Help >> New Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

usedtobelieve

I just bought a GPSMAP 60SCx and I have only tried GeoCaching once but I entered all the points in manually. I downloaded the plugin to send cache points to my GPS but everytime I download it, I don't know where it goes.

Can someone give me a short beginners instructions to using this GPS for Geocaching. Thanks!

I would say first read the book that came with the gps...

i have the 60cs not csx... but i'm sure they are similar.... the easiest way to find them is go to the map screen... zoom out and you'll see them.. you can hit the page button til you get to the menu where the icon says goecache.... enter that one and there they are....

I just bought a GPSMAP 60SCx and I have only tried GeoCaching once but I entered all the points in manually. I downloaded the plugin to send cache points to my GPS but everytime I download it, I don't know where it goes.

Can someone give me a short beginners instructions to using this GPS for Geocaching. Thanks!

I would say first read the book that came with the gps...

i have the 60cs not csx... but i'm sure they are similar.... the easiest way to find them is go to the map screen... zoom out and you'll see them.. you can hit the page button til you get to the menu where the icon says goecache.... enter that one and there they are....

I did the thing you said for zooming out on the map, and I found the points, but when I hit page, there's no "GeoCache" icon... unless I'm missing it.

If you are using the send to gps button on the cache page you will have to push the find button on your gps then highlight waypoints then push enter and they will be there.

If you are using the garmin POIloader then on the gps push find button highlight custom POI and hit the enter button.

If you are using the send to gps button on the cache page you will have to push the find button on your gps then highlight waypoints then push enter and they will be there.

If you are using the garmin POIloader then on the gps push find button highlight custom POI and hit the enter button.

Perfection! It works!

Now, I was reading someone else's post about downloading waypoints and there are programs that download hints also. Is there a program I can use for my GPSMAP 60SCx?

EDIT: Ooooooh!! It looks like they are using these programs on their Palms.. I see I see..

Edited by usedtobelieve

If you are not yet you should become a premium member. This allows you to download pocket queies and alot of other useful stuff.

I use GSAK. This will allow you to upload more then one cache at a time into your gps. Thats were the pocket queries come in handy. You can download them from geocaching site and then load them into gsak and then upload them into your gps with hints and other info.

If you search the forums about gsak you can find lots of info about the program and what and how to do it. GSAK also has their own forum board with lots of info on it.

The 60CSx only allows you to load 1000 waypoints into it. The way around that is to use the custon POIs option and this also allows you to put more info onto each one.

If you do it that way you will have to go to garmin website and download the POI loader program.

The 60CSx only allows you to load 1000 waypoints into it. The way around that is to use the custon POIs option and this also allows you to put more info onto each one.

If you do it that way you will have to go to garmin website and download the POI loader program.

I've had my GPSMapCSx for nearly a year now, but I have never heard about that facility before. I use a PDA for all the logs and hints, but having them on the GPSr would be a lot more convenient. Can you expand on this POI loader program please?

I've had my GPSMapCSx for nearly a year now, but I have never heard about that facility before. I use a PDA for all the logs and hints, but having them on the GPSr would be a lot more convenient. Can you expand on this POI loader program please?

THe POI loader can load a very large set of caches from a GPX file onto your GPS. It can also make better use of the description field and use longer names.

PROS: you can get hints, partial descriptions and code addtional information into the name field using GSAK and you can literally download thousands of caches. It is free.

CONS: you cannot use the geocaching mode of your GPS as they are loaded as points of Interest, you still can't see the full description text and no previous logs.

The POI text field is intended for an address & phone number, so it's limited in size (88 characters, IIRC). So while you can usually get most or all of a hint stored in one, don't expect it to replace a PDA.

I also have this GPS and tried finding a Multi-Cache the other day.

When I completed the first stage, I needed to somehow get the coords of the second stage into the GPS. Without having my PC onsite to accomplish this I just started walking around to get the coords numbers to match up. I finally completed stage 2...

But I wonder if there is a way to manually add the coords into the unit with out a pc...

Anybody familar with this device.

I also have this GPS and tried finding a Multi-Cache the other day.

When I completed the first stage, I needed to somehow get the coords of the second stage into the GPS. Without having my PC onsite to accomplish this I just started walking around to get the coords numbers to match up. I finally completed stage 2...

But I wonder if there is a way to manually add the coords into the unit with out a pc...

Anybody familar with this device.

Easy. Press the Mark button, then toggle down 3 times. The co-ords will he highlighted. Press enter, then use the right and left arrows to scroll though the numbers, changing them as you want. Select OK when the new co-ords are correct, then toggle down twice to OK in the bottom right hand corner and hit the enter button. Done!

i HAVE A 60CSX AND AM HAVING TROUBLE CONNECTING TO PC. i HAVE DOWNLAOD MANY CACHES WITH eASYGPS BUT NOW IT SAYS I AM NOT CONNECTED WHEN i AM HOOKED UP AS I DID BEFORE....help please.

I have tried on both my PC and laptop.

Have you tried a different USB cable? That fixed mine when I had a similar problem. Also, does your USB port work OK with other devices?

By the way, I use MapSource which came with the GPSr to download up to 500 waypoints into it in about 3 seconds. With two clicks of the mouse, it's certainly the simplest way I have found to do it.