How to download caches from geocaching.com to Magellan Explorist 210

parkerjj

My friend just received a Magellan Explorist 210. I have a Garmin e-trex Vista and have downloaded geocaches directly to my GPS from the geocaching.com site. When he tried to download directly to his Magellan, a message says it will work only with Garmins. How can he access these cache coordinates without having to manually type them in?

My e-mail address is jul232@aol.com

Thanks

Edited by parkerjj

Explorists require an intermediary software program to take the .gpx or .loc file from gc.com and then transfer to the Explorist. Your friend may have had a program called Geocache Manager included with his setup disks. He can also download something from the Magellan site called Mapsend Lite that should do this.

The easiest way to download direct from GC.com is to sell your Magellan on e-bay, and buy a Garmin, since the download to GPS tool only works for Garmin at this time.

nice

thanks for not answering the question...

My standard 'procedure' for loading my eXplorist.

1] do a pocket query

2] PQ sent to my e-mail account

3] With the e-mail showing on a reduced window, I simply double-click on the attached PQ, and a program called WinZip opens the zipped file, and shows me whats inside the file.

4] I click on and drag the main gpx file to my desktop.

5] I rename the numbered gpx file to something that makes sense to me, like Home.gpx, or route.gpx, or Lexington.gpx

6] I open GSAK and drop the .gpx file in there to update my database, and to send the caches to my palm for paperless caching.

7] I attach my eXplorist to the computer and turn it on, I make sure it is in data transfer mode, then go into the geocache folders on the SD card and delete the old .gs (eXplorist geocaching) files and any .fnd (found) files in there.

8] Open geocache manager program

9] hit the new file icon (white sheet of paper) to clear out any old cache data.

10] hit the open file icon (folder, next to the new file icon).

11] move the search to my desktop (where I saved the .gpx files) and double click on the .gpx I want to load.

12] Hit the save to eXplorist button (looks like a satellite) and since I renamed it Home.gpx, it will save it to the eXplorist SD card as Home.gs.

13]repeat 9-12 until all of my .gpx files are laoded.

Oh, and I limit all of my .gpx Pocket queries to a maximum of 190 caches.

the short explanation would be to save the .gpx to the desktop, open geocache manager, drag the .gpx file onto the geocachemanager software (to load it) and then hit the little satellite button which transfers it to your eXplorist. done