Connect to Laptop

I believe I have seen a topic about being able to connect a Garmin handheld to a laptop and view your current position on the laptop screen. I seem to remember something about a download needed from the Garmin website, but can not locate anything. Does anyone have any information on how to do this and what is required? If it helps, I have a Garmin Vista HCX with City Navigator 2008 installed. Thanks!

Whether or not you need another download depends on the mapping program you are going to display your position on. The unit is only sending the coords, not doing the plotting.

I use Microsoft S&T for this purpose. On that program, I merely open the map, click tools, and tell it to track. I do have to go into the GPS unit also, and change the interface to NMEA, or something like that.

By loading pushpins into the map from GSAK for cache locations, and running the GPSr in this fashion, I can see on the map where I am in relation to the nearest cache, and which streets will get me to the proper location.

I use microsoft streets and trips 2007 for navigation with my laptop. I had to play with the settings on my GPS and match them to the program. It is kind of picky. Also, I had to use only one USB port to do it. S&T only wants to use com ports 1-4, and my USB ports are com 4, 5 and 6.

S&T runs about 40-50 bucks. Cheaper than the expanded map CDs most of these GPS companies sell.