Proper way to greet other cachers

GeoPirates2007

I've had both reactions. One cache we found, the cachers wouldn't even talk to us and told us to wait till they were done. OHHHHKAY.

Another, we both met up at a difficult cache that either of us couldn't find after several attemps. We saw that this lady was back in the area on our log notifications so we emailed her and asked if she'd want to go look together. Turned out her parents live right across the street from me! We went to this cache and looked for about an hour and a half before we found it. But now we have a great friend that we cache with whenever she's back in the area.

If I see someone near GZ, I usually hold back, and greet them on their way out. If I inadvertently saw the hiding place, there's no point in waiting, so I'll go introduce myself.

If I'm at the cache, it doesn't matter much to me. I like to find the cache by myself, but I also like to meet new cachers. :)

Welcome to the boards!

I usually will say something, although we've only hit two caches with others around. I met some nice folks in Ames, IA, who greeted me with a "Looks like we're here for the same reason." I kinda liked that.

You have to be careful where you use that. In certain parks and rest areas you might not get the response you were expecting.

"Are you looking for what I'm looking for" should also be used with caution B) .

I just say, "Did you find it yet?"

There are some instructions on the boards somewhere for a complicated dance ritual when meeting cachers in the field but I'm too lazy to look for it at the moment. B)

I spent a good hour or more digging these up about a month ago so here it is for you, although I personally just say hello, and maybe ask if they've found it yet.

"When meeting somone you think might be a geocacher you yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I a geocacher am I".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes. "

I am new to this and I was wondering what is the accepted way to greet other cachers when you encounter them while hunting? I am never sure whether to talk about the cache or not. We have become very secretive about it since the kids like to be "neaky" What are your views?

I just use the universal geocacher hand sign. Just about ever geocacher knows it so there is no confusion...

I think it is explained on page 12 of the geocaching manual...

I am new to this and I was wondering what is the accepted way to greet other cachers when you encounter them while hunting? I am never sure whether to talk about the cache or not. We have become very secretive about it since the kids like to be "neaky" What are your views?

How about "Hello"?

We always have our GPSr along and just hold it up with a big smile. (usually after they are done or if someone comes in the general area while we are caching). When they see the GPSr, they say something like..."Yup, we found it." or "It's there." or "Don't tell me you are the 2oldfarts!" :rolleyes:

Most of our meet-ups have been while on a maintenance run for one of our caches, which is a lot of fun for us!

Shirley~

BTW, I should add that my response to this thread is basically meaningless because I typically cache late at night. Only one time have I ever run in to another cacher at a cache and that was a couple cachers that I had met before and knew. I hve never run in to random cachers.

even if I did I would say: "Hi. I'm simpjkee. Nice to meet you."

I encountered this situation the other night, on a FTF run...I was in the car, getting ready to get out and grab the cache (it was a lamppost P&G) when another car pulled up. I waited for them to get out and go into the store, but they just sat there. After a moment, I realized what they were probably there for, and they must have surmised the same about us, as we all decided to get out of our cars about the same time and meet up at the cache. We made the introductions and laughed, and signed as co-FTF's. This just made my night, and I look forward to meeting other geocachers as I continue the hunt! :rolleyes:

I have yet to run into another cacher in the field, but I keep hoping to. On nice days, I've actually hung around at particularly scenic cache locations thinking someone might show up. No luck yet.

And it amazes me how often I've logged a find only to see that someone had been there less than a half hour before or after me.

On the couple of times I have met another cacher at a cache site (the GPS is usually a dead give away) I've said "Hi, I'm hairball" So far I've been right, the individual was another cacher, not one of those other folks looking for things in parks......

A couple of times at MWGB one of us said to the other "Do you want me to put it back so you can find it?"

"Nah" covers that pretty well.

hairball

My husband was doing the GPS dance at one cache where we were all looking and another person when up to him and said have you had any luck? My husband said no what about you and then the other person started talking about the cache. So, I guess that worked for us. That was the only time we were ran into anyone at a cache. And that whole Yay I a geocacher I am dance thing makes me laugh everytime I read it. I would love to see someone doing that out in the woods.

Welcome to the boards!

I usually will say something, although we've only hit two caches with others around. I met some nice folks in Ames, IA, who greeted me with a "Looks like we're here for the same reason." I kinda liked that.

If you come to Chico and search for caches near Cedar Grove in the park do NOT, I repeat do NOT use that line. There is friendly and then there is way too friendly.

Usually "Did you find it?" works well. I'm not good with names and faces, so it always comes as a surprise when I'm caching in some far away place like Prospect Park, Brooklyn, and someone walks by and says "Hi, Harry!" Then there was thet ime I has headed back on a mile or so hike, down the power line, and met someone walking by with a GPS. "Are you looking for X Cache?" "Nope. I'm a National Map Corps Volunteer." Guess it takes all kinds.

We have the best group of cachers in our state. Everyone we've met has been super friendly, and we all generally get a laugh when finding another gcer in our path. Some have been nice and let our kids hunt for the cache, and if the other person was there before us, we always let them have the log first. We usually let the other group search through the contents first too, even if we were there first. I think common courtesy will get you far with other cachers. There's some mean spirited people out there, but I think you'll find most are just having a good time and are happy to see others doing the same.

I don't know that there's any pronounced etiquette on the topic (Miss Manners Goes Geocaching!), but it's pretty much a common sense thing. Make a friendly remark, see how the other person responds. We've sometimes been heading to the same cache at the same time as others, and that can become awkward or comical and everything in between! Best case scenario? Cooperation!

My husband has a travel bug on his walking stick, and people can duly record that they "met NotThePainter on the trail." It's great fun!

I'm sure that you'll find that friendliness and cooperation prevail, though if it's a FTF run ... all bets are off! <grin>

Enjoy ....

Jeannette

It's funny I ran across this topic tonite. Just today I went out to check on my cache hide (my first and only...so far). While in the lower parking lot, I saw a car pull to the upper parking lot where my first stage is. I peeked to see if it was someone looking for my cache and sure 'nuff they were poking around the right area. So I had to rush to check on my 2nd stage...then the 3rd. On the way back, as I figured, I ran into the couple just emerging onto the trail from the woods from Stage 2. As they approached I said (in my best "I'm a cacher too" voice) "You finding everything OK?" --figuring they'd know only a fellow cacher would say something like that. They looked a bit startled and said "Yes" and mumbled something about heading to the 3rd stage. I said, "It's my cache....3rd stage isn't too hard...good luck." They said thanks and went on their way. So I went on my way. I was a little surprised they didn't say anything else.

Although I haven't met a lot of cachers on the trail, I have noticed most (not all) people seem awkward and hesitant to say anything even when its obvious I am out caching too. Most people have just smiled nervously or said a quick "hi" and passed on by. :blink:

The people I saw today very kindly left a note on my car (took a guess as my car was the only one in that lower lot). Not only did they leave a note, they even waited to see if I came out of the woods (but I was scouting a new hide area). In the note, they apologized for not identifying themselves and said they didn't mean to be rude. They were just taken aback that I had spoken to them. lol I think it was quite nice of them to make such an effort to apologize for being a bit stand-offish.

Its funny how that veil of secrecy in hunting sometimes spills over onto fellow cachers even when you know its not a muggle. :)

Edited by PlantAKiss

We usually spot a GPS first and then say something. But there was one about 65 miles from us where we ran into a guy and I would think his daughter who were leaving as we arrived. He was near the car, and I guess the girl saw the GPS. She let me know that there wasn't a pen in the cache. Before I was able to ask her if she wanted to use my pen after we found it, the guy pretty much yelled out...don't tell them where it is. ;);)

In a dog park in another city, turned out a "friendly" couple was sitting on the bench where ground zero was. Tried waiting them out but didn't want to take the entire afternoon! I finally said excuse me and proceeded to tell them there was something on that bench I was looking for and explained Geocaching to them. LOL! ;)

All our other run-ins have been good ones.

Edited by VirginiaGator

Already quoted but worth repeating - (credit to briansnat)

When meeting somone you think might be a geocacher you yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I a geocacher am I".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes.

Recently we were tucked away in some bushes, sitting on the ground sorting through a cache, when another cacher came around the corner. She still couldn't see us, but probably heard us oohing and ahhing over the multitude of travel bugs we found. She said, "I hear fellow geocachers!" We laughed and she walked up and introduced herself. She was very courteous about not standing over us, so we encouraged her to jump in and pick out a TB.

Another time, I was caching alone in a very difficult and remote High Sierra spot. I had just made the find after a major climb and a tough search. Didn't see a soul all day until all of a sudden another geocacher came over the ridge just 10 feet away. We were both startled and shocked to see anyone, let alone another cacher. He was also very courteous and after introducing himself he stepped aside and waited for me to finish. Both experiences were very positive.

"When meeting somone you think might be a geocacher you yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I a geocacher am I".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes. "

Has anybody ever actually done this?

Hi! I'm Leswon (after seeing gps)

When I was living in Big Bear over the summer, I visited a cache that I tried finding the summer before (Thanks Badgerdawg!). As I was entering the park, I heard some chatter behind me relating to caching, so I turned around and said, "It seems like we are searching for the same thing"! It was a family up from down the hill and they were hitting some caches before going home.

All I can say is this...if they were not there, I would have struck out a second time, because when I saw where it was, I was agast! The father spotted it and pointed it out. I would have never found it if they weren't there.

I was doing some cache and dashes on my motorbike one day and when I arrived at this nice little bench overlooking the water there was a car there and a couple standing beside it.. Well I parked the bike and proceeded to take off my gear...they struck up a conversation about my bike and we started having a really nice chat...next thing I know they plop themselves down on the bench. well the lady she moves over to make room for me and I just couldn't take it anymore plus I had to get going so I says...........

wait for it.................. :(

Actually, (pointing at the guy) I really want what's between your legs...... :P

And then I proceeded to tell them what I was doing and he reached down between his legs and under the bench and pulled out the magnetic containor for me....... :(

Hopefully they became new geocachers.....

OT: I generally just walk up and introduce myself....

Edited by hike n'bike

I was reading one of my old logs where I made mention of "Noticed some other cachers looking for this one so we had to wait before moving in to make the find." That seems strange to me now because my current reaction would be to walk up, ask if they found it yet and then join in the hunt.

Until reading this thread it never occurred to me that their might be cachers who want to hunt in private. I have a lot more fun caching with people than I do solo. Oh well, they'll have to deal with it. :(

If I come across another cacher, I usually give them a hard time (especially if they seem new).. Something like, "Hey! What are you doing!.. Are you selling drugs?"

This is my favorite answer! Where do I vote...

As a newbie I would be taken aback at such a response. It's already hard enough to explain to friends why you actually enjoy the hunt! If the comments were followed by a sly grin then it would be different. Not familiar with the handshake as described elsewhere in the posts.

As a newbie I would be taken aback at such a response. It's already hard enough to explain to friends why you actually enjoy the hunt! If the comments were followed by a sly grin then it would be different. Not familiar with the handshake as described elsewhere in the posts.

If youve got friends then you are not geek'y enough! lol :laughing:

Other geeks understand! lol :D

Ok, so I get a new GPS, and I decide to try out geocaching. I go out on my mountain bike to try to find my first one at the other end of my neighborhood. I am quite nervous wondering what others would say/think seeing me tromping around looking for things, and I really had no idea what to expect. So I get to the location my GPS says and I start looking. I am pawing through some bushes, even though the listing stated it was a LPC, but I didn't know that meant Light Pole Cache. There are some other people around in the park as I am pawing around in the bushes, and I was quite nervous wondering what they would think. Then two people start walking towards me, and I was like Uh-oh, are they going to yell at me or take me to jail?

Then the two people get close and speak up and ask if I am geocaching. I was like, YES! And thank god they aren't there to yell at me! I was very relieved and then I was very excited because these super nice people from Team Obeiei (i hope i spelled that right) took the time to explain to me LPC meant that I probably am wasting my time looking in the bushes, haha. I had a good laugh over that, and then they were super kind and generous enough to invite me to meet them at their next cache on their list to show me how it's done!

So we went to the next cache and they found it and they took a lot of time to teach me all about geocaching and all the terminology and the local group for my area. It was the best coincidence that could have happened on my very first time out geocaching. They are really great people and I really appreciate them helping me out and taking me along to their next find to show me the ropes. That was truly awesome of them. :blink:

I was doing some cache and dashes on my motorbike one day and when I arrived at this nice little bench overlooking the water there was a car there and a couple standing beside it.. Well I parked the bike and proceeded to take off my gear...they struck up a conversation about my bike and we started having a really nice chat...next thing I know they plop themselves down on the bench. well the lady she moves over to make room for me and I just couldn't take it anymore plus I had to get going so I says...........

wait for it.................. :cool:

Actually, (pointing at the guy) I really want what's between your legs...... :D

And then I proceeded to tell them what I was doing and he reached down between his legs and under the bench and pulled out the magnetic containor for me....... :unsure:

Hopefully they became new geocachers.....

OT: I generally just walk up and introduce myself....

OMG! I literally just burst out laughing!!!!! Tears running down my cheeks. :ph34r:

I just say, "Did you find it yet?"

There are some instructions on the boards somewhere for a complicated dance ritual when meeting cachers in the field but I'm too lazy to look for it at the moment. :ph34r:

I spent a good hour or more digging these up about a month ago so here it is for you, although I personally just say hello, and maybe ask if they've found it yet.

Looks like I did it all wrong today when I walked up & found IrishFlyFisher standing at the cache. I missed my oppurtunity to dance. :unsure::cool:

Next time for sure!