Maintaining other caches.

I couldn't for the life of me find a better place to post this. So I also posted it in the Canadian forums (Since I am Canadian) But I value opinions of people from all over the world so I thought this would be a good place as well.

We do not do a gigantic amount of caching but get out with our group or individually when we can. I love caching. Both placing and hunting. I carry a container in the back of the truck which is referred to as the CACHE BOX. It contains:

-Cache containers (In case we find a good spot or need to maintain ours or someone elses)

-Camo tape

-Baggies

-Log Sheets of all shapes and sizes

-Twine

-Pens, pencils, markers etc.

-Knife and scissors

-Team stickers

-Muggle cards

Well.. you get the picture.

Anyways... I have done some basic maintenance on some people's caches. New pencils, baggies, camo, etc. I'm sure these are all appreciated and acceptable in mostly everyone's eyes. I only use quality materials and believe that good will spent comes back three fold.

Recently I have come across a rash of micro containers with no space to sign the sheet or just enough to leave a Team C.O.B.R.A. sticker. (Basic labels with 30 per sheet). I've made up a "temporary log sheet" for these containers. Basic idea?

<<It has our logo and states at the head of the sheet>>

This temporary log sheet has been placed here by:

Team C.O.B.R.A. Geocachers:Niagara Division

Until the owner has a chance to change sheets.

www.cobraops.com

<<Then below it:>>

Cache Name:

Cache Owner:

Log Sheet Placed:

By C.O.B.R.A. Member:

<<Then below THAT:>>

If you are the owner of this cache and your log sheet is no longer here that means we could not fit both sheets in the cache container. We have your log sheet and will ensure it is delivered to you safely for your records. Please contact us at finances@cobraops.com

Now. Is there anyone who feels this is not acceptable behavior when maintaining a cache? I thought I would get some opinions on this and basic maintenance of others caches before putting these things in our truck.

Keeping log sheets is essential to cache owners. I know this. There are many ways to get the logs back to the owner such as personal delivery or the mail system. And it gives a chance to cachers to meet each other. Is there any other opinions on this people wish to share? I really don;t want to "step on any owners toes" or anything. I thought this would just be a friendly way to help out other cache owners.

Thoughts?

I couldn't for the life of me find a better place to post this. So I also posted it in the Canadian forums (Since I am Canadian) But I value opinions of people from all over the world so I thought this would be a good place as well.

We do not do a gigantic amount of caching but get out with our group or individually when we can. I love caching. Both placing and hunting. I carry a container in the back of the truck which is referred to as the CACHE BOX. It contains:

-Cache containers (In case we find a good spot or need to maintain ours or someone elses)

-Camo tape

-Baggies

-Log Sheets of all shapes and sizes

-Twine

-Pens, pencils, markers etc.

-Knife and scissors

-Team stickers

-Muggle cards

Well.. you get the picture.

Anyways... I have done some basic maintenance on some people's caches. New pencils, baggies, camo, etc. I'm sure these are all appreciated and acceptable in mostly everyone's eyes. I only use quality materials and believe that good will spent comes back three fold.

Recently I have come across a rash of micro containers with no space to sign the sheet or just enough to leave a Team C.O.B.R.A. sticker. (Basic labels with 30 per sheet). I've made up a "temporary log sheet" for these containers. Basic idea?

<<It has our logo and states at the head of the sheet>>

This temporary log sheet has been placed here by:

Team C.O.B.R.A. Geocachers:Niagara Division

Until the owner has a chance to change sheets.

www.cobraops.com

<<Then below it:>>

Cache Name:

Cache Owner:

Log Sheet Placed:

By C.O.B.R.A. Member:

<<Then below THAT:>>

If you are the owner of this cache and your log sheet is no longer here that means we could not fit both sheets in the cache container. We have your log sheet and will ensure it is delivered to you safely for your records. Please contact us at finances@cobraops.com

Now. Is there anyone who feels this is not acceptable behavior when maintaining a cache? I thought I would get some opinions on this and basic maintenance of others caches before putting these things in our truck.

Keeping log sheets is essential to cache owners. I know this. There are many ways to get the logs back to the owner such as personal delivery or the mail system. And it gives a chance to cachers to meet each other. Is there any other opinions on this people wish to share? I really don;t want to "step on any owners toes" or anything. I thought this would just be a friendly way to help out other cache owners.

Thoughts?

I can't imagine getting upset at someone for replacing a log sheet for me. It's usually a selfless act that many cachers do every day. Great that you practice this courtesy.

I'm not sure all the rest is necessary however. It kinds of feels like that you want to advertise your good deed or the owners lack of attention to their cache by putting your team name on the log. As far as the message to the owner on the log, this is best to contact them via GC.com and let them know there is a temporary log in there as soon as you replace it. If possible, leave the log sheet in the cache. If it won't fit, try scanning it and sending it to them.

I can't imagine getting upset at someone for replacing a log sheet for me. It's usually a selfless act that many cachers do every day. Great that you practice this courtesy.

I'm not sure all the rest is necessary however. It kinds of feels like that you want to advertise your good deed or the owners lack of attention to their cache by putting your team name on the log. As far as the message to the owner on the log, this is best to contact them via GC.com and let them know there is a temporary log in there as soon as you replace it. If possible, leave the log sheet in the cache. If it won't fit, try scanning it and sending it to them.

I admit. I am a shameless self-promoter when it comes to anything I do. It's my little sin :) But not for recognition of my good deed. Basically I added all the gobbledy-gook (is that a technical term?) because I DO want to advertise my group. I don't leave any sources of info when I do other maintenance. Maybe I should tone it down a bit? I don't know. That's why I posted this. It was not an intention to draw attention to an owners lack of maintenance. Sometimes you don;t know when a log sheet is running out. I would of course contact them by GC.com but the email address is just in case they come by while we are caching (recently met up with owners Scrath-n-Win this way).

But good opinions coming in.....

Adding some log sheets? YES! Good on you.

Now I'm not so sure about taking the old log with you...... I'll have to think a little more on that one...... Nope I wouldn't do, nor want, that.

It may just be me, but I wouldn't want to have to contact someone to get my log back.

Now you could stash it somewhere close, email me the coords, and I'd be fine with that!

Most of all ~ Thanks for caring enough to try to help! I'm sure you'll figure out the best way to handle it.

I would rather someone do that, then to post in their log that they didn't sign it because it was too full or something. I've done that for other cachers, although usually with cachers that I know.

I guess I wouldn't be extremely pleased with all the extra stuff that you put on the log, though...my logsheet is an extension of my cache and me, and I want it to reflect that, not another cacher's things.

I'd probably be fine with it, and appreciate the help, but then switch out the logsheet when I could.

Replacing micro log sheets would generally be fine. However the whole shameless self promotion thing would be annoying to me. My micro logs have a abridged form of the stash note at the top, and a spot for the MEFF. The more space you take up on the micro log about yourself and your team, the less good you've really done the cache owner and your fellow cachers.

Still, I'd rather have your replacement than a log about how "the log is full"....

Thank you for carrying a repair kit and being willing to use it, in any case.

Personally, I'd rather someone post that the logbook is full and let me take care of it. I'm kind of particular about the size and type of logbook I use for each cache. Still, I wouldn't be angry if someone replaced it for me. I would just get out there ASAP and swap in my new logbook and probably copy his log/signature (and any others) to the new logbook.

That said, I'm willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of cache owners would be pleased as punch if you

took care of their logbooks for them.

As far as other maintenance, if there is an active owner I wouldn't go much beyond adding a pencil, duct taping a crack, replacing a Ziploc bag and trading out inappropriate items. The only exceptions would be if the cache has been abandoned, or is in imminent danger because of the condition of the container and duct tape can't fix it.

i usually have notebook paper cut into strips for TEMP replacement log sheets if the original is full/wet/gone (i forgot said paper this weekend).

I also have replacement Ziplock (freezer) bags and paper towels...i don't do full-blown maintenance on a cache if the owner is active, just enough cleaning to keep the cache going until the owner can get there.

small+ size caches are "easy" to do a TEMP log swap...the old one can go into it's own bag & the temp into a new bag...let the owner know what you did & all should be ok...i'll NEVER remove a log no mater what the condition...i've bagged one that was pulp (some might view that as trash, but if it's not my cache, i'll put it into another bag and the owner can decide)

just my $.02 USD ($.019328 CAD) worth

I'm am being completely honest when I say that if you came to one of my caches and hijacked my log book with one of your temporary logbooks and then forced me to go through the hassle of getting you to send me my logbook through the mail then I would be.................bothered and have bruised toes.

My cache is my stuff. don't take my stuff. don't alter my stuff. don't maintain my stuff. e-mail me and I will be MORE than happy to maintain my own stuff........and that is in the RARE chance that I havent already maintained my stuff thus eliminating this sort of situation

Edited by simpjkee

I think it's a great thing that you carry replacement items and are willing to maintain others caches.

However, as a cache owner, I would not be happy at all to find that you took the log book from one of my caches and I would have to contact you to get it back.

Especially to find a log sheet in the cache that now promotes you or your group. I would find that very annoying. I want my caches to reflect my personality and style, not someone else's.

Leaving an extra sheet is nice, but don't take what is there already. And I would prefer that the sheet you leave is generic with no mention of you or your group. If you feel that you would rather not leave a sheet if you cannot do this, then you might ask yourself what is your real motivation for doing this.

Is it to help cachers, or 'advertise'?

Just a simple needs maintenance log is good for me. I will maintain my caches within a few days of seeing one of those logs and I will archive my cache temporarily if needed for a few days until I can get out there to fix it up.

I also carry cache maintenance items with me and have used them on occasion. However, none of the items I carry or would use mention me or any group I am associated with. I wouldn't want anyone to think I am trying to 'hijack' their cache. :rolleyes:

I am not much of a hider so as a general rule I do not replace full log(book)s. I figure my duty is to find the cache and part of the owners duty is to maintain there cache. I know to most it is a courtesy to replace logs but I don't want to here crap from that one ungrateful one. I will make a temporary log (read scrap of paper) is one is soaked beyond use or not in the cache. If I find any of the above problems with a cache I post a needs maintenance (not an email to the owner because a lot do not look at them) on the cache page.

Well I appreciate all the opinions in this thread.

I've got some basic ideas now. Of course I am always looking for more opinions cause there is nothing like a good long thread :(

-Temporary cache log is made up. Less mentioning of the person who replaced it. :(

-Will be added to the cache without removing the old log

-If old log will not fit wth it we will "cache" the old log nearby with exact coords. (I made up special cache containers just for this purpose now.)

-Of course we will note to the owner that maintenance is needed.

As for stickering on log sheets, I am sure if it was one or two or three of us then it's fine to just scribble our name down the side. But when we bring all the members out for a group hunt there may be 8 or nine of us. Hence the team sticker to slap on there.

Edited by Storm_Shadow