"In The Light" GeoCoin

PsYkO.ns

Hey all,

One of the Geocaching groups I'm in is looking at creating a coin. To that end I've put this together and would like some feedback from people outside the group.

I understand that this coin may not be appealing to all viewers... :) I am not asking for or looking for discussion regarding christianity and people's personal viewpoints. What I am looking for is a critique of this coin as a basic design on its technical merit.

This coin is in the concept stage and as such is rough and the finished product will have fine and clean edges, please keep this in mind as you tear my work apart!! :)

As follows is the original Post:

Here's a concept for a front and back... Please note that I just put the artwork in rough and will let the company we use do the final clean design.

Also, i just used the "In the Light" verse as an example... we do not have to use it, though i feel its appropriate considering that we are a fellowship.

Coin Title : In The Light

walkinthelightfbcopyec3.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

What do you all think?

*edited to resize*

Looks like your group has made some good progress in your design. Given that the coin is titled "In the light" I assume that the star is being used to represent light. I'm curious though, do you plan to have it colored or done as a 3D design? My only concern with the star design is that it looks a lot like the various compass / navigation stars that have been done in a lot of different coin designs. Not sure how important it is to your group that this coin be completely unique but you may want to consider coming up with another interpretation for light.

Best of luck as you work to finalize your design and start your minting.

The Compass Rose is used because of the Geocaching theme and as a continuation of another design i made where the text was "Where does your Compass Point" and the compass rose North Pole pointed to the word Christ.

The name is in reference to the Bible Verse, though we may very well edit the front to reflect the "In the Light" theme. Thanks for the Input.

WOW... i didn't know that it was copywritten work. I drew the cross fromhere and it didn't specify that it was copywritten.

I will have to rework the coin to protect the original copywriters and to ensure that the coin reflects our organizations denomination-blind stance.

Thank you for that valuable information.

Blessings.

Hi--

I didn't mean to sound terse at all. If you go to the Wikipedia and look up Methodist Church, there is a link to the information about their "Cross and Flame" logo and its copyright information.

My old Lutheran church had a similar logo, but the one you've got looks very close. I doubt the Church would care about any potential copyright infringement, but Groundspeak might frown on it. You'd have to ask.

I like the coin, though.

speaking of geocoins...since this is the place for that....what's the deal with all the lost/stolen coins?? who takes 'em and why??

i've gotten in the habit of scanning my coins and then printing and laminating the images and putting those out for others to discover/find.

who's got thoughts on this subject??

I don't like people to steal them, if someone is a collector they should have the courage to log it and then keep it against the coin owners will....

(or let it travel)

Honestly though I hate finding copies of coins knowing the coin is actualy available to travel.

Not being able to handle the real thing and look at the design makes it not as worth it. I either ignore them or occastional discover them but never move them.

Just my opinions and all...

Love the coin, but don't like the dove's feet/tail??! I know it's picky and petty (sorry!) but something about its feet just looks off! Maybe if you rotate it to the left a little more?

The verse fits your coin title perfectly, but what about using one that is a little more well known, like Matthew 18:20 - For where two or more are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them. Doing that, though, would remove any real reference to Light from the coin, negating your title. Using a different verse than what you have listed might give the coin a little wider appeal, too.

Could you do the cross like a candle, that way you keep the flame concept that also contributes to the "light" theme?

Here are a couple of images that are likely copywrited, but it's the idea that counts, right?

Via_Cross-Candle.jpg

HE%20IS%20THE%20LIGHT.JPG

Hey all,

One of the Geocaching groups I'm in is looking at creating a coin. To that end I've put this together and would like some feedback from people outside the group.

I understand that this coin may not be appealing to all viewers... :) I am not asking for or looking for discussion regarding christianity and people's personal viewpoints. What I am looking for is a critique of this coin as a basic design on its technical merit.

<snip>

You mentioned that the compass points to Christ; it also points to "GeoCachers", "Fellowship", and "Christian". ; ) So I'd recommend doing something to indicate the compass' "north" cardinal point -- classically this is usually the fleur-de-lis, but could be anything (like a cross, or a flame, or a dove, or a lily).

I'd also recommend that the text on the side of the coin with the compass be in all caps, or initial caps (that is, all caps wth slightly larger letters where you've got capital letters in the original). I can't say why, other than to say that I just prefer all caps on coins (though I think the mixed case is fine on the coin's reverse, as mixed case is more readable for blocks of text IMO).

I like the fact that you've kept the coin pretty simple, but I'd also be interested in hearing whether this will be 3-D or whether there will be color involved, as well.

Have fun!

Edited to add: how about using some glow-in-the-dark paint on the compass, or for a flame of some kind, or both? That way, you'll have light in the darkness and tie into the coin's theme. - JG

Edited by Jackalgirl

You mentioned that the compass points to Christ; it also points to "GeoCachers", "Fellowship", and "Christian". ; ) So I'd recommend doing something to indicate the compass' "north" cardinal point -- classically this is usually the fleur-de-lis, but could be anything (like a cross, or a flame, or a dove, or a lily).

I'd also recommend that the text on the side of the coin with the compass be in all caps, or initial caps (that is, all caps wth slightly larger letters where you've got capital letters in the original). I can't say why, other than to say that I just prefer all caps on coins (though I think the mixed case is fine on the coin's reverse, as mixed case is more readable for blocks of text IMO).

I like the fact that you've kept the coin pretty simple, but I'd also be interested in hearing whether this will be 3-D or whether there will be color involved, as well.

Have fun!

Edited to add: how about using some glow-in-the-dark paint on the compass, or for a flame of some kind, or both? That way, you'll have light in the darkness and tie into the coin's theme. - JG

Jackalgirl, you'n'I are thinking allong the same path, i just couldn't find a Compass rose that was nice and tidy that had a long arm or one that had a north pole that I liked. I really don't like coins that are super elaborate just for the sake of being elaborate. I would rather have a coin that does the job and is professional looking instead of being campy.

the ALL CAPS idea is really great and I'll play around with it to see what i can do to make that look good...

Right now the coin Design is based (in my mind) on a burnished brass/antiqued silver coin but definately can look at doing an alternate version that is in full colour. I was planning on having the original coin be a 3D coin as opposed to etched. If i'm going to buy something, its gotta be pretty darned good.

glow in the dark paint... interesting. I'm wondering if that can be applied so that you can't tell that its painted in the light and you can only see the design in the dark and thereby be suprised by the effect. anyone know??

At this point what you see is what I have for plans.... meaning that anything is possible.

This one is based on what we think will end up being the groups official Logo on the front.

I do know that they do not match at the moment as the front has black lines between colors and the back does not. I will be adding the lines to the back to make the two sides work, i just didn't have the time right now to do it.

I am aware that the Web Address is not active at the moment but will be by time we create this coin. The website, for those interested, can be found here.

What do you all think of this version?

"In The Light V3"

walkinthelightv21fbflatml8.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

*edited to resize image*

Edited by PsYkO.ns

Thank you all for your kind words... and your interest.

After all this work, I've submitted my artwork to a Geocoin company (who's work i know and trust for their excellence) for them to render it and prepare it for minting so that I can offer it up for sale.

The group I'm with has a small core that will purchase this coin. Without knowing fully, i have guestimated that approximately 10 of us would actually buy the coin and in quantities of 1-10, which means that we can count on a range of 25 - 50 coins purchased within the group... having said that, the group itself is just shy of 50 members and many only pop in occasionally and they may be watching for a coin sale and that may well push the sales up to 100 coins.

This leaves us quite short on numbers when the company says that an economical price really becomes available at 250 coins.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i need to open up the order to other peoples... to the tune of 100 - 150 coins. I will have the final artwork some time this week for you to see as well as the cost of the coin, i've been given a rough estimate of 13 dollars as a high cost for the coin with low minting, and 6 as the low cost for high minting... I do plan, if possible, to have an LE version and a few other metal differences(Silver/Copper/Brass/Ect) to make larger orders more palatable.

What I would like to know now is the following as a sort of PreOrder:

Would you buy my "In the Light" coin and how many would you buy?

I can respect that, however i would ask you to consider the following:

if you are like me and wish to have 10 coins... and we have the higher order price (6$) then you will be paying 60.00.

if you use that same 60.00 to buy coins at the lower order price of ($14) then you will only be able to get about 4 coins.

so, using the logic of more for less, if you really do want more coins, please indicate so here... this is the preorder area where we are going to be able to base our price and no commitment is required.

if you indicate that you would like to have 10 coins... then thats 10 coins closer to our optimal price.

cheers.

Update on this preorder phase.

Currently we have

20 coins guaranteed purchase(myself)

18 coins Promised with names

41 coins Promised with no names

I've had 15 responces on the Geocachers4christ.com website (we got the domain finally) of whom only 3 of us have actually indicated how many are wanted. ( I didn't leave a slot for 20 so i indicated 10).

I've had 8 people who have indicated here that they want the coin but only 2 have stated in what quantities... I will be emailing the remainder to determine their level of interest.

as it stands right now, with no money exchanged and no final artwork provided (although on its way) I have 79 coins spoken for. that Leaves me with 171 coins to get commitments on before i can put forward the order at the rate quoted to me. in only a few short days, with no artwork, this is encouraging. I am hoping that once I can show the final artwork, more people will jump on the bandwagon and we will be able to fill the 250 quota to keep the lower price.

If I cannot get the numbers neccessary I will find out how much the lower quantities will cost and will pass that information on to everyone. preferrably we can get these coins for as cheap as possible, but this run will go through regardless of numbers and I plan to have coins in peoples hands sometime in the new year at the latest.

Those who have contacted me first( and i am keeping track, will get first pick on what coins they want and will be given first shot at the limited edition coins. if you wait you may find that the specific coin you want is sold out, although at least one of the editions of the coin will be available for purchase in as high a number as there are orders. Please note that " In the Light" is intended to be the first in a series of coins and as such I don't intend to do a second run of this coin in particular so get it while you can.