be placed. It actually makes it harder to get it you are not in the know. It will making grabbing it that much more rewarding once I do.

I have never found a moving cache but one of the Little Known Park Finder caches passed through my area briefly last year.

I've been keeping my eye on the DoC.A.R?T Moving Cache for some time, but am thinking I might get lucky soon. It'd be my first.

My sister and I have been trying to grab DoC.A.R.T for probably a year or more when I go to visit her in the DC area. I was there this past weekend and missed again. In the span of one day it was placed, picked up, placed, and picked up. The second time it had to be picked up minutes before my sister and I got to ground zero. One problem with that one is there seems to be a PAF network and people know in advance when it is about to be placed. It actually makes it harder to get it you are not in the know. It will making grabbing it that much more rewarding once I do.

I have never found a moving cache but one of the Little Known Park Finder caches passed through my area briefly last year.

Fun story to read... Thanks :D

We are fortunate to have three grandfathered moving caches kicking around our local area. They are some of the most beloved and sought after caches in the area.

GC43F3: Brass Cap Cache: I have personally logged this one around seventy times which still only leaves me about 30th on the all-time list.

GC4411 Leap Frog: This one requires some pre-planning and since I don't live in the city I haven't made the effort. I'd like to log it at least once though.

GCA0D6: Stash n' Dash: Another one I want to log. You have to be quick on this one as there is a hardcore group of seekers who tend to grab it and move it pretty quickly.

EDIT: Corrected URL tag which didn't cooperate the first time.

Very cool ideas, I especially like the idea of the survey flagging to mark the old spot.

I found one once. It was a mini-CDRom with pictures from Belgium. Like others, this one was more of a travel bug than a traveling cache. It was placed inside other caches and logged and then moved.

I posted a "found it" log on it, but eventually changed it to a note. Since the cache was registered as being in Belgium it totally screwed up my mileage and stats.

If I ever make it to Belgium I'll change it back to a "Found it!" :D

I agree, this was just another TB... too bad about your millage fiasco. :D

I've found four (one of them twice). One has been archived, one is now stationary, the other two are still on the move. My sister and I were hunting for a cache in New Hampshire. She said "Here it is!" I said "No. Here it is!". She found the moving cache, and I found the regular cache. When my accountant does my maps and stats, he removes the locationless caches, moving caches, and Virtuals, if necessary. So my stats are not mixed up. Nope, I have not cached in California, Manitoba. Missouri, Greece or Germany. And that's what my maps and stats show.

Here we have our (in)famous Moving 123 cache by RJ that's been moved around the Twin Cities since early 2003. In one fairly recent move, it was enclosed in a capped PVC pipe with was in turn cemented into a bucket and dropped into a lake. I forget how deep it was (15'-20' or so, I think) but it caused quite a controversy.

This one has got to be the best example posted so far, thanks for sharing it with us... the logs were fun to read!!! :D

A moving cache was at an event a while back. Everyone was enthusiastic about logging a moving cache and I felt it might be rude to not sign the log when it was passed to me. I think this was the first cache I didn't log online and may have started my jaded outlook on some aspects of the hobby. I mean, come on, these guys weren't "finding" the cache, it was handed to them simply because they were around. Sure, you could log it as an "accidental find," but that just didn't feel right.

It is too bad they are no longer allowed. I liked the concept.

It is too bad they are no longer allowed. I liked the concept.

It is a fun concept, but there are too many potential pitfalls, some of which Lep mentioned in his post.

I might be wrong but I think you can still create a moving cache as long as the moves are limited to a

fixed number of spots that have been through the review process. I.e. the cache can be in one of 5, 6,10 or whatever places, but all the potential spots were submitted with the cache and are listed as additional waypoints on the page.

What interesting timing (I see that knowschad mentioned this cache already)! I'm waiting for my first move of Moving 1 2 3 (GCED59) to be found. Knowschad tipped me off about it on Monday night, and I ran out as soon as I could to find it the same night.

My son and I hid it last night around 6pm when it was just starting to get dark out, and folks are planning to be in the field over lunch. It was quite exciting to hide it, which was strange because I have plenty of hides under my belt. I think it's the comfort of knowing that it's a cache you don't have to maintain, so you can be a little more creative about the way its hidden.

I originally wanted to hide this in one of the pumpkins I grew--it's the same shape as the cache and green on one side. But my son made the cutest puppy eyes and said that he was looking forward to carving it for tonight, so we hid it differently.

Edited by meralgia

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what a moving cache is.

In my mind, a moving cache is a cache that you go out and find just like any other, but you take it with you and rehide it in a new location. The key to these is to quickly log the find so few other cachers seach for it in the old spot, to promptly rehide the cache in a 'legal' location, and to promptly notify the cache owner of the new coords so other cachers can search for it.

Caches that are passed around at events or remain at home in a cacher's vehicle to be logged by that cacher's buds are not 'moving caches'. They are pocket caches and should be archived.

If the owner of a moving cache is allowing it to be logged wherever people encounter it, rather than requiring that the cache be re-hidden at a new spot before the next find, then IMHO the cache should be archived. It's a pocket cache, not a moving cache.

Caches that are passed around at events or remain at home in a cacher's vehicle to be logged by that cacher's buds are not 'moving caches'. They are pocket caches and should be archived.

Echo. echo, echo, echo, echo...

:):):)

I just picked up a Pocket Cache TB - not sure how to log a Geocion into it without causing confusion on the GeoCoin... My best guess is to log them both into the cache I drop them in and a little note to that effect on both them and the cache. Not to complicated except that another cacher that dropped before me in the cache I retrieved it from hasn't logged it yet... Arrr... I'll keep sending emails till it happens and off it will go. The PC TB is in a race that started at a recent event and it's for miles and to be returned to that same even in 2008 - I assume it wasn't the only one released but might be the only one that is also a Pocket Cache type. It's pretty darn cool and it's a small so has swag and a log and now a GeoCoin. :)

Verity is the spice of life and this game has a lot of verity that's for sure. I truly hate to see limitations put on the creativity as that is what makes it fun, interesting and challenging. :)

I have never seen one like this, but I have been considering attaching a bison tube to my liscence plate and calling it "Find My Car" or something like that. Then you have to either stalk me or meet me at a cache or at an event or something like that. A little different from the one you posted, but it still moves.

What interesting timing (I see that knowschad mentioned this cache already)! I'm waiting for my first move of Moving 1 2 3 (GCED59) to be found. Knowschad tipped me off about it on Monday night, and I ran out as soon as I could to find it the same night.

My son and I hid it last night around 6pm when it was just starting to get dark out, and folks are planning to be in the field over lunch. It was quite exciting to hide it, which was strange because I have plenty of hides under my belt. I think it's the comfort of knowing that it's a cache you don't have to maintain, so you can be a little more creative about the way its hidden.

I originally wanted to hide this in one of the pumpkins I grew--it's the same shape as the cache and green on one side. But my son made the cutest puppy eyes and said that he was looking forward to carving it for tonight, so we hid it differently.

Sadly, that was the last hide for that well-loved cache. This just in as of this morning:

RJ archived Moving 123 (Archived) (Traditional Cache) at 11/1/2007

Log Date: 11/1/2007

Thanks to all for playing, but as I wrote in my original post on 9/2/07, I'm

archiving this cache. Posen, you can do what you want with the actual

container.

Cache on